Home Surveillance system recommendation?

I remember seeing something similar and many people were pretty surprised at how welcoming their dogs were to strangers. Mine rarely bark and when they do I try not to discourage them from it.

We have

1 Honeywell Skybell Doorbell Camera

3 EZVIZ C3WN exterior 1080p wifi cameras.

1 EZVIZ C6CN interior camera that is only powered on while we are away.

plus a rock solid security system designed by me (it was my industry) covering 16 windows in our home, plus three motions and fire.
Total cost under $1000 and no monthly fees but again, this was my occupation, so took the best of my knowledge and did it for a fun project as we live in an area where break in is not a concern, yet, wow, great piece of mind and undefeatable

With that said, it all comes down to what you want to spend. The EZVIZ exterior C3WN is a super simple INEXPENSIVE, reliable, killer easy to hook up, great app to view camera. The catch is for night vision, the IR will somehow attract bugs even though you cant see the light creating lots of false recordings and of course when it rains but this would be common with an IR night vision cameras, I leave the IR off, as I have also motion triggered spot lights, so the spot lights turning on trigger the cameras.
The day vision is outstanding, the wifi reliability is outstanding. There is no recorder, it records video clips on motion, saves it to a micro sd card, you access through an app on your phone or home computer.

Ok the downside is EZVIZ is actually a division of world famous HikVision which is why I purchased them. HiVision is one the worlds leader in commercial video, problem is as you might know, also a company in China that now, government offices here will no longer allow their equipment in government buildings, spying concerns. I honestly cant say if I would still purchase these cameras for my home but I do like them very much.
You will need to run a power line, personally I would never install a battery operated camera. Long term for me means a power line. I have installed soooo many cameras (not this brand though) Honeywell and Alarm.com wi-fi cameras as well as Honeywell DVR cameras, running wires, more so a thin low voltage wire is always doable.

The Honeywell Slim Skybell Camera is a nice doorbell camera, good super clear video as good as the EZVIZ cameras. Honeywell did have some issues with motion recording on these cameras (as any manufacturer) things is they because less sensitive in hot weather as the camera can not "see' the body heat of a person as well. I knew enough about this camera to call Honeywell Tech Support, they actually uploaded to my camera remotely a beta of new firmware, it is MUCH improved, this was well over a year ago and very happy with this camera, personally I have installed hundreds of them on homes.

Ok, now here is an issue with many wifi cameras that only record clips on motion, but its not really a problem just be aware. Most of these cameras use "contrast: to detect motion, so you will have a lot of recorded clips lets say when even a cloud passes over, as the camera see the change in light as motion. Its doesnt matter, but some camera makers advertise these things are motion alarms, Ummm no way, the thing would be going off every second.
Being non wifi DVR cameras record all the time, motion or not, its not an issue but if you think about it, either way you will have video is someone comes in range of the camera.
The recording options on the EZVIZ are very robust. Again, all these cameras take some commitment to properly set up.

In an ideal world a combination of contrast motion recording and passive motion recording would be perfect, but there are not many out there.

I need to comment on Simply Safe, to me, its play stuff, though its not bad but its not going to stop a career junky from breaking into a home, heck almost no system will but the fault for me for the Simply Safe IS Simply This.
Anyone with any knowledge can enter a Simply Safe home, the countdown timer starts and if you are good and find the cone unit right away, just pick it up and throw it in the refrigerator. This will prevent the wireless cell unit from sending a signal to central station as the refrigerator is lined with metal, its stops cell signals! Try it with your own cell phone. So if you are using a Simply Safe System you should always set the system to "instant" and remember to turn it off before you enter your home.
Reading reviews online from national review sites such as CNET ect is a joke and reminds me how dumb reporters are now a days. People actually think these sites know what they are talking about. They are pushing products, its all fake news.
I wonder if any of them tell you that if you turn your alarm system on at night, anyone can enter your home through a window and rob you without the system going off, because most people are too cheap to purchase window contacts for EACH window, that is all ok IF you only care about a break-in while you are away and have at least 2 motion detectors in the home.

There is a MUCH MUCH better system on the market, their marketing just isnt as good as Simply Safes but the other company is much, much, much more professional equipment, costing about the same and same cost for monitoring . However it should be mounted on a wall, at least my feelings ..
https://www.covesmart.com/home-rsos...msclkid=b4154541526a1c1f30de1a465da73319

I have not tested this system ^^^ just my thoughts

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml
Recommend Blink cameras from Amazon.

Cameras run on 2 AA batteries each for over a year. Activated by motion sensors.

Easy to set up and run from you Smartphone. You can even schedule when cameras are active.

No wiring required.

No annual cloud fees.

High traffic streets, sidewalks and driveway views aimed at the sidewalk and street are why I disable the motion sensor feature. I want 24/7 monitoring for the house. I could use motion sensor capabilities for camera-aim of the driveway that points opposite towards the garage, but I don't. I could also use motion sensor capabilities for a complete backyard view across the back of the house, but I prefer not to.

If the motion sensor doesn't pick-up the small 20lb dog in the backyard that just got seriously sick because a nearby squirrel from a nearby, large city park dropped spoiled food and my dog ate it, then what good is that motion camera? How about the racoon that just ate the zucchini out of my garden? I want t see things like that 24/7.

I use a basic 4-camera system from Guardian Alarm Co..... biggest security company in Michigan. Pay for the install - then $20 per month. They always free-replace anything defective over the years.... DVR, monitors and cameras.

I will look into SimpliSafe.

I've got a Q-See system I picked up from Costco and installed myself. I have a few more cameras I need to install just too hot to get up in the attic to run the wiring at the moment. I've had this for a few years and am pretty happy overall. The user interface kind of stinks and I occasionally have to reboot it for remote viewing to work. The mobile app resolution isn't great or very intuitive but maybe they've figured things out with newer systems. I leave mine on full time record and I think I get about 2 weeks before it writes over the old stuff with the way it's configured. The Chinese can probably spy on me but I don't care. I think it was right around a $1,000 for the NVR and 8 cameras. I got a quote from a local company which was $8,000 for 8 cams. That was too rich for my blood although I'm sure it would've been better stuff.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 77Se7en

Cameras run on 2 AA batteries each for over a year. Activated by motion sensors.

Easy to set up and run from you Smartphone. You can even schedule when cameras are active.

No wiring required.

No annual cloud fees.

High traffic streets, sidewalks and driveway views aimed at the sidewalk and street are why I disable the motion sensor feature. I want 24/7 monitoring for the house. I could use motion sensor capabilities for camera-aim of the driveway that points opposite towards the garage, but I don't. I could also use motion sensor capabilities for a complete backyard view across the back of the house, but I prefer not to.

If the motion sensor doesn't pick-up the small 20lb dog in the backyard that just got seriously sick because a nearby squirrel from a nearby, large city park dropped spoiled food and my dog ate it, then what good is that motion camera? How about the racoon that just ate the zucchini out of my garden? I want t see things like that 24/7.

I use a basic 4-camera system from Guardian Alarm Co..... biggest security company in Michigan. Pay for the install - then $20 per month. They always free-replace anything defective over the years.... DVR, monitors and cameras.

I just setup the 3 camera Blink system I got a few days ago (cost $199) in the house to make sure the entire system functions (which is does), now just have to mount the cameras outside. You can pick motion sensor pick-up zones and sensitivity for each camera individually through the Blink App ... it's very adjustable.

The idea behind the motion sensing (which turns the camera on) used to see live video, record and store videos in the Blink cloud is so the battery life will last a long time ... they say 1 to 2 years of battery life unless it's being triggered to send live video and record too much. The cameras are meant to sense motion and come on, not be a constant video monitor like the security system in a store.

The Blink App is actually pretty slick, and they are continually improving it. Blink is owned by Amazon, so that tells me they will strive to make a well functioning system, and any improvement updates will be pushed through the App.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
You are daft to post about your surveillance system on line...

In my case, you come to my house you can see my Ring. What about "protected by xxx" signs? Deterrent or tipoff?

Any system that is known is easily defeated... a unknown system is harder to defeat... thieves like being tipped off...

Originally Posted by wwillson
SimpliSafe - I work with technology for a living and didn't want a complex system that I would have to explain to others in my house. I was stunned at how simple the set up is and how simple it is to use. Sold.

+1 and it works well.

Does SimpliSafe have surveillance cameras, or is it more like a security system without cameras?

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by hardcore302
German Shepherd

^ Best

Where I'm from they'll steal everything that's not welded down.
Including the german shepherd.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by hardcore302
German Shepherd

^ Best

Where I'm from they'll steal everything that's not welded down.
Including the german shepherd.

A place I used to work at installed security cameras to deal with a theft problem. When the thieves showed up again they stole the cameras.

I bought a Wyze cam on a special at home Depot. Initially it was poor and unreliable. Recently the software/app/firmware has gotten to the point that I really like it. I especially like that you can record to internal memory, access it remotely, but it also uploads events to the cloud. So you get some of the best of both worlds.

I also got a blink cam. It's ok. For the price it should be much better than Wyze, and it isn't. It has no internal or local storage and is event based. I continuously get false triggers on one. But I'm not returning it either...

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

No wiring required.

No annual cloud fees.

I just setup the 3 camera Blink system I got a few days ago (cost $199) in the house to make sure the entire system functions (which is does), now just have to mount the cameras outside. You can pick motion sensor pick-up zones and sensitivity for each camera individually through the Blink App ... it's very adjustable.

The idea behind the motion sensing (which turns the camera on) used to see live video, record and store videos in the Blink cloud is so the battery life will last a long time ... they say 1 to 2 years of battery life unless it's being triggered to send live video and record too much. The cameras are meant to sense motion and come on, not be a constant video monitor like the security system in a store.

The Blink App is actually pretty slick, and they are continually improving it. Blink is owned by Amazon, so that tells me they will strive to make a well functioning system, and any improvement updates will be pushed through the App.

You are 100% correct. Any decent motion sensing camera company allows you to choose the areas that you want to detect motion in and is available with any of the motion WIFI cameras mentioned in this thread.

Any of these WIFI cameras, you really have to WANT to make it work, that means, learning how to set up and use the app, there are so many options to configure it the way you want. If you dont do that, you will most likely never be happy with any WIFI camera and should stick to the tried and true hardwire cameras with a DVR/NVR.
For WiFi cameras you need to have the most basic understanding of your wifi network, making sure your router is properly placed and set up and its of decent quality. Its all simple stuff but most people unhappy with these cameras dont have the "want" to make it work. I mean some simple stuff like searching, proper placement of wifi routers, proper set up of wifi routers, to insure your getting good signal all around your home.
Not only that, your CELL PHONE, good god, some people have so much junk on their cell phones, no apps will work right. I cant tell you the countless number of customers cell phones were loaded up with so much crap and spent up to 25 minutes cleaning up. People like that will never be happy with these cameras.

If looking for well priced cameras with Rock Solid APP for your phone. Being this company is part of the worlds largest security camera company, they work pretty darn good for the money and again, I think the app is second to nothing in this price range, in fact, second to none anyplace, further more they are always updating and improving it. I am using the iPhone app for the EZVIZ, my wife the Android version both work well.
Night vision motion recording on any of these cameras are a bit more of a challenge. The night vision itself is outstanding, however on any of them you will have your share of bugs attracted to inferred light setting it off at night, as well as rain. Like I said its your determined to make it work you can, you can just leave it on and have a lot of clips recorded and then if ever need and a break in occurs you can go through them all OR like I did, leave the inferred off and have the night cameras record when my motion spot lights come on. What is most cool, right from the app you can turn on and off the IR light on the cameras and instantly see in pitch black darkness.

I mean my god, I paid $50 each for these cameras, maybe even got them on sale for $39. Plus $10 for a 64GB memory card. I mean, another version of this camera was a PC Magazine Editors choice.
Its the closest thing I found (does not mean there is nothing better) that behaves like the more professional ones I installed for consumers on their homes with their Security systems. Though granted its hard to beat Alarm.com and Honeywell at MUCH higher cost, the app works almost as good which is amazing.EZVIZ C3WN exterior 1080p wifi cameras.

EZVIZ C3WN - outdoor camera
EZVIZ C6CN - interior camera

If interested in a doorbell camera Honeywell Skybell is really good, expensive but no monthly charges.

Again, any of these devices, you have to understand they will only work as good as the WiFi network they are on and that includes upload speed of your internet, should be at least 12Mbps.

The other comments regarding other cameras in here are all valid, Im just saying what I use and why.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

No wiring required.

No annual cloud fees.

You are 100% correct. Any decent motion sensing camera company allows you to choose the areas that you want to detect motion in and is available with any of the motion WIFI cameras mentioned in this thread.

Homes on my block are on-top of each other. I can open my side door and spit on the house next to me. My backyard is only 100 feet deep. When I leave my front door, I'm only several steps from the sidewalk and easement grass.
Motion sensing is a real PITA for me. No thanks. I want 24/7 monitoring that's wired..... that someone else repairs or replaces faulty equipment. A $20 a month bill is still $250 less than what people spend on car rentals/leasing. $20 is what some waste their money on daily, for a pack of cigarettes and a six-pack of beer.

The best part about my choice of system?...... I see everything 24/7. Don't miss out on anything that's outside the motion zone.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
knerml said:

No wiring required.

No annual cloud fees.

High traffic streets, sidewalks and driveway views aimed at the sidewalk and street are why I disable the motion sensor feature. I want 24/7 mo.....

Homes on my block are on-top of each other. I can open my side door and spit on the house next to me. My backyard is only 100 feet deep. When I leave my front door, I'm only several steps from the sidewalk and easement grass.
Motion sensing is a real PITA for me. No thanks. I want 24/7 monitoring that's wired..... that someone else repairs or replaces faulty equipment. A $20 a month bill is still $250 less than what people spend on car rentals/leasing. $20 is what some waste their money on daily, for a pack of cigarettes and a six-pack of beer.

The best part about my choice of system?...... I see everything 24/7. Don't miss out on anything that's outside the motion zone.

There is nothing wrong with your system, no one system is right from everyone. We ALL spend money based on what something is worth to us.
The photos of my system above and all the features, cost me less then $200 and that's it. No other costs, no other monthly costs.
I live in an area where there is no crime, I did this for fun since I was in the business, never say never and its cool having cameras.

There is one negative to your system, and its a big one, if your home is ever broken into and the thief is halfway intelligent, he will take the recorder and poof, no evidence, no photos, no video, with a wifi camera system, everything is stored on a card or the cloud if you opt to pay for it, no recorder to steal and will always have the video and photos.

Last edited:
Back