Home Made Kefir "Beer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't drink alcohol, at least not store bought booze, but I've been making this for a week or so now and I love it.

H20Kefir.jpg

It's made with pH 7 - 7.5 pure water, raw sugar, kefir grains, and fruit, and is ready in 1 to 3 days. It tastes like fruity, mild beer and is absolutely delicious. I drank 12 oz today and felt a slight beer buzz while changing the oil in my Kawasaki ZR 7S. Would have been nice to drink a quart or two of this stuff. I'll bet that would have given me a better buzz.
06.gif

This is a very healthy probiotic drink but it can probably be taken to excess, just like anything else.

What's in those jars sure looks tempting.

Just a factoid: the Maasai of Kenya and Tanzania drink an interesting concoction. If you are their guest of honor they will offer you a cow's blood mixed with milk. The blood is taken from a cow by shooting an arrow into the animal's jugular vein. After the blood has been taken, a mixture of saliva and mud is rubbed into the wound. A hollowed out gourd is rinsed with cow's urine before the warm drink is served.

Originally Posted By: Shuttler
You could also look into Kumis.

Nah, no thanks. If my health advisor doesn't know about it, it's most likely not worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1

Just a factoid: the Maasai of Kenya and Tanzania drink an interesting concoction. If you are their guest of honor they will offer you a cow's blood mixed with milk. The blood is taken from a cow by shooting an arrow into the animal's jugular vein. After the blood has been taken, a mixture of saliva and mud is rubbed into the wound. A hollowed out gourd is rinsed with cow's urine before the warm drink is served.

Doesn't sound appealing at all.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm now a vegetarian. Animal foods don't appeal to me at all any more.

I used to drink kombucha but this sounds like a better alternative. Where do you buy the 'kefir grains'? Kefir, as far as I know, is a yogurt like drink in Russia.

I've never drank kombucha but I've heard of it. You can buy real grains on eBay for about $10 or someone on a kefir forum may give them to you. The grains sold at health food stores only last a few times.

If you want to make water kefir, it's best to get water kefir grains. Milk kefir grains can be used but it takes a while to get them to convert.

I used to make milk kefir a lot. It's tastes great, but I no longer choose to eat animal foods.

I'll bet you'll like it. Real kefir grains grow all the time and if you make kefir often you will be removing grains from your mixture and throwing them away or giving them away.

This site, Dom's, is one of the best sources of kefir info :

Dom's Kefir Site

PS - They say water kefir only contains about 1/10th the alcohol of beer.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1

Doesn't sound appealing at all.

No, it does not. Someone mentioned kuomiss and I thought I should mention something worse.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Seems more like a wine than beer.

It's probably more like champagne than anything else. Going to drink a cup or two of it today. I have about 4 quarts of it that should be ready today and tomorrow.
cool.gif

It reminds me of beer or champagne but the buzz I get from it is mostly imaginary. I'd have to drink about a gallon of it to get the same alcohol as in 12 oz of beer.

Looks like kvas--a popular Russian summer drink.
If you like stronger taste, toast some rye bread pieces and added them to the mix. Substituting honey for sugar also changes taste slightly.

When I lived in Guam, some of the old timers would make a fermented drink out of coconut milk, it was called "tuba." It was not very good, a acquired taste at best.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
It reminds me of beer or champagne

It tastes like liquid chicken. It could be anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back