Hobby turned into obsession!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just nuts - not a year ago, I had two lone rifles - a sporter No.1 Mk.3 Enfield, and a Savage 93GL.

In the last seven months, I've acquired:

-Savage Mk. II GL (currently being tacticool'ed)
-Savage 10FLCP-K
-Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine, re-barreled so I can go plinking with it at a gravel pit (and not just a range).
-Remington 870 Express LH. Just finished the transfer yesterday!

I also purchased a Honeywell safe. Three hundred pounds of back-breaking fury!!!
grin2.gif

Next purchase coming up:

Savage 111FLNS in .270 Win. The 10FLCP-K weighs ALOT, more than any rifle I'd want to trek around with in the bush. Besides, I want a bit more 'oomph' than the stock .308 in the ten.
wink.gif

I'm thinking of an SKS-D, whenever one comes up for sale. That 7.62x39mm ammo is dirt cheap, cheaper than 9mm bulk!

I may get an M-14 with synthetic stock. Time and funds will tell!

How do you like the Storm?

I considered it, but was turned off by the price (especially post-election). For playing and plinking, I got a KelTec-sub2000; I like it. But I would be the first to agree that it's no Beretta ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Next purchase coming up:

Savage 111FLNS in .270 Win. The 10FLCP-K weighs ALOT, more than any rifle I'd want to trek around with in the bush. Besides, I want a bit more 'oomph' than the stock .308 in the ten.
wink.gif

Actually the 308 holds a slight edge in the "oomph" department.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
How do you like the Storm?

I considered it, but was turned off by the price (especially post-election). For playing and plinking, I got a KelTec-sub2000; I like it. But I would be the first to agree that it's no Beretta ...

I love my Storm. I'll also be the first to admit that I would not trust it out of the box - but boy, when you tinker a bit and get it working reliably, it WORKS!

Turbo: Not sure what I was thinking. However, cheap .270 ammo is decently abundant here. .308 is a rather "hot" commodity.

Besides, I have to *somewhat* justify the purchase to myself, somehow.
grin2.gif

What kind of tinkering did the Storm require?

For that kind of money, from a brand name like Beretta, I'd like to think it would be flawless.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Turbo: Not sure what I was thinking. However, cheap .270 ammo is decently abundant here. .308 is a rather "hot" commodity.

Plus in a pinch if you reload you can use 30-06 brass (which is abundant) to load 270 rounds.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Where are you finding that cheap 7.62x39 ammo? Is it corrosive? What kind of prices are you getting it at?

Yes, do tell. My Kalashnikov could use a good feeding.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
What kind of tinkering did the Storm require?

For that kind of money, from a brand name like Beretta, I'd like to think it would be flawless.

Alot of the problems are mag-related, but you can see in the design of the rifle where the problem truly lies. It's also wickedly sensitive to levels of lubrication. All the "buttons" may or may not work, but once you crack it open, you see how basic of a firearm it really is (hence why very little "true" gunsmithing is required).

For you US folks, just get a basic AR with ironsights. The Storm was designed for countries that have the same regulations (roughly) as Kalifornia. For myself, it was the only ambidextrous semi-auto on the market with a detachable mag.

For ammo, I'm comparing to Canadian prices. Bulk 9mm UMC runs about $320/1k, you can pick up a 1200 count of surplus 7.62x39mm for about $200. Most of that surplus is corrosive. Even 9mm commercial reloads are in the ballpark of $250.

I'm pretty sure the 111FLNS will see my safe shortly. But for now, a recoil-reducing spec-ops stock!
grin2.gif

Gotta love Savage, I used to be a Remington guy but I really came to dislike the brazed on bolt handles. My Savages are so accurate and the AccuTrigger is awesome that I rarely ever consider another brand unless I am looking for something with CRF.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Gotta love Savage, I used to be a Remington guy but I really came to dislike the brazed on bolt handles. My Savages are so accurate and the AccuTrigger is awesome that I rarely ever consider another brand unless I am looking for something with CRF.

+1

There's a reason over half my safe is filled with Savages!

Here's to a needless *bump*.
smirk2.gif

Actually, my Savage 111-FLNS will be on hold for a while. I just put in an order for a Norinco M-14S battle rifle. Our major supplier in Canada got some new stock - just under a hundred rifles actually - and they were all sold within the day. Of course - who can resist at $425CAD?
grin2.gif

It'll be one heck of a deer gun!

I have a Norinco AK. It's a very well built gun. Sturdy, thick sheet metal receiver, and hard chrome plated bore, bolt and bolt carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back