Hit a milestone today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 97 Camry with the 4 cylinder 5SFE engine went over 250K today. I realize that this is small potatoes for many of you, but I was pleased. We bought the car with 78K miles and since we bought it, the regime has been exclusively synthetic oil (mostly M1 or M1HM) changed every 5K. As I posted several weeks ago, the mechanic at the Toyota dealer who changed the valve cover gasket described the top engine as absolutely spotless. Given the history of that engine, I am pretty pleased.

Our shop truck is @ 381K now. Looks like cheap oil changed every 8-10k is adequate
smile.gif

It's original clutch lasted 369K!

Last edited:
First of all, congratulations on making it to 250k. Don't laugh, but I reached 10k last weekend.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"Hitting a milestone" isn't necessarily good. Curious to know the derivation of that phrase.

It really should be reaching a milestone. Milestones are the mile markers on the sides of the road. You don't want to hit one. As with many old fashioned quotes, misuse is common and even accepted by many.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

My 03 Honda CRV is at 146,000 miles. I'll be happy at 150,000 miles and will have a real celebration at 250,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"Hitting a milestone" isn't necessarily good. Curious to know the derivation of that phrase.

mile·stone[mahyl-stohn]
noun
1.a stone functioning as a milepost.

2.a significant event or stage in the life, progress, development, or the like of a person, nation, etc.: Her getting the job of supervisor was a milestone in her career.
Origin:1740–50; mile + stone

I suspect reaching a milestone would be more appropriate

Haven't had any major mechanical problems at all, unless you consider replacing the steering rack to be major. That seems to be a real issue with those Camrys. The transmission seems to be really solid; it's an automatic and still shifts well with no slipping. This car was driven by my step daughter in college and looked awful. Three years ago I had it painted by Peach Auto Body in Charlotte and it still looks really good. I wanted pictures of the upper engine when the valve cover was replaced but couldn't hang around the dealership while the work was being done. I will take some pictures of the paint job and post them when I get the chance. We use this as our extra car and it serves that function extremely well. I'll drive it to DC in July as couple of friends and I go to some Nationals games.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Our 97 Camry with the 4 cylinder 5SFE engine went over 250K today.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Good deal, post back when it hits 3k.
Perhaps this was meant to be 300k miles?

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Haven't had any major mechanical problems at all, unless you consider replacing the steering rack to be major.
Yeah, I do.
cry.gif
Here's why: Mine required replacement 2 years ago to the tune of a cool grand. Lots of [censored] labor in that job and I had neither the time nor the expertise nor the tools to do it, so I had my mechanic do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back