High School ( Then and now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This something I cut and pasted for fun, not a political statement.

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenar io 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapon s.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college..
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.
2007- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

In 1957 I was in the 8th grade in Fairfield California. For show and tell one day one of the guys brought his fathers WWII war trophy Luger pistol to class and showed how to field strip it.

He had permission form the teacher and principal to bring it to school.

Quote:
Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

or if in a South Dallas high school or E. Dallas H Grady Spruce,
2007- Johnny and Mark get locked in a cage and bare knuckle fight with students and staff betting on the winner. Then it becomes a major news story with the results of who gets take the fall still to be determined.

Scenerio 9 (which I witnessed yesterday)

Johnny, Barbara, Jenny, Billy, Kenny, Andy, Amy, and the rest of the class of '57 all walk to school or take the bus.

1957: Mom gives them their sack lunch and a kiss and sends them on their way.

2009: (In Dallas) The kids' respective parents buys Johnny, Barbara, Jenny, Billy, Kenny, Andy, Amy, and the rest of the class of '09 BMW 650i convertibles to drive to school (and they all text message each other while driving)

This is a true one from when I was in HS

1992: walk across the street, off-campus, to smoke. If the teacher doesn't see them on campus, you don't have them.

2009: If you smell like smoke you are asked to fess up the cigarettes. When the teacher sees the cigarettes they are required by law to turn you in. You are then mandated to attend drug addiction classes.

It was not uncommon for someone to have a shotgun in their vehicle, especially during hunting season. You'd be smart to keep it hidden so its not stolen.

So (sad) and true. There needs to be one about pocket knives. Now kids can't even bring plastic knives in their lunch boxes/bags.

There are too many psychos and troubled people to not be strict about a teenager bringing a gun to school. I'm only a little over two decades old so I don't have a clue what 1957 was like but I definitely would not feel safe if I knew that some of the kids around me in high school had guns.

I didn't get to school until 1958 - but at my primary school (for little kids,5 - 13) having a pineapple hand grenade was pretty cool,and you could swap it for lots more cool things.No one ever got told off for having a hand grenade at school (they were never live),and 303 ammo was practically legal tender.

These days the whole area would be roped off for days,and it would be prime time National news.I'm sure the kids would be pretty traumatised too....but we never were.

Scenario :
Johnny and Mark get into a fight on Saturday night.

1997 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Mark starts to hit Johnny when he is down. Mark's mates drag him off, smack him across the back of the head and call him weak.

2009 - Mark starts the fight with a king hit from behind, while wielding a broken beer glass. Johnny didn't see it coming and falls to the floor unconscious. Mark's mates then proceed to body kick and head stomp Johnny until the Police finally arrive and CS anyone still standing.

Once in grade school (circa 1966) me and a friend were chosen to spray paint some tumble weeds for a school play. We felt special. When we finished we had paint on our hands of course and since we were outside, the teacher brought a can of gasoline over so that we could clean our hands and a towel to dry them. We then went to lunch smelling like gas and everyone thought we were cool. I can just imagine nowadays that we would be taken to the hospital for possible lead poisoning, HAZMAT brought in for gas fumes in the lunchroom, and the teacher fired for endangering everyone's lives. **sigh**

I can remember seeing several hand grenades, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at school.

I remember in third or fourth grade I built a hot dog cooker that was shown in Popular Mechanics. It was nothing but two nails driven through a board, connected to the respective poles of an electrical plug. In other words exposed, live 120 volts. I plugged it in and it shorted the lights in the school because there was a short in the plug.

I started school the year JFK was shot because I remember my mother crying when I came home. In later years I dared not tell my father that a teacher smacked me (which happened occasionally) for fear of being smacked again. Today the parents would retain an attorney because their 'angel' was smacked.

PS: I don't ever recall being smacked when I didn't deserve it.

On the other hand, in junior high (what they called it then) we had a PE coach who played on our local semi-pro football team and was a sadist at heart. One day a person in the class was acting up and he lined the entire class up against the lockers for a beat down.

Justify that. If you can think of a way, let me assure you you aren't appreciating the gravity of the situation.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I can remember seeing several hand grenades, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at school.

I remember in third or fourth grade I built a hot dog cooker that was shown in Popular Mechanics. It was nothing but two nails driven through a board, connected to the respective poles of an electrical plug. In other words exposed, live 120 volts. I plugged it in and it shorted the lights in the school because there was a short in the plug.

I remember those being built in seventh-grade wood shop. The OSHA would themselves have a huge arc fault if that were carried out today! The grenades I also saw sometime IIRC in grade school.

Last edited:
In 1968 I took my single shot .410 shotgun and a hunting vest full of live ammo to school to use as my "costume" for the school play and musical. We had to march around the stage while singing songs from the movie "The Green Berets."

No one thought it was dangerous or odd. Of course, being in a very small rural area school where everyone knew everyone else helped. Plus we all the sense to know that we shouldn't shoot the gun while at the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back