high pressure fuel pump on GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone change one of these on a hyundai or kia? i got a code p0087 low fuel system/rail pressure. the car idles fine but when under load/acceleration it stumbles. everything i read indicates it is this pump. i don't trust the local dealership and my mechanic who i use for things i won't do like a head gasket --and always does a good job, says they haven't had to change one before. that doesn't make me feel very good. thinking about doing it myself and was wondering if anyone has changed one--- i've changed regular fuel pumps before but not one of these--cam driven on the head--new to me

Most common problem with the old Mitsubishi GDI was the fuel filter blocking at the pump. These are just a small filter same as used in an injector. I don't know if they carried that sort of technology over to Hyundai, but it'd be the first place I'd look before pulling a pump.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
anyone change one of these on a hyundai or kia? i got a code p0087 low fuel system/rail pressure. the car idles fine but when under load/acceleration it stumbles. everything i read indicates it is this pump. i don't trust the local dealership and my mechanic who i use for things i won't do like a head gasket --and always does a good job, says they haven't had to change one before. that doesn't make me feel very good. thinking about doing it myself and was wondering if anyone has changed one--- i've changed regular fuel pumps before but not one of these--cam driven on the head--new to me
Alldata calls for .5hr to do the job. Sits right on top the motor.

Looks pretty easy reading the service manual. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle the job, I'm sure your mechanic can handle it.

C'mon, fuel pumps were mechanical and ran off the cam in cars for decades before GDI.

It's a simple swap, looks downright easy...

It is a pretty simple job. The high pressure fuel pump normally put out 500-650psi at idle and 1300-1800psi under load. P0087 and your symptoms match a failed GDI fuel pump. To replace its easy , relieve the fuel pressure by pulling pump relay, undo 19mm barrel nut on fuel pump. Lastly two 10mm bolts hold the pump in place , evenly remove these . Installation is pretty much the reversal , just make sure to tighten down the 10mm bolts holding the pump to the head evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back