High pitched squeal from new muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states. So I just got a brand new muffler. It was bolted on vs being welded on which Is fine from my understanding. So I just took it on an 90 mile trip...I get back into town and roll the windows down and this muffler is making a high pitched squeal or screech while I'm accelerating. Any of you ever experienced this? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Well that's a given. But any of you ever heard of this? I know from the new muffler because I had a friend rev it while standing in back of the car.

Well that's a given. But any of you ever heard of this? I know from the new muffler because I had a friend rev it while standing in back of the car.

Well that's a given. But any of you ever heard of this? I know its from the new muffler because I had a friend rev it while standing in back of the car.

Proof that muffler bearings do in fact exist, and go bad.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
Originally Posted by oldhp
banana2.gif

Beat me to it!

Me, too. LOL
Hey, take it in and have it diagnosed by the crack technicians at Walmart!

Originally Posted by tightwad
banana2.gif

Beat me to it!

Me, too. LOL

+3

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by tightwad
banana2.gif

Beat me to it!

Me, too. LOL

+3

WALMART WILL NOT DO IT. STOP SENDING THESE LUNATICS TO ME. Then half of them want to fight because "Google said you do it". NO WE DON'T.

Bet it's a leak at the clamp. Idle the car and block the tip with a rag. If it's tight, it'll blow the rag back out. If there's a leak, you'll really hear it now.

Put some duct tape around both connecting points and see if the noise goes away. Then take it back to the shop and have them tighten it up right or repair it. Take the duct tape off right away before it gets burned on the exhaust.

Was it a stock sounding replacement? Might be either a leaking clamp if it was clamped on, or a baffle issue internally with the muffler.

GF has a muffler installed by Midas that was defective internally with so high backpressure the car did not run right. It did whistle. They did not make it right. I get a muffler from auto parts store and did what I should have done from the beginning and put it on, problem solved. I did report them to the state attorney general but nothing other than some Midas discount coupons ever arrived. Personally I have never darkened their doors again, and I have not seen one in while, are they gone?

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back