High Performance Lubricants Super Car "Overkill" 0W-20 VOA

A 5w30 if possible would be a home run imo.
It wouldn't have to be resource conserving either, especially with a VW502 additive package.

@High Performance Lubricants already offers excellent products.

While it's a fun scientific exercise, and God knows I'd love to see a 5W-30 without VII in it, with the only constraint being that it has to meet the Winter rating, such a product might be a bit difficult to explain and market.

When Mr. Ward brought 10W-20 for the first time to my attention my reaction was: why would I want that? It didn't take long at all for me to understand the product. However, while we get it, for the public at large it might be a little bit harder to understand because most DIYers are used to categorize lubricants in traditional product slots.

So I will say this:
It is easy for me to type away a wish list of products I'd like to see and try to guess the outcome based on my limited knowledge as a hobbyist. It costs time and money for HPL to do the R&D for these products, so I will be happy with whatever they have the time and resources to provide us with.

HPL is by far the best, bar none, lubricant manufacturer out there. I have never seen a blender take customer feedback like this and turn it into actual products so quickly.

My wish for HPL for the coming year is to grow even more and reach a wider audience because I'm convinced that there are still many out there who miss out on their excellent products.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be done but it will fall into the category of we can’t maintain everything. One of the biggest benefits of the 10w20 is the very low volatility. We won’t be able to maintain that kind of volatility in the 5w30. Looks like a project for next week.

David
What about a majority PAO, AN, and Ester and no VII w/ the VW 502 add pack in 10w30? I would buy a pail of that immediately if it were available.

Don't know of any supercar that would be prone to LSPI.
I’ll say this - if I owned a Honda 1.5T/2.0T or a Subaru FA20F(WRX/2014-2016 Forester XT) I’ll gladly go broke and use this. They’re not supercars but also either power-dense(Honda) or stressed(Subaru) applications.

I have 3 gallons of HPL 5W-30 here but itching to find something to put it in.

It can be done but it will fall into the category of we can’t maintain everything. One of the biggest benefits of the 10w20 is the very low volatility. We won’t be able to maintain that kind of volatility in the 5w30. Looks like a project for next week.

David
Someone? OVERKILL? DAVID? Please direct me on something. The HPL 0w20 OVERKILL oil that I see in this thread on page one.... Where do I find it on the internet for review ,info and purchase options? I have kind of searched around HPL and the site that it directs folks to go to for purchase of HPL products but maybe I am just missing this one. Can you guide me to the place I can see the 0w20 OVERKILL or is / was that a one time short / blend - batch?

Thanks, Sammy

Someone? OVERKILL? DAVID? Please direct me on something. The HPL 0w20 OVERKILL oil that I see in this thread on page one.... Where do I find it on the internet for review ,info and purchase options? I have kind of searched around HPL and the site that it directs folks to go to for purchase of HPL products but maybe I am just missing this one. Can you guide me to the place I can see the 0w20 OVERKILL or is / was that a one time short / blend - batch?

Thanks, Sammy

Head to Head
Redline or HPL ???
Just curious to know what’s their differences and which would perform better ?

Both oils seem to be top shelf in the top tier oil world

Head to Head
Redline or HPL ???
Just curious to know what’s their differences and which would perform better ?

Both oils seem to be top shelf in the top tier oil world
Very different formulation approaches. Redline white bottle was historically a very "old school" additive package with just higher levels of everything with the base oil blend being majority PAO, but a good sized slug of ester.

This particular HPL oil is an approved full-SAPS Euro additive package that's then "tweaked" to improve certain aspects of performance and blended into a PAO/AN/Ester base oil blend.

HPL has several different product families based on modern additive chemistry, while Redline white bottle was historically one big family all based on the same additive philosophy, though I understand they've broke it up a bit with the latest revision and modernized it.

If you compare VOA's, this is pretty easy to see.

Last edited:
Back