High Mileage oil vs combo platter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

I've been using Maxlife for 3 consecutive oil changes. I have a 96 1mzfe Camry with 224k, and it uses about 1 to 1.25qts per 5500 mile interval.

Both Valve Gasket Seals have been replaced. I have a small leak on my rear main, and a leak at the camshaft seal. Neither are going to get replaced, given the mileage and worth of the vehicle.

Thinking of going a different route, and seeing what happens. Instead of a HM oil, I am going to get my hands on some FS when it goes on sale at Menards (or perhaps QS), and supplement that with a dose of Lubro Moly Oil Saver...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Give it a try.
If this engine is using only as much oil as you state, that isn't bad at all for a 224K four cylinder.
You might try FS with no additives just to see what happens with consumption.

Why would you supplement with moly? If it has that many miles and you aren't replacing those 2 leaks, I would save your money. The engine wont be the first thing to go on the car. But congrats on the 224K!! Hopefully my car makes it that long.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Why would you supplement with moly? If it has that many miles and you aren't replacing those 2 leaks, I would save your money. The engine wont be the first thing to go on the car. But congrats on the 224K!! Hopefully my car makes it that long.

Read up. It isn't Moly, it is a seal conditioner...

It would probably work, but would also be quite a bit more expensive. And the Lubro Moly Oil Saver has to be replenished at each oil change, iiirc.

Actually, it really wouldn't. Maxlife is 17.change for 5 qts @ Walmart. FS goes on sale for 1.99 qt @ Menards.

Lubro Moly Oil Saver is 6.change.

Yeah, I'd stay with the MaxLife...5W30!
Or at W*M, QS Defy 5W30
smile.gif

I would stick with the maxlife. Keep driving it. 1.25 qts in 5500 is not bad at all. If it really starts drinking oil switch to 15w40. At 300k get rid of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back