High mileage oil burning on long trips.

Hello, just got back from a 1700 mile road trip, seems like I'm loosing some oil on my dipstick. It went from the full mark to halfway down when I checked it today after arriving last night. I'm pretty sure I'm not leaking it. I replaced my valve cover gaskets last winter. My car has 266k and this seems to be happening mostly on constant driving. Any thoughts on a proven high-mileage additive that may retard oil burning between OCI's? Thanks.

Last edited:
How much are you loosing .

With 266k on the clock , the care owes you nothing .

Has the PCV valve / system been checked / replaced ?

Yes, some cars are more prone to burn oil during hwy driving. I'd top off with some Valvoline red bottle Maxlife and maybe go up a grade. Only 4 bucks per qt. at Walmart.

High mileage oils mostly just have extra seal conditioners to try to keep seals pliable, but they don't really do anything for stuck or worn rings and if your valve stem seals are already rotting no extra additive is going to bring them back. that being said burning like half a quart at 1700mi is generally pretty normal on a car that's got over 250k on the clock.

Originally Posted by Jarpin
Hello, just got back from a 1700 mile road trip, seems like I'm loosing some oil on my dipstick. It went from the full mark to halfway down when I checked it today after arriving last night. I'm pretty sure I'm not leaking it. I replaced my valve cover gaskets last winter. My car has 266k and this seems to be happening mostly on constant driving. Any thoughts on a proven high-mileage additive that may retard oil burning between OCI's? Thanks.

It's possible (and not abnormal) to use that much oil on a road trip.

On the highway I cruise between 80 and 90 miles per hour. I'm sure my engine would use less oil if I slowed to 55-60.

My toyota manual indicates to expect oil drop during long trips; something to do with fuel dilution burning off

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Jarpin

It's possible (and not abnormal) to use that much oil on a road trip.

On the highway I cruise between 80 and 90 miles per hour. I'm sure my engine would use less oil if I slowed to 55-60.

This. Not to worry.

Kinda normal for 266K miles on the unit.

1. make sure PCV system is good.
2. I have had success with BG44K fuel system cleaner through the fuel tank. Seems to possibly de-carbon stuck rings which could be part of the cause of oil consumption.
3. Other than that. Keep it topped off. It will probably last another 100,000 miles as long as you don't run it too low on oil.

At 266k miles it is what it is. The engine is starting to wear out. Oil is cheap. Check it every 1000 miles and keep motoring along happily.

Obviously the PCV should be checked, but you did not say what engine, or what demands you put on it. Here in the mountains, I've worked with some dealers to solve oil consumption problems with certain cars & pickups. We identified that the one thing they all had in common was a regular drive, as often as 3 times a week, from 300 ft above sea level to 10,000 and down to 8500 for the night. With the more powerful engines, that could climb without going over about 2500 rpm, there was little or no oil consumption with a semi-synthetic SN. With the smaller engines that needed to climb at 3000 rpm or greater (or more slowly than the driver wanted), they could drop below the dip stick in one trip. Buy, a PAO synthetic had little or no consumption. So for about 5 years, those have been running the synthetic.

Half a quart or halfway down the stick? Some good suggestions and you could try an ester based oil to see if it is carboned rings. With that many miles I wouldn't. Just add oil as needed. and if it uses enough spread out the interval.

What is the make/model of the car? If you have a GM 3.6 this is very normal. Mine uses about a half every thousand miles on the freeway.

Last edited:
Back