High Mileage & High Zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the comments, especially wwalburn. I am basically talking about a few cars from 1966 to 1972 with stock engines. Nothing exotic so maybe the zinc levels are not that big a deal if I am driving them less than 1,000 miles a year and changing the oil once a year, every spring. I am driving them to and from shows, and on nice warm days otherwise.

Within those parameters, I believe any of today's HM oils would do great in protecting those engines. I currently use Valvoline Max-Life but Quaker State or Pennzoil HM oils are great as well! Would like to find out more about Mobil Super HM too!

I am thinking of switching to M1 10-40 HM for my GMC Canyon. It has 106000 miles and I can't stand the start up rattle. Is this the right choice?

Originally Posted By: rokwldr
I am thinking of switching to M1 10-40 HM for my GMC Canyon. It has 106000 miles and I can't stand the start up rattle. Is this the right choice?

I run Max-Life 5W-30 and a Fram Ultra on my 06 3.5L Colly. I only get start up rattle for half a second and I don't know how you can get around that..

Here is the Mobil 1 data sheet for all their oils
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

I use a 50/50 mix of 20/50 V-Twin(p1600 z1750) and 0/40 FS(p1000 z1100) in my S2000.
That works out to a very stout 10/40 with a great add package.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back