High copper normal in new 6.4 Hemi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

I'd listen to the oil analysis lab. As they say, this is a new block and things do 'wear in.'

If in 3 oil changes time, it's still this high. You have done the right thing and will be able to present evidence to Dodge with regards to a warranty claim. Just make sure you continue to use their OEM spec oil and have the work conducted in accordance with the warranty terms required in your part of the world.

Regards
JOrdan

Doesn't FCA spec 0W40 ms-12633 for that engine? If you don't want to use the special Pennzoil 0W40, I imagine any 5W40 or 0W40 with an SN rating would work fine.

Sending in an oil sample on a new engine is pretty much a waste of money.

If the copper trends downward with subsequent UOA's then you'll know it's run-in metals.

I'd listen to the oil analysis lab. As they say, this is a new block and things do 'wear in.'

If in 3 oil changes time, it's still this high. You have done the right thing and will be able to present evidence to Dodge with regards to a warranty claim. Just make sure you continue to use their OEM spec oil and have the work conducted in accordance with the warranty terms required in your part of the world.

Good advice.

Hemi's are high wear engines, especially copper, my numbers are similar. At Ram Forum you will see a blackstone lab thread that is a sticky, you can compare your wear versus the feild, and see what everyone is running. I'd say copper is a little high, but knowing the application I wouldn't be too alarmed. PUP 0w40 is worth a shot, one of the lower wear number oils out there, a real nice formula with 250+ ppm moly. The problem is finding it. I'd maybe skip a report or two, it may just make you uneasy. Then maybe after three oil changes, do a short run like 500 miles on PYB as a flush. Get a more accurate picture maybe the 5th oil change. The top 4 oils in order goes Pennzoil, m1, Amsoil, and Redline.

If they do in fact use a copper oil cooler that's your source. My 3.6L Pentastar has a copper oil cooler and the copper PPM was high as well, but slowly trended down. I'd wait until you have about 20K miles on the engine before worrying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back