HIDs installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I posted yesterday, I got the OEM projector HID headlights that came std on the 300M Special installed on my 300M. Took it out last night and was surprised to find that they were pretty much aimed correctly right out of the box. Just had to adjust the left side down a little.

As good as the std 300M halogen headlights are (and they are very good, just about the best OEM headlights I've ever seen on a domestic car), there really is no comparison with these HIDs. I've never ridden in or driven a car with HID lights before, and it's quite a first time experience. You drive with a nice, even, full blanket of pure white light on the road in front of you. No hot spots, no dark spots, just even white light.

The beam pattern on these lights (and all DOT complaint HID lamps) is just like the old Cibie Z-Beam that was introduced around 1980. It's essentially a slightly softened E-code cutoff that has the right hand flare clipped just as it begins to rise.

Here is a pic from a 300M club member who put these lights in his car that shows 'em in action. Note the very sharp cutoff:

Image005-vi.jpg

Yes,

I love them too. Projector lenses + H.I.D. are also really effective. The OEM route you have chosen is the best and most responsible route to follow.

Sounds like a really nice upgrade for your car G-Man!

Bright lights with a good pattern properly aimed make a vehicle really pleasurable to drive.

Well, I've noticed something interesting about the HIDs. In other threads I've talked about trying various protectants on the headlight lenses in order to protect them from UV degradation. I tried Mothers Back to Black and Armor All tire gel on my previous headlamps, and both worked really well, but the Armor All tire gel lasted longer as far as enduring rain and car washes. So I naturally applied some to my new HID headlights. Bad idea. Anything...and I mean anything...that changes the optical clarity of the outer lens can severely blur the sharp cutoff. And these protectants do just that.

So, I picked up some Turtle Wax "Ice" and applied that to my lenses today. This stuff is supposed to have a UV blocker in it, and it doesn't affect the cutoff at all; it's just as sharp as when there was nothing on the lenses.

you're lucky that your car has the option for projector hid's.

i've got diffused hid's on my 00' TL and they are TERRIBLE. i dunno what acura/honda was thinking. no more light than incandescent bulbs, but they are whiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back