HF/U.S. General 30” Bulk Storage Tech Cart

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I don't get the anti-China thing. Moving manufacturing offshore was and continues to be a business decision.

Theft of IP, vulnerability to supply chain interruption when there's a global situation (like the current one)...etc. China is most certainly playing to long game to usurp the US as the global superpower and folks are scrambling over each other to give it to them in the name of saving a few dollars. You want cheap labour? Use Mexico, they aren't a communist dictatorship [censored]-bent on global domination.

All true. Again, talk to the US business people who are outsourcing.
I would welcome manufacturing back to America, with a liveable wage, healthcare, etc.
Honor labor; all work is honorable in my book.

^ Bingo

When big-business moves factories overseas so the stock price goes up and executives get huge bonuses, they're celebrated as "Titan's of Industry"! And when lower/middle-class Americans buy those foreign-made products they're shamed and called the bad guy.

——

I posted this in a different Harbor Freight post.

I use my $20 Harbor Freight Chinese Torx box-end wrench set for about 15 seconds a year. The only American made alternative I could find is a $258 Snap-On set. Seriously? Sorry, not gonna happen.

$50? sure, I'll consider it.

Here we go again. A question is asked about a simple tool cart and it gets turned into a made in China tirade.

All while being posted via a device that's likely 100% made in China. My take on this is you're either all in on this or you're out.

Are you really willing to go back to a time when an American made toaster cost 1/3 of a blue collar weekly wage? Sure, you could repair it yourself or have it serviced.

Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Now I'm tirading.

I can see both sides of that but it's not going back to that. We talk about inexpensive oil filters made here all the time. The other day I need to rebuild a toilet. My lifetime brand has moved it to China. Next to it is another major brand made in USA … over a buck cheaper. Very quiet.
A few months back I got to tour a new pipe mill. Guys sat at control stations and the maintenance guys watched critical equipment on CCTV. That's automation.
There are certainly a few critical items that must come back … and some can go to our friends in Canada or Mexico.
Can't let China benefit from this.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I can see both sides of that but it's not going back to that. We talk about inexpensive oil filters made here all the time. The other day I need to rebuild a toilet. My lifetime brand has moved it to China. Next to it is another major brand made in USA … over a buck cheaper. Very quiet.
A few months back I got to tour a new pipe mill. Guys sat at control stations and the maintenance guys watched critical equipment on CCTV. That's automation.
There are certainly a few critical items that must come back … and some can go to our friends in Canada or Mexico.

thumbsup2.gif
Exactly.

Originally Posted by 4WD

For sure on that.

Maybe I take people's comments on this out of context, but I just don't see how it's practical or feasible for lots of things to be made here unless we go back to the 'stone ages'.

Maybe when things settle out to the new normal, the baseline will be reset to get more happening in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by 4WD

For sure on that.

Maybe I take people's comments on this out of context, but I just don't see how it's practical or feasible for lots of things to be made here unless we go back to the 'stone ages'.

Maybe when things settle out to the new normal, the baseline will be reset to get more happening in the US.

It is all about the profit. Period.

Back