Heresy! GC sludges!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lurking about a Passat forum in a thread discussing synthetic oil. Someone posted claiming that he a sludged car using GC! No details yet, but is this possible? I guess what I'm asking, is if you follow proper 5K OCIs, can the VW 1.8T sludge with GC?
dunno.gif

First of all, I am absolutely confident that GC does not sludge...but secondly, stop and think for a second. Think how short a time GC has been distributed AND USED by most people...we were probably the first place it became widely known and that was in 2003. If an auto afficiado (I am assuming this person is not just an average car guy since he posts on a car forum) sludged their engine in THAT SHORT a time that would be amazing and would be far more likely to be a system problem not the oil. Don't get hyped over everything you see posted on these boards...look for consistent trends...THEN you can start thinking "something may be up."
cheers.gif

quote:

more likely to be a system problem not the oil.

that's what the problem was with that guy's car.

**** I had a V6 passat that sludged up at 35k and required a cam seal, vcg and cca seal replacement due to a faulty PCV system. The vehicle had nothing but the correct M1 at 5k OCIs.

Dave

I have read other forums that call GTX 10-30 from Gemany GC, and that it is not made anymore. Well with those that mis-informed it is not worth bothering to correct them. So chances are this guy was using something else, and has other issues with the engine.

Well, the guy posted back: The car in question was a BMW 316 in Germany. 10K OCIs (manufacturer interval) and car sludged up at 36K. GC used entire time. He said that this model did tend to sludge.

So I guess the lesson is not to push the OCI especially in sludgemonsters?

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I'll only believe that guy's story if I see it for myself, pix and all. Seems like he's pulling someone's leg.

quote:

I have read other forums that call GTX 10-30 from Gemany GC, and that it is not made anymore. Well with those that mis-informed it is not worth bothering to correct them. So chances are this guy was using something else, and has other issues with the engine.

I'm not sure I buy this story either. Do you think they're all running around in Europe calling the stuff "German Castrol"? No, it was SLX. As with the counterfeit coin with the date "2000 B.C." stamped on it, the nomenclature is nonsense and points to fabrication.

That story has a funny smell to it
smile.gif

Why would you have a 316 in Germany? They don't pay new car tax like we do here in Norway do they?
Here you pay extra tax for every HP and for every kilogram. If you exceed 100 HP or 1000 kg you pay even more.
One example. My Audi S6 cost Nkr. 900,000 (USD 134,000) new in 1996. Almost Nkr 600.000 (USD 89,340) of that was tax. Can you believe that
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back