Here's the specs on the Bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV does more than set a new benchmark for affordable, long-range EV driving. It also raises the bar when it comes to driving performance.

Engineers developed the Bolt EV’s propulsion system to offer more than an estimated 200 miles (based on GM estimates) and a delightful driving experience that’s more akin to a compact sports sedan than a small utilitarian crossover.

“Being the leader in range and affordability means nothing if the car isn’t going to excite you each time you get behind the wheel,” said Josh Tavel, Chevrolet Bolt EV chief engineer. “That’s why the team was tasked with delivering a propulsion system that would also make the Bolt EV an electric vehicle that owners would love to drive.”

Single Motor Drive Unit
Like most EVs on the road, the Bolt EV’s drive system uses a single high capacity electric motor to propel the car. But it’s the smooth, powerful and quiet motor design, gear configuration and shift-by-wire system that separates it from the pack.

The engineering team designed the Bolt EV’s electric motor with an offset gear and shaft configuration tailored to meet efficiency and performance targets – most notably more than an estimated 200 miles of range. The motor is capable of producing up to 266 lb.-ft. (360 Nm) of torque and 200 hp (150 kW) of motoring power. Combined with a 7.05:1 final drive ratio, it helps propel the Bolt EV from 0-60 mph in less than seven seconds.

Power delivery is controlled by Chevrolet’s first Electronic Precision Shift system. This shift and park-by-wire system sends electronic signals to the Bolt EV’s drive unit to manage precise feel and delivery of power and torque, based on drive mode selection and accelerator inputs. A by-wire shifter requires less packaging space than a traditional mechanical shifter, resulting in more interior space and improved interior layout.

60 kWh Battery System
Having more than 1.3 billion miles of EV experience from the Chevrolet Volt helped Bolt EV battery engineers and strategic partner LG Electronics to develop an all-new cell and battery pack to offer more than an estimated 200 miles of range.

Battery system preliminary specifications include:
•60 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
•288 lithium ion cells◦Five sections
◦10 modules
◦96 cell groups – three cells per group

•960 lbs. (435 kg) total weight

“You usually have a battery cell that delivers either the desired levels of energy or power, but not traditionally both. With this cell design and chemistry we were able to deliver a battery system with 160 kilowatts of peak power and 60 kilowatts hours of energy,” said Gregory Smith, Bolt EV battery pack engineering group manager.

The battery uses active thermal conditioning, similar to the Chevrolet Volt, to keep the battery operating at its optimum temperature, which results in solid battery life performance. The Bolt EV battery will be covered by an 8-year/ 100,000 mile (whichever comes first) limited warranty.

Inside the battery pack – which spans the entire floor, from the front foot well to back of the rear seat – is a new cell design and chemistry. The nickel-rich lithium-ion chemistry provides improved thermal operating performance over other chemistries, which requires a smaller active cooling system for more efficient packaging. The chemistry allows the Bolt EV to maintain peak performance in varying climates and driver demands.

The cells are arranged in a “landscape” format and each measures in at only 3.9 ins. (100 mms) high and 13.1 ins. (338 mms) wide providing improved packaging underfloor. The lower profile cell design enabled the vehicle structure team to maximize interior space.

The battery system is mated to a standard equipment 7.2 kW onboard charger for regular overnight charging from a 240-V wall box. A typical commute of 50 miles can be recharged in less than two hours. Bolt EV also features an optional DC Fast Charging system using the industry standard SAE Combo connector. Using DC Fast Charging, the Bolt EV battery can be charged up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes. Outside temperatures may affect charging times.

Regen System Provides One-Pedal Driving
Regenerative braking has become more than just a tool to boost range, it’s also transformed into a feature that can provide an improved EV driving experience. The Bolt EV features a new regenerative braking system that has the ability to provide one pedal driving.

“Interviews with EV enthusiasts indicated their desire for one pedal driving capability on the Bolt EV. One pedal operation boosts the thrill and uniqueness of EV driving,” Tavel said.

Through a combination of increased regenerative deceleration and software controls, one pedal driving enables the vehicle to slow down and come to a complete stop without using the brake pedal in certain driving conditions.

When operating the Bolt EV in “Low” mode, or by holding the Regen on Demand paddle located on the back of the steering wheel, the driver can bring the vehicle to a complete stop under most circumstances by simply lifting their foot off the accelerator, although the system does not relieve the need to use the brake pedal altogether.

Operating the Bolt EV in “Drive” mode and not pulling the paddle while decelerating delivers a driving experience where usage of the brake pedal is required to stop.

# # #

2017 CHEVROLET BOLT EV PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

Overview

Model: Chevrolet Bolt EV
Body style / driveline: front-wheel-drive, five-passenger, five-door all-electric CUV
Construction: Steel and Aluminum
EPA vehicle class: Small Wagon (EPA does not have a cross-over category)
Key competitors: Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, Ford Focus Electric, Kia Soul EV, VW eGolf Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric
Manufacturing location: Orion Township, Mich.
Battery manufacturing location: Incheon, South Korea
Motor and drive unit manufacturing location: Incheon, South Korea

Battery System
Type: rechargeable energy storage system comprising multiple linked modules
Volume/case: 285L
Mass (lb / kg): 960 lb./435 kg
Battery chemistry: lithium-ion
Thermal system: liquid active thermal control
Cells: 288
Electric driving range: More than 200 miles (GM estimate pending final tests)
Energy: 60 kWh
Warranty: eight years / 100,000 miles

Electric Drive
Type: Single motor and gearset
Motor: permanent magnetic drive motor
Power: 200 hp/150 kW
Torque: (lb-ft / Nm): 266 lb.ft./360 Nm
Final drive ratio :)1): 7.05:1

Charging Times
120 V: Available with standard cordset
240 V: 50 miles of range in less than 2 hrs.
SAE Combo DC Fast Charge: 90 miles in 30 minutes

Performance
Top speed (mph): 91 mph / 145 kph *
0-30 mph: 2.9s (75% SoC) *
0-60 mph: Under 7 seconds

Chassis/Suspension
Front: Independent MacPherson strut-type front suspension with side load compensating and finely tuned springs, direct-acting solid stabilizer bar system and ride & handling oriented LCA bushings.
Rear: Compound crank (torsion beam) type rear suspension with the closed section V-shaped profile axle; specifically tuned coil springs, performance balanced shock absorber, angled A-bushing supporting understeer tendency on cornering maneuver and kinematically optimized torsion beam providing stable and best ride & handling performance.
Chassis control: Four-channel ABS; Traction control system; StabiliTrak; Drag control
Steering type: column-mounted electric power steering
Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.91 revolution *
Turning radius, curb-to-curb ( ft. / m): 10.8m *
Steering ratio: 16.8 :1

Brakes
Type: power four-wheel disc with ABS; electro-hydraulic; partially regenerative; dynamic rear brake proportioning
Brake rotor diameter front (mm / in): 276mm
Brake rotor diameter rear (mm / in): 264mm

Total swept area (cu cm):
Front : 1398.9
Rear : 1131.4

Wheels/Tires
Wheel size and type: 17in x 6.5J offset 44, cast aluminum
Tires: Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 all-season

Dimensions

Exterior
Wheelbase (in / mm): 102.4 / 2600
Overall length (in / mm): 164.0 / 4166
Overall width (in / mm): 69.5 / 1765(W103)
Track width front (in / mm): 1500.92 mm
Track width rear (in / mm): 1501.05 mm
Height (in / mm): 62.8 / 1594(H100)
Front overhang (in / mm): 32.9 / 836
Rear overhang (in / mm): 28.7 / 730

Interior
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 3
Headroom (in. / mm):
39.7 / 1009 1st row
37.9 / 962 2nd row
Shoulder room (in / mm):
54.6 / 1387 1st row
52.8 / 1340 2nd row
Hip room (in / mm):
51.6 / 1310 1st row
50.8 / 290 2nd row
Legroom (in / mm):
41.6 / 1056 1st row
36.5 / 927 2nd row
Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 16.9 cu-ft / 478 L
(V10, Wagon CVI – Max behind rear seat)
Passenger volume (cu ft / L):
PV1 52.2 cu-ft / 1478 L 1st row
PV2 42.2 cu-ft / 1195 L 2nd row

Capacities
Curb weight (lb / kg); 3580 lb / 1625kg based on target (w/o 2 passengers)

Heating & cooling (qt / L):
Heating loop 1.8L
Battery pack cooling (qt / L): 6.9L (RESS cooling loop total coolant volume)
Power electronics cooling (qt / L): 3.9L (PE & DU cooling loop total coolant volume)

Drive unit fluid (qt / L): 2.9L

Note: Information shown is current at time of publication.

I like the one-pedal concept. I could grow to like that. I have long loved driving manual transmissions, but hey, if there's no transmission, I won't miss it.

200 mile range, that covers my needs.

Battery pack needs cooling? I wonder... if I drive spiritedly in winter, would that lower battery load, if they direct the battery heat into the cabin? I only say that half-joking.

I like how the charging time for 120Vac is "available" but not specified.

Chevy's page: http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Two things I noted:

Says "under $30k" but that is after taking into account the $7,500 tax credit. I wonder if that credit can be spread over multiple years? I suppose if you aren't paying more than $7,500 per year in federal taxes then you ought not be shopping a $30+k car anyhow.

There's a spot where you can enter starting and stopping locations for "proving" it has enough range. I entered in Concord and Manchester for fun, and it says I can make 5 round trips with 21miles remaining. I wonder if they are looking at zip codes to see who might be shopping this car?

My hydrostat tractor is basically a one pedal drive as the rpms stay the same and you are just adjusting the "gear ratio" with your foot and I don't think I've used the brakes to slow the tractor down yet. Its not a bad way to drive I guess, as long as your have a simple cruise control. Holding your foot exactly in one place for very long is a bit annoying.

It is, but I've done it for hours on end, so I'm used to it.

At least it's a mode that can be turned on or off.

Originally Posted By: supton
Chevy's page: http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Two things I noted:

Says "under $30k" but that is after taking into account the $7,500 tax credit. I wonder if that credit can be spread over multiple years? I suppose if you aren't paying more than $7,500 per year in federal taxes then you ought not be shopping a $30+k car anyhow.

$30,000 is not for every buyer, only the ones with Federal tax liability at or above $7500 will be able to get full Federal tax credit for buying an EV.

No, Federal tax credit is for only the year you buy an EV. It can't be spread over multiple years.

In the end, only the richer can get full Federal tax credit for buying an EV, be it the Bolt or Tesla Model S or X, the middle class and the lower class get partial credit or none.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
It is, but I've done it for hours on end, so I'm used to it.

At least it's a mode that can be turned on or off.

True one pedal driving is getting a full ABS stop the instant your foot slips off... That's what a hydrostatic transmission drives like, so slowing down smoothly at full speed with a loaded wagon in tow requires a bit of practice.

$1.80 a gallon gas = Do Not Want. Maybe at $6 a gallon it would make sense.

I just bought a golf sportwagon, cost under 21k total. This car will cost a fortune. You have to pay the 37,500 plus tax plus registration and then do your taxes and get that 7500 back. I figure its at least a $33k car in most states.

That is about $12k i can spend on gasoline, and given my current average of at least 30 mpg, i could drive for roughly 200,000 miles in my golf before reaching the cost of a Bolt. The bolt will still need 2-3 cents a mile for electricity for most users. My Golf is 5-6 cents a mile for gas. Looking at it with the cost of power in place i would have to drive over 400,000 miles before the bolt actually saved me money. There is no way the batteries would last that long, and likely neither would the golf.

All this extra up front expense for a smaller vehicle with less performance and usability.

I imagine insurance for a Bolt will be very expensive considering any serious collision could compromise the battery pack or maybe even catch fire. They wont end up getting repaired or sold as rebuildable salvaged cars as often. Plus the sky high MSRP must surely play into the insurance cost as well.

Electrics are just for people who are really enthusiastic about the zero emissions / not using gasoline thing. Ignore the large load of toxic batteries that makes it possible.

All economics aside, i give Chevy props for developing the technology, as someday we will really need it.

Sounds like Nissan is happy with the Bolt:
http://wardsauto.com/industry/nissan-we-...883e22e3854a61b

Quote:
“We will have offerings that will be comparable and at one point exceed the competitors again,” Michael Bunce, Nissan North America’s newly installed product planning chief, tells WardsAuto here during an interview at the 2016 North American International Auto Show.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I just bought a golf sportwagon, cost under 21k total. This car will cost a fortune. You have to pay the 37,500 plus tax plus registration and then do your taxes and get that 7500 back. I figure its at least a $33k car in most states.

All economics aside, i give Chevy props for developing the technology, as someday we will really need it.

To get $7500 Federal tax incentive the tax filler must have at least $7500 tax liability. For lower income earners they may not get the full $7500 benefit.

Chevy/GM didn't develop any new technology with the Bolt, the importance/major parts are developed and engineered by LG Chemical. GM executive said that "Without LG Chemical they couldn't make the Bolt".

Chevy Bolt may be in production a year ahead of Tesla Model 3.

This car is coming into the market when gas prices are historically low. $1.65 a gallon. GM does it again. anyone buying electric cars?

That's a car that would meet most of my needs. It would certainly handle my commute with no issue. Even with gas at its current lows, the Bolt would still be a savings on the transportation bill. And when gas goes back up again, it's saving even more.

This car will be great for folks in areas like coastal California and the Megalopolis where BEV's get HOV lane access and other benefits.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
This car is coming into the market when gas prices are historically low. $1.65 a gallon. GM does it again. anyone buying electric cars?

How it is possible or practical to plan a significant vehicle development to magically suit the current price of oil?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Motor: permanent magnetic drive motor

That's interesting, a relatively-expensive motor but likely the most efficient choice.

I wonder if they have used a reversible heat pump for the HVAC?

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

How it is possible or practical to plan a significant vehicle development to magically suit the current price of oil?

Agreed. And if GM had released it when oil was $150/barrel, folks would be complaining that they were cashing in on the suddenly efficiency-conscious. Some folks just plain hate GM no matter what.

it's a bit late to start developping a fuel efficient car when the oil prices rise. Or to look into buying one aswell. if they did wait, it would be halve baked concept and fail terribly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back