Here's Something You Really Need

Stumbled across this beauty on the Internet. It is an oil funnel that attaches directly to the oil fill port in place of the cap. It seals so the oil doesn't get on the engine. After it's on, you have both hands free to add oil to the engine. It comes in several versions, depending on the vehicle. I bought the one that fits VW/Audi/Toyota. They have other funnels that fit GM; Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep; Toyota, Lexus, Scion; Subaru; Honda, Accura; BMW; Ford.

https://www.motivxtools.com/collections/oil-funnels or https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...8a68-9062-4ad4-b4b7-d24b1bd2234b&ref_=ast_bln

View attachment 67708

I find a 2L soda bottle with the bottom cut out fits my vehicles well.

I've been using the same diet Mt Dew bottle for about 13 years now. I just throw it away if I move and get a new one at the next location.

Cost is almost free.
I wish that worked for me - I could have saved about $25! My Honda has an angled fill port tucked behind the radiator...in my case the specialty funnels are worth the cost, especially when using both hands to pour from a 5qt jug (I have the OEM Tools version but the MotivX is similar).

I bought one for the wife's Camry when we still had it, it did not fit even remotely close. I was able to still halfway use it though. It's an interesting idea.

wish that worked for me - I could have saved about $25! My Honda has an angled fill port tucked behind the radiator.
Yeah, had to do a little creative cutting on my 2 liter bottle funnel in order for it to miss some kind of sensor in the way on my 2014 E350 V6 engine, but it worked out just fine.

I've been lucky. 32 Years driving and never have NOT changed my own oil on any vehicle I've owned. So far haven't had a fill hole that required anything more than my many year old funnel for a few dollars.

Those are very handy. We have them at work for Subaru and the lube techs that work on everything have them for GM and Subaru. I recommended to their manager one for Toyota and he is like nah it’s really a waste of money. They always pour too fast and it comes out around the bottom of the funnel. Not saying I don’t sometimes but it sucks having to stop what I am doing and go spray brake cleaner on their spills.

I've been lucky. 32 Years driving and never have NOT changed my own oil on any vehicle I've owned. So far haven't had a fill hole that required anything more than my many year old funnel for a few dollars.
I just read a thread over at the Garage Journal Forum where a guy was complaining his new Toyota oil fill hole has a baffle that prevents insertion of regular funnels, necessitating one of these designs. Sigh.

I wonder what the baffle purpose is? Maybe idiot proof someone sticking there finger into the valve train?

Last edited:
I bought one of those to fit my 2018 Toyota Camry. It works like a charm, and doesn't leak or spill a single drop. I couldn't get ANY funnel to stay put, because the camshaft sits right at the top of the valve cover. And it's a royal PITA to hold a funnel with one hand, while you're trying to pour oil out of a heavy 5 quart jug with the other. Not to mention you're bent over while you're trying to do it. Guaranteed backache requiring Tylenol and Ben-Gay afterward.

Back