Here is why I wouldn't buy a new "budget" bike.

Wondering if it's around salt air, because that will corrode parts that just plain rain and moisture won't. I wouldn't say a Kawasaki Z900 is a cheaply built "budget bike", regardless of who said or claimed it. But yeah, since not all the fasteners and metal pieces show signs of corrosion, then some parts may not be as corrosion proof as others. Could be they "cheapened" some materials and/or processes in the corrosion proofing department, and if there are enough complaints than maybe they will step up their game and address such issues.

I think that’s exactly the issue. Looks like some bits and fasteners were simply the cheapest bid and poorly coated/treated.
Also, this is the “basic” z900 not the retro styled one, so the quality of components may very well be different. But it still shouldn’t be as cheaply built as it is.
At $10k, I would say it is on the budget side. The H2 starts at $18.5k. This isn’t the good old days when $10k bought you a super sport 600 bike.

Did you notice that the 600 super sport is gone?

The H2 starts at $18.5k.
If you know of someplace selling new H2's for $18.5 fill me in, they really start at $30.5k and bare bones ZX10r's start at $17.2k.
My Kawasaki's are holding up quite well. This is my 2001 ZRX that I bought new and still own with just around 52,000 miles currently.
256387_4128331763277_1980529560_o (1).jpg

My 78 KZ650sr my mom purchased new in 1978 and sitting around 17,000 miles currently.
DSC00008_edited (1).jpg

those new z900's have the clutch pull of a kx 80, super easy clutch pull
They sure do. I have had a bunch of new bikes since the early 70’s and the Z900RS is one of my favorites. I had a 2006 ZX10, and while it was faster, it sucked for rider comfort, fuel economy, and the transmission was the worst of any bike I have ever owned. I had a 2016 Harley Wide Glide before this RS, and it was a good bike, but had one issue Harley should have fixed long ago. That was the front motor mount that was crap before 1000 miles. At least you can get a good aftermarket one to replace it with. One of the other ones that I liked was a 2007 KTM exc 450. It was a competition enduro bike that was/is street legal. The only complaint I had with it was the gearing that it came with which was easily fixed with a sprocket change. 6th gear was lugging at anything below 65 mph in stock form. I don’t have a clue as to what they were thinking, but it had the best transmission of any that I ever owned. Another one that I really liked at the time was a RD350B. A ‘75 model twin cylinder 2 stroke street bike that Yamaha made. It had a 6 speed transmission, and at the time would hurt a LOT of the bigger bikes feelings in a quarter mile. Compared to what is out there today, it’s nothing special, but in it’s day it would put the hurt in most bikes twice it’s size. 750 four Honda riders got their butts handed to them more than once in a quarter.

They sure do. I have had a bunch of new bikes since the early 70’s and the Z900RS is one of my favorites. I had a 2006 ZX10, and while it was faster, it sucked for rider comfort, fuel economy, and the transmission was the worst of any bike I have ever owned. I had a 2016 Harley Wide Glide before this RS, and it was a good bike, but had one issue Harley should have fixed long ago. That was the front motor mount that was crap before 1000 miles. At least you can get a good aftermarket one to replace it with. One of the other ones that I liked was a 2007 KTM exc 450. It was a competition enduro bike that was/is street legal. The only complaint I had with it was the gearing that it came with which was easily fixed with a sprocket change. 6th gear was lugging at anything below 65 mph in stock form. I don’t have a clue as to what they were thinking, but it had the best transmission of any that I ever owned. Another one that I really liked at the time was a RD350B. A ‘75 model twin cylinder 2 stroke street bike that Yamaha made. It had a 6 speed transmission, and at the time would hurt a LOT of the bigger bikes feelings in a quarter mile. Compared to what is out there today, it’s nothing special, but in it’s day it would put the hurt in most bikes twice it’s size. 750 four Honda riders got their butts handed to them more than once in a quarter.
Yeah the riding comfort of some bikes leave alot to be desired. I have a Honda VFR, and its more cramped than Id like, or the worst I can take , but paid for. At one time Id considered an RR sport bike, glad I never threw money that way. My favorite bike, is a modified KTM 500 plated dirt bike .

I test road an R1 one time, and just didnt do anything for me, that quelched the RR thought.

But that z900 would definitely be a higher consideration, like foxracing posted above. (the Retro Bike) look. What they produce now, doesnt catch my eye. Back in 2018/19, the z900rs cafe, fuel injected with super nice clutch caught the eye.

Last edited:
I think that’s exactly the issue. Looks like some bits and fasteners were simply the cheapest bid and poorly coated/treated.
Also, this is the “basic” z900 not the retro styled one, so the quality of components may very well be different. But it still shouldn’t be as cheaply built as it is.
At $10k, I would say it is on the budget side. The H2 starts at $18.5k. This isn’t the good old days when $10k bought you a super sport 600 bike.

Did you notice that the 600 super sport is gone?
$10,700 otd bought me a Hayabusa back in the day lol. Times have most definitely changed 😨

My brand new 75 Kawi 900 Z1 was just over $1,900 OTD! A friend bought a new 76 Honda 750 F and came looking for me! He found me…and I proceeded to embarrass him! :cool:

My brand new 75 Kawi 900 Z1 was just over $1,900 OTD! A friend bought a new 76 Honda 750 F and came looking for me! He found me…and I proceeded to embarrass him! :cool:
Where in the heck did you find a still new Z-1B, or do you mean you bought one in '75? Especially at that price. I won't tell you what I saw one of those sell for in a bike auction, I'll just say you got the deal of the century! Your short story reminds me of a duel I had with a guy back in the day. I had a '70 Mach III Kawasaki 500 with expansion chambers I thought was pretty bad *** and I ran up against a guy with a CB750....what I didn't know was his bike wasn't stock...long story short, he beat me. Not long after that, same summer, I bought a '73 Z-1...only mod was a 4 into 1 pipe ans rejetted carbs...anyway, I looked him up, I knew where to find him, and this time I beat him bad...that Z-1 was the king back in the mid to late 70s...

I’ve seen bikes in this kind of state mostly owner neglect and environmental than anything else. Very common in the UK. I have a few clients there who ride and their bikes all have some rust/corrosion. Think riding it in salt and parking the bike outside over winter near the coast will do it. Brake fittings always seem prone to a little surface rust even in the desert.

Last edited:
Where in the heck did you find a still new Z-1B, or do you mean you bought one in '75? Especially at that price. I won't tell you what I saw one of those sell for in a bike auction, I'll just say you got the deal of the century! Your short story reminds me of a duel I had with a guy back in the day. I had a '70 Mach III Kawasaki 500 with expansion chambers I thought was pretty bad *** and I ran up against a guy with a CB750....what I didn't know was his bike wasn't stock...long story short, he beat me. Not long after that, same summer, I bought a '73 Z-1...only mod was a 4 into 1 pipe ans rejetted carbs...anyway, I looked him up, I knew where to find him, and this time I beat him bad...that Z-1 was the king back in the mid to late 70s...
I started my motorcycling career riding those bikes.. and even though I've owned much faster bikes since then, those were still the best times I ever had on a bike 👍😉

Thread title and original post is pure clickbait.

Went went on a group ride last month, one guy had a 3 year old Z900rs. Looked like new. Already had serious miles on it.

Nothing "budget" about a z900. Maybe if you're one of those insulting types that rides a certain overpriced Euro brand.

Back