Helping my parents get a Tesla

I see what you're getting at with the charge level and the hill. I would still recommend getting it to 100% once a week. It's the only way to properly set the BMS. I know it won't regen at 100% but if they're using one pedal driving it will still apply the brakes to feel like regen. Even setting it to 90% charge would allow the regen to work downhill, but I don't know if the tradeoff is worth not calibrating the BMS. This must be a hell of a hill if this is a concern.

The idea would be to set it to 100% at least once a week.

220v? 10 hours sounds about right. We’re only using 120v.

That's about 1.8 kW although some circuits are 110V and it will provide less power. The Mobile Connector says it's OK for 100-240V although the connector type should cap the current. But isn't it painfully slow? It might be OK to keep the battery at a certain level for longer term storage, like going on vacation for a month.

With the 14-50 plug and 240V that should be 12 kW.

That's about 1.8 kW although some circuits are 110V and it will provide less power. The Mobile Connector says it's OK for 100-240V although the connector type should cap the current. But isn't it painfully slow? It might be OK to keep the battery at a certain level for longer term storage, like going on vacation for a month.

At 120V it’s usually equivalent for 4 mph for us. The car on average only gets 500 miles a month so 2 overnight charges is plenty per week to maintain it and hit 100% once a week.

I believe Tesla recommends just leaving it plugged in. That would apply to short duration and long term storage. It does use a bit of power just sitting - which could be a problem for long term storage. If you completely drain the battery getting function back will be a big performance.

Do they drive around in their own neighbourhood or just head down the hill? It would be good to know what % regeneration they get going down the hill.

(Apparent) problem statement:
  • Battery should be charged to 100% once a week
  • Parents go down a long hill leaving their home which will generate some battery charge
  • One pedal driving doesn't function well at 100% charge - unless you set it up so it uses the brakes in lieu of regeneration - which would be hard on the brakes on the long run down the hill.

I believe Tesla recommends just leaving it plugged in. That would apply to short duration and long term storage. It does use a bit of power just sitting - which could be a problem for long term storage. If you completely drain the battery getting function back will be a big performance.

Do they drive around in their own neighbourhood or just head down the hill? It would be good to know what % regeneration they get going down the hill.

(Apparent) problem statement:
  • Battery should be charged to 100% once a week
  • Parents go down a long hill leaving their home which will generate some battery charge
  • One pedal driving doesn't function well at 100% charge - unless you set it up so it uses the brakes in lieu of regeneration - which would be hard on the brakes on the long run down the hill.

I drove it once downhill and I saw it go maybe 1% or a bit over. But the granularity is an issue. Most likely they're going to be heading up their inclined driveway and then head downhill.

There are alternate directions they can go, although there's not much in the neighborhood other than other homes. Maybe if they took my kid to the park, or I could figure out that. But I'm thinking to 100% once a week won't be that big a problem. For them, they'd rather have something they could set and forget.

I just bought my first battery lawnmower. The thing sucks in the heat. About to take it back for a gas powered one…still not convinced battery is the way to go.

I just bought my first battery lawnmower. The thing sucks in the heat. About to take it back for a gas powered one…still not convinced battery is the way to go.

That may not be the same as an EV that would have active heating and cooling of the battery to deal with ambient temperatures.

But in my parents' case, they live in a temperate climate where it's rarely going to be near freezing or terribly hot. And the battery management system has fans and heaters to deal with extreme temperatures.

240v circuit and mobile adapter should be 7.7kw.

240v*32a = 7680kw

It’s been an adventure. My mom saw a blemish in the paint and my dad asked me to come with him for the appointment. They say it will be covered under warranty, but they’re not sure if it’s just a paint blob that can be sanded down and polished or something stuck under the paint and they’ll need a body shop to repaint.

But in the meantime he got a Model S loaner. Not new (got over 70K miles) but they said everything is covered - Supercharging, mileage, and even tolls. I did take photos of all the big scrapes and dents but was told they really don’t care. It’s a different experience with the console rather than just the center screen. And it was filthy. The trunk even had dog hair all over. They want to take the family on a road day trip with the free charging. I suspect the car might have been previously sold and for whatever reason came back to Tesla (trade in?) where they’re using it as a loaner.

It’s been an adventure. My mom saw a blemish in the paint and my dad asked me to come with him for the appointment. They say it will be covered under warranty, but they’re not sure if it’s just a paint blob that can be sanded down and polished or something stuck under the paint and they’ll need a body shop to repaint.
I'd be very hesitant to let them mess with it.

That may not be the same as an EV that would have active heating and cooling of the battery to deal with ambient temperatures.

But in my parents' case, they live in a temperate climate where it's rarely going to be near freezing or terribly hot. And the battery management system has fans and heaters to deal with extreme temperatures.

Yeah not at all like a lawn mower

Some of these cooling systems are pretty impressive - most have active cooling using the heat pump to chill the coolant vs just ambient like an normal ice, a few old school rides like the leaf are still air cooled I think - so much closer to a mower.

Doesn't mean batteries always replace ice , but they can for a 4 door car or a small SUV in almost all these now.

Towing kills them so any towing of anything real is basically out - for now.

So my dad was too scared to drive the Model S P100D loaner, and in any case I used it to drive us back to my parents home and then we actually took it out since I don't have to work this week. I mean - they just needed someone to provide a driver license, and they were fine with me. Later my dad was OK with me taking it home since he didn't particularly want to drive it. However, his impression of it was that it was "heavy" just from sitting in the front seat.

It was a very different experience with the instrument display and more traditional controls for steering wheel position, mirrors, etc. I also tried putting it in Ludicrous mode, although I was scared off with Ludicrous+. It actually behaved quite well in Ludicrous mode, but I did try a few jackrabbit spurts to see what it could do, but up to about the speed limit.

And we saw how they fixed my parents' Model 3. Looks like someone just took some sandpaper and ground down the splotch of paint. Didn't look particularly good - and frankly worse that with the bumps. It looked rough and not even like it was polished out, plus some of the paint was ground down to the metal. My mom wouldn't have any of it and insisted that they fix it for a new car and they were referred to a nearby body shop that they'd pay for. But that's going to take some time to get an appointment and might take a few days. Not sure, but I'd think they might also have another loaner if it's going to be a few days, but they'll have to see.

Highly recommend Brook’s Motor Cars for body repairs on Tesla. They’re better than any of the other Tesla approved options. Brooks Oakland does the best work.

There a shop in Campbell that does great work, "The Great Auto Paint". Alex does all the exotics in town; his prices are more than fair and his work is exceptional.

And we saw how they fixed my parents' Model 3. Looks like someone just took some sandpaper and ground down the splotch of paint. Didn't look particularly good - and frankly worse that with the bumps. It looked rough and not even like it was polished out, plus some of the paint was ground down to the metal.

Down to the metal??? For crying out loud, what kind of person would do that? Good thing your mom stood up to them.

Down to the metal??? For crying out loud, what kind of person would do that? Good thing your mom stood up to them.

She wanted to come because she’s the one who noticed the paint blemish. I was thinking it was something that would be forgotten within six months because of all the dents and scrapes, but the Tesla advisor at delivery said we should make an appointment and it would be taken care of under warranty.

Still not sure what it was, but I suspect they were some foreign objects that got stuck during the factory painting. During the “repair” they didn’t even buff it out or use any touch up paint. And my mom wanted it to look like it was new, so they’re going to pay that body shop to repaint the entire quarter panel. I think they get a special rate.

So my dad was too scared to drive the Model S P100D loaner, and in any case I used it to drive us back to my parents home and then we actually took it out since I don't have to work this week. I mean - they just needed someone to provide a driver license, and they were fine with me. Later my dad was OK with me taking it home since he didn't particularly want to drive it. However, his impression of it was that it was "heavy" just from sitting in the front seat.

It was a very different experience with the instrument display and more traditional controls for steering wheel position, mirrors, etc. I also tried putting it in Ludicrous mode, although I was scared off with Ludicrous+. It actually behaved quite well in Ludicrous mode, but I did try a few jackrabbit spurts to see what it could do, but up to about the speed limit.

And we saw how they fixed my parents' Model 3. Looks like someone just took some sandpaper and ground down the splotch of paint. Didn't look particularly good - and frankly worse that with the bumps. It looked rough and not even like it was polished out, plus some of the paint was ground down to the metal. My mom wouldn't have any of it and insisted that they fix it for a new car and they were referred to a nearby body shop that they'd pay for. But that's going to take some time to get an appointment and might take a few days. Not sure, but I'd think they might also have another loaner if it's going to be a few days, but they'll have to see.
Please tell me you put your foot down in that thing. The acceleration is just ridiculous. I kind of miss the old letter and number naming structure with Tesla. Sure it's boring, but it tells you exactly what it is. P-performance, 100kW battery, and D for dual motor. Keeps me from having to look up the specs.

Please tell me you put your foot down in that thing. The acceleration is just ridiculous. I kind of miss the old letter and number naming structure with Tesla. Sure it's boring, but it tells you exactly what it is. P-performance, 100kW battery, and D for dual motor. Keeps me from having to look up the specs.

Not really. Most of time my parents were in the car and they won't stand for anything like that. But I did try and see what kind of acceration it had to 35 MPH and it was almost instant. But also really controllable and well behaved. The loaner was also speed limited to 85 MPH. It was nice have a key fob, but also a little bit scary in case I lost it or the battery died (I'm thinking there's got to be a warning).

Can't complain for a loaner. At least it's not something with the name of a car dealer.

Back