Help with GM/AC Delco Power Steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get some power steering fluid for my '08 Silverado and these part numbers are driving me crazy. Here is what I've found and I'm hoping somebody can confirm the most up-to-date part number I need.

89021185 -> New # is 19329450 (16 oz)

12345867 -> new # is 19329448 (1 qt)

There is also supposed to be a Cold-Weather fluid as well and I have that part number as 12345866 (16 oz).

Are those part numbers correct, specifically the Cold Weather fluid? Is there a quart part number for the cold weather fluid?

Edit - I think I found the cold weather fluid. 12345867 (quart) and 12345866 (16 oz). Did they do away with the cold-weather fluid?

Last edited:
GM dealer here told me they use Dex VI for cold weather fluid. Very common to blow power steering hoses here in winter because the fluid is frozen.

Can the PS system take ATF as well? If so, I'd just run DexVI as mentioned above regardless of temperature.

FYI, my older GM truck can take both.. I'm just running PSF since that's what I had the most of at the time. (The whole system was drained and refilled because the steering gear was removed.) In the perfect world, one fluid for both the transmission and PS system is awesome.

I'm not sure if the system can run Dex VI or not. The manual says Power Steering fluid.

I'm in Tennessee so we don't anywhere near as cold as people up north so the chance of the PS fluid freezing here is slim. It does get in the teens but I would assume the PS fluid is good down to that temp.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
GM dealer here told me they use Dex VI for cold weather fluid. Very common to blow power steering hoses here in winter because the fluid is frozen.

OT, but Nissan/Infiniti actually call for Dex VI as one PS option, with it being the preferred fluid for Canada. Dex is actually on the fill cap.

I am currently running Amsoil multivehicle ATF in my 2006 Trailblazer PS system since 2012. Runs great, much better than the factory fill when cold starting. In a month or 2 I will be doing another drain/fill on the system and putting in Amsoil LV ATF to see how the lower viscosity fluid works.

I used Amsoil because a brother gave me a pile of it years ago for my transmission fluid exchange and PS systems. I got a bit left over still and it needs to get used up.

Good stuff, I use their PS fluid in every GM, yes it does make a difference, smooth and quiet.
Not a huge fan of Amsoil engine oils (plenty of good competition) but their trans, diff and steering fluids are my favorite.
I use Redline fuel additive and air compressor oils, also great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back