Help! Strange Home Internet Setup. LONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with a possible new setup for my home network. I am currently using a WISP (great tech, terrible company) for my home. The primary use for my home network is for console gaming (PS4).

My current setup includes an Ubiquiti NanobridgeM 5G25 on a 25ft. pole, beaming 5 miles to an old converted TV tower. That goes to a POE box which is hardwired to my Netgear WNDR3400v3 router. That is then hardwired to my PS4, and wireless to all other devices.

My current provider charges $50/mo for 2Mbps up and down
crazy2.gif
. Has NO data cap. I am 'set' for 3.2Mbps up/down. After over a year I've seen it all. I experience (MANY test methods):
Best / Average / Worst
Latency - 42 / 90 / 1,000+ ms
Download - 3.9 / 2.5 / 0.3 Mbps
Upload - 4.1 / 1.8 / 0.1 Mbps
When the network is performing well, I actually run flawlessly at these speeds. When it's not (>50% of the time), I get very frequent latency variation, latency spikes, and excessive packet loss (>70% in/out). When things get bad, it becomes totally unusable, and it's time to read a newspaper. Problems are typically experienced between 8pm-12am (oversubscribed), but sometimes do happen at random. They claim "foliage interference" and are paywalling me for a fix they won't guarantee (as in they aren't sure if that will fix it, but WON'T do anything without $$$). After 15 months of battle, I'm done.

I've NEVER had another option for a 'no data cap' provider. Only previous option was a 10GB absolute cap hotspot, which would not work for my data needs and was expensive. That just changed. I am strongly considering switching my phones over to T-Mobile (great in my area from past personal experience, please leave carrier bias out) and taking advantage of their new ONE+ program. It allows truly unlimited tethering/hotspot capability via 4GLTE (although after 26GB, it may slow, but is not 'guaranteed to throttle'). Either way, it is acceptable.

So my questions are:

1. If I have two confirmed T-Mobile LTE towers exactly 1 mile away (each) from my location (supposedly 2100MHz), what ping/latency should I expect from T-Mobile's LTE? (
2. What DL/UL speeds should I expect from T-Mobile's LTE? (>2Mbps on both and I'm happy, >4Mbps I'm ecstatic)

3. I understand I can tether 3 ways: via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and hardwired. I also understand the 'speed' increases accordingly (wired=fastest). Is there any way to hardwire my phone (ZTE Maven, but considering upgrading) to my router, essentially making a classic router setup? So far my only lead is a micro USB to Ethernet adapter, but not sure if that will work. Do I need a different phone? Router? Adapter? Hotspot device? I'm getting lost in a hurry. I understand I will be problem-free via Wi-Fi, but I want to be 100% certain I am not slowing the connection with a poor (Wi-Fi) setup. I want the LTE network to be the 'weakest link'.

Sorry for the novel, but I know when it comes to tech, more info is better. Massive thanks in advance!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Edit: Forgot to mention I do NOT own a desktop/laptop, although I have access to my sister's...

Last edited:
Try a static connection on ps4 where you manually enter all yor addresses and IP,etc and see if that dont help.I set my ps4 that way and have 60 down and 5-10up on ps4 test.

I admit to being a tech noob. I know I provided a lot of info, but it was a learn-as-you-go experience. I have no idea how to set up or what a static connection is. But I learn quickly. Explain? (Googling in the meantime...)

After using Google, my question is:

What would using a static IP accomplish in my case? What is the benefit? To my understanding, I'm not having any 'prioritization' issues currently (and that is the primary purpose of static, right?). My current problem is the ISP, not my home network. Or will this help with the NEW setup? Sorry, just confused. Thanks!

If you put your cell phone a few feet from your PS4 your wifi latency will be nothing compared to the phone latency, which sounds like it will be better than your current setup.

And T-mobile has more money to invest in the future than the other hick setup. They want to bleed you dry because they know they're past their peak, and people will be cutting their "cord".

Originally Posted By: tony1679
After using Google, my question is:

What would using a static IP accomplish in my case? What is the benefit?

Nothing. You don't have a configuration issue.

Hey Tony, sorry to hear you haven't resolved the issues with your WISP since your last thread.

You should certainly have sub 150ms (and probably under 100ms) latency using TMobile 4G. The bandwdith will probably blow your WISP out of the water, too. That will depend on your particular area. >2mbps would be the absolute minimum if it is indeed 4G.

Go into a TMobile Store and see if they can give you a device to demo. If not, see if they have a 30 day trial period, or whatever. Give it a try and if it's not satisfactory, cancel the account.

If you're just using your PS4, I'd just set the phone up as a mobile hostpot. It will work just fine, and is much easier than trying to figure out a way to hardwire it.

Last edited:
I can't believe you remembered that thread.
thumbsup2.gif
. Nope. No resolution. They 100% don't care. I am ignored now.

They don't offer a demo of any kind, I tried. But no contract, no deposits, and no new equipment means I have nothing to lose except 1 month of service. When the math is complete, it nets to totally surrounding the square was 'excellent' coverage. I expect no troubles, but don't know exactly what to expect as far as actual bandwidth.

I know I can EASILY tether my PS4 via a wired connection (Micro USB to Ethernet adapter). I will most likely do that. But those drain my phone's battery. I'm just looking for a way to simultaneously charge it as well. I may be forced into a hotspot device, but it seems most are just 4G instead of 4GLTE (and that's a total deal-breaker). Or I may accept the wireless tether, pending performance. Gaming aside, I keep seeing evidence of how wireless tethering can lower bandwidth for HD video as well. That's my #2 use. I just don't want to add a single drop of fuel to the latency fire...

Unless you have interference on wifi such as from neighbors it is going to be almost as fast as wired. A strong wifi link adds about 2 ms to ping times.

If you want to wired tether, get a router with a USB host port and compatible firmware. This will charge the phone from the router's power supply as well as make a data connection that can serve multiple wired or wireless users. There are a few routers that are set up to do this out of the box with the factory firmware such as those by Cradlepoint, but any router that will run OpenWrt will also work with some setup.

4G means LTE. There are different revisions of LTE though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
I respectfully disagree. Check for yourself. When you are on your carrier's LTE network (AT&T here), it should show a "4GLTE" or "LTE" icon on your phone. But make a phone call. (Note: this doesn't count VoLTE, I'm referring to slightly older phones) Unless something has changed in the last ~year since I used to do (limited) QA on LTE tower antenna installs, when you make a call your icon WILL change from "LTE" to "4G". It's NOT the same. Speed test both modes if you don't believe me. This may be incorrect on the latest phones (i6+/S6+) though... And if I'm wrong, feel free to rub it in
smile.gif

I appreciate the rest of your input though. I guess USB host port is the term that was eluding me. Thanks. And I've heard of Cradlepoint before, I'll definitely look into that. Thank you.

4G is a standard but was expanded to include first generation Mobile WiMAX, LTE and other enhanced 3G technologies which were often branded as "4G" despite not being fully compliant with the definition. I had Android and Blackberry phones that would show 3G, 4G and LTE on the display. The 4G was just enhanced HSPA+ branded as 4G by the carrier, which was permitted (but controversial) at the time since the 4G standard had not been entirely ratified.

Current 4G technology includes evolutions of both Mobile WiMAX and LTE, depending on the carrier.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
I respectfully disagree. Check for yourself. When you are on your carrier's LTE network (AT&T here), it should show a "4GLTE" or "LTE" icon on your phone. But make a phone call. (Note: this doesn't count VoLTE, I'm referring to slightly older phones) Unless something has changed in the last ~year since I used to do (limited) QA on LTE tower antenna installs, when you make a call your icon WILL change from "LTE" to "4G". It's NOT the same. Speed test both modes if you don't believe me. This may be incorrect on the latest phones (i6+/S6+) though... And if I'm wrong, feel free to rub it in
smile.gif

I appreciate the rest of your input though. I guess USB host port is the term that was eluding me. Thanks. And I've heard of Cradlepoint before, I'll definitely look into that. Thank you.

My iPhone 6S always drops down to 3G when I make a phone call. This has been the case with all of my Rogers phones. It then jumps back to LTE when you are done. When I am roaming on the US AT&T network, i experience the same behaviour.

You are right that T-Mobile and AT&T are (or were) advertising a lot of HSPA+ stuff as "4G". So if you're looking at low end or older models, they may not necessarily be LTE.

Last edited:
I think the common accepted terms are 3g 4g and 4g-lte as different technologies.
in this way 4g and 4g-lte are different

Can argue many things but what is the commonly accepted meaning?

My phone has different symbols for 3g,4g, and 4glte.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My iPhone 6S always drops down to 3G when I make a phone call. This has been the case with all of my Rogers phones. It then jumps back to LTE when you are done. When I am roaming on the US AT&T network, i experience the same behaviour.

That is odd.. usually phones drop to "4g" here for calling if not on VoLTE.

maybe its just a provisioning thing from Rogers?

For example my nexus 5x will do LTE for data, and 4g(hpsa+) for voice.
This is on cricket which is AT&T. I haven't seen 3g in a year.

So to further 'prove' my point, I just got this e-mail from my ISP today (Name covered just in case I have to stick with them. Couldn't figure out another way to cover it, but I find it fitting):

IMG_20160928_172201_zpsl5bzefkp.jpg

Their previous reward system was $50 off your bill when the new customer gives your name, and after they pay for 3 months of service. Now... no reward whatsoever until 'tis the season when they are losing subscribers. How convenient.

Idc about this change. I've only referred 1 person, my mom, because she has the same problem I do. No other option.

What do I find VERY ironic (and here comes my 'proof')? Why would an ISP of this small size with no advertisement NOT reward referrals to cushion the bottom line? Why wouldn't they want more $? There couldn't possibly be a link between establishing a "seasonal" referral program and being OVERSUBSCRIBED could there?!?

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
Take your lies somewhere else. I just can't wait until I can take my $$$ somewhere else and post that EPIC review on their company. Took a few days off from my T-Mo research, but after this, the hunt is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back