Help selecting Battery charger

I have been reading the thread of JHZR2 and it seems a few here are fans of Noco or ctek.

I am in the market for a new charger and was thinking of a wheeled schumacher. Now I am not sure on what to get.

Most of the new chargers all say microprocessor controlled. Is there really that big a difference in chargers? I know they all have slightly different algorithms for charging.

Which charger offers the best value for a home/small farm setup.

Thanks.

It depends on the use, commercial or home-use.
I think all chargers today use microprocessors as the new type batteries require more precise metering and desulfation.
Schumacher is a reputable company so is Noco & CTEK, the big difference is what are the innards made out of?
I've only seen one comparison and that was the Noco vs CTEK and the reviewer (not on CTEK $) voted in favour of the latter as being better built.

A lot of older chargers use coiled transformers as power supplies, while newer ones use switched model power supplies. Switched mode supplies are cheaper, lighter, and very reliable, but they might give off a faint electrical buzz and perhaps radio signal interference. I believe they're generally more efficient.

Microprocessor controlled doesn't necessarily mean something all that sophisticated. It would be something running a fairly simple piece of software (firmware really). Might even be something as simple as a variation on the 40 year old 8051 microprocessor. I have some older analog controlled chargers. They seem to just stop charging once it reaches a set voltage, along with some things like a simple reverse polarity protection.

Depends on how much you're going to use it. I have a basic 8amp one that I got for around $20 a few years ago. I've only used it a couple of times. If you keep it under 10 amps, that's a good current rate to charge a battery at so that's why the 8amp is nice. There are cheaper 2 amp chargers but if you have an 80 amp hour battery in theory if you needed to charge it up fully it would take at least 40 hours. So far when my battery has been dead, the 8 amp charger takes about 4-5 hours which could mean the battery was only half dead or can no longer support the full rating.

Many of the newer style of chargers can't charge a very run down battery. They can't "See" the battery. The older ones will.
The older ones aren't looking, they'll just throw on a charge. The newer ones want to make sure they're hooked up right and want to see some kind of voltage. If it's completely dead, they won't "see" it.

The only chargers I've ever had that have been worth a **** are the wheeled Schumacher ones. Never had a Ctek or Noco.

Just watched the video. Also stumbled upon a Close Pl-2320 seems like it is a good value as well.
He has a handful of them comparing cycles, build etc...
On the other hand I don't think you can go wrong with either as they all seem to have the same gimmicky features they haven't been proven to do much of anything (read: repair modes,) but at least they charge your batteries...

The modern smaller lightweight chargers that use a switching power-supply usually do not last anywhere near as long as the old simple transformer ones that weigh a lot more. Now-days with the price of copper gone through the roof, it is hard to find anyone who still makes a simple transformer based one that uses a lot of copper in the big type transformer. It is hard to stay in business if you are producing a transformer based product that cost a lot more than the competitors switcher that has the same output current rating and cost a lot less.

The trouble with switchers having a short life expectancy is probably mostly due to the solid-state device having to work with the higher line voltage, and also that the bean counters will always use the lowest cost components. A solid state device that can handle the high voltage spikes seldom seen on the incoming AC power line cost more, so most manufacturers use the lower cost components that work fine until a voltage spike that more expensive components with higher voltage ratings could handle without being damaged comes along and blows out the lower cost component the bean counters opted to use to save a few dimes and then the device no longer works, and the consumer has to go buy another one.

So if you want to give a charger designed around a switching power supply a decent chance at a long life, protect it from voltage spikes on the incoming AC line by using a good surge suppressor on the line feeding it, and along with that do not leave it connected to the AC power when there may be a lightning storm coming through the area. It only takes one brief electric spike to wipe them out.

Many of the newer style of chargers can't charge a very run down battery. They can't "See" the battery. The older ones will.
The current Noco Genius series has a force mode for that reason. It will push a charge for a finite amount of time in order to get the charge high enough for the battery to be seen in auto mode. I do believe you lose polarity protection in that mode, so a double-check that the clamps are on the right posts is advisable.

The modern smaller lightweight chargers that use a switching power-supply usually do not last anywhere near as long as the old simple transformer ones that weigh a lot more. Now-days with the price of copper gone through the roof, it is hard to find anyone who still makes a simple transformer based one that uses a lot of copper in the big type transformer. It is hard to stay in business if you are producing a transformer based product that cost a lot more than the competitors switcher that has the same output current rating and cost a lot less.

The trouble with switchers having a short life expectancy is probably mostly due to the solid-state device having to work with the higher line voltage, and also that the bean counters will always use the lowest cost components. A solid state device that can handle the high voltage spikes seldom seen on the incoming AC power line cost more, so most manufacturers use the lower cost components that work fine until a voltage spike that more expensive components with higher voltage ratings could handle without being damaged comes along and blows out the lower cost component the bean counters opted to use to save a few dimes and then the device no longer works, and the consumer has to go buy another one.

So if you want to give a charger designed around a switching power supply a decent chance at a long life, protect it from voltage spikes on the incoming AC line by using a good surge suppressor on the line feeding it, and along with that do not leave it connected to the AC power when there may be a lightning storm coming through the area. It only takes one brief electric spike to wipe them out.
I think it boils down to how long you want to keep it and how many batteries you want to charge. I've had that 8amp charger for a few years. I think I've only used it about 3 times. Once to charge up a friend's battery and twice for my own battery when I left the fog lights on. Probably hasn't been on for more than 15 hours.

I think it boils down to how long you want to keep it and how many batteries you want to charge. I've had that 8amp charger for a few years. I think I've only used it about 3 times. Once to charge up a friend's battery and twice for my own battery when I left the fog lights on. Probably hasn't been on for more than 15 hours.
And even if you only use it a few times in several years, avoid like the plague using it if a thunderstorm will be coming through your area when it is connected to the AC power line. One good voltage spike and usually they are toast.

This makes sense.

Just watched the video. Also stumbled upon a Close Pl-2320 seems like it is a good value as well.
Clore Automotive makes some good battery chargers/maintainers. I've had one for years and it does a great job at not only charging batteries, but reconditioning a battery. Something you aren't going to get from the older style of battery charger.

And even if you only use it a few times in several years, avoid like the plague using it if a thunderstorm will be coming through your area when it is connected to the AC power line. One good voltage spike and usually they are toast.
Depends where you are in the country. Power lines here are underground. Lighting doesn't really get to them.

i've had a Stanley BC25BS hooked up to a deep cycle bank for 4 years continuously in a standby power application. survived dozens of thunderstorms and a cloud to ground strike about 100ft from the house. it floats at 13.6V, has a pulse reconditioning mode which I really don't use. automatically restarts charge routine after a power outage, etc. i've been very happy with it.

Back