Help selecting a distributor for a Vortec 7400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good friend of mine has a '97 Suburban SLE C2500 with this engine, and we're looking to replace the distributor. This has been something that was put off for quite some time, so it's time to get it out the way.

From what I've read, '97s have problems with the teeth at the end of the distributor shaft wearing out prematurely. There's also slightly more play in the distributor than what I'd consider normal, so it's time for a replacement.

I've been looking at two different MSD products, and was really looking for some input on which would be a better choice. I reckon this is a nice time to upgrade:

MSD 8360 Pro-Billet Distributor

MSD 85551 Pro-Billet Distributor

I'm not limited to these choices, and am wide open to other suggestions. I'm just confused as to what the differences were between the two. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm using one of the cheap billet aluminum distributors from Ebay that I bought for around $50 about four years ago for my 98 K3500 with the 7.4L and it runs fine. Quite a few people on some of the chevy truck forums I go to have also used these cheap distributors with no problems. Some of them have five year warranties. Here is the one I'm talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-CHEVY-VOR...355&vxp=mtr
Don't buy another plastic bodied one. The original dist. in my truck was cracked where both of the screws for the dist. cap bolted down and the cap would not tighten down anymore. I had to use zip ties on it.
The gear problem also happens on the 5.0 and 5.7L vortec engines as well and probably on the 4.3L.
I would buy one of the ebay ones before spending 200+ on the MSD one.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back