help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
car, 99 acura cl 2.3. I've been trying to get off the driver side wheel hub nut off. So far I've broken 5 half inch rechets and my only half inch breaker bar and I'm using a 3 foot chetter bar with my 200lbs frame to try and break it lose and nothing. I have no air tools that I can use. Any help would be awesome!

You are talking about the axle nut (I believe it's 36mm), correct? They are very tight - I think the torque spec is around 180 ft-lbs, and they can be almost impossible to remove without a STRONG impact gun. You can try penetrating oil (the longer the better), or you can try heat - don't go too crazy with it or you will damage the CV joint or boot.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
car, 99 acura cl 2.3. I've been trying to get off the driver side wheel hub nut off. So far I've broken 5 half inch rechets and my only half inch breaker bar and I'm using a 3 foot chetter bar with my 200lbs frame to try and break it lose and nothing. I have no air tools that I can use. Any help would be awesome!

Throw it back together, take it to a Firestone auto care or some place likely to be open on a Memorial Day weekend, have them break it loose while you sip a cool beverage in the waiting area.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Does your nut have a retaining tab? The hub nuts on my xB's front axles each have a retaining tab that needs to come out before going after the nut.

Yeah or sometimes there's a slit in the threads that you're supposed to punch a bit of your new axle nut into. Find out how/if acura secures this like most automakers do for their very important fasteners.

Have the CV axles been replaced before?

Many mechanics will use an impact gun and tighten the nut as far is it will go, making life difficult for the next person who must work on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back