Help me pick- ZT mower maintenance

Well - Cars are generally fuel injected, so wouldn't do any good to start with half-throttle - all my small engines are carbureted, so it does make a difference. The manual says this is the starting procedure...so I just do it as it starts quicker. 1st or second turn.....
....as far as 10W-30....Kawasaki says over 95°F (35° C) SAE 40

So I went ahead and splurged this time, we'll see if I stay the course... I just ordered 3 quarts of Amsoil ASF 10W40, 5 quarts of the Hydrostatic 20W50, and picked up some NG 7035s and SL10102s for filtration. Once I have some time on my hands to research some filter cross-referencing I will likely go with some other sizes. I did find a NG PS filter that says 3 microns nominal and beta 75=9 but unfortunately it's got an ADBV. I was thinking those would have been great for the hydros.

Anybody know any fine-filtering cans for the hydros?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Well - Cars are generally fuel injected, so wouldn't do any good to start with half-throttle - all my small engines are carbureted, so it does make a difference. The manual says this is the starting procedure...so I just do it as it starts quicker. 1st or second turn.....
....as far as 10W-30....Kawasaki says over 95°F (35° C) SAE 40

Yeah, I've learned Kawasaki has no clue how oil works. It seems at least the builders (engine dept., whatever) knows what they're doing. The reps told me XW-30 would basically spontaneously combust...

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
So I went ahead and splurged this time, we'll see if I stay the course... I just ordered 3 quarts of Amsoil ASF 10W40, 5 quarts of the Hydrostatic 20W50, and picked up some NG 7035s and SL10102s for filtration. Once I have some time on my hands to research some filter cross-referencing I will likely go with some other sizes. I did find a NG PS filter that says 3 microns nominal and beta 75=9 but unfortunately it's got an ADBV. I was thinking those would have been great for the hydros.

Anybody know any fine-filtering cans for the hydros?

As for the oil filter, 57035s are what I've been using, but based on some research I did last night, I may switch to 51348s. So far I can't find a single negative.

I have some 1348s and 1394s as well. One curious thing that I am going to do more digging on, is the 7035's page has wording similar to "catches more 10-12 micron particles than competitor's filter" or something like that. I know without a quantifier it's essentially meaningless, but if the filters are the same price I'm picking the finer filtration every time.

Are there any upgraded air filters to replace the Kawi one? I saw basically MiC knockoffs and the Kawi.

Nope, I've gone Kawi or gone home on air filters. The rest look way too cheap.
21.gif

There HAS TO be an advantage to the 57035... right?

.... I did find a NG PS filter that says 3 microns nominal and beta 75=9 but unfortunately it's got an ADBV. I was thinking those would have been great for the hydros. Anybody know any fine-filtering cans for the hydros?

On my older workplace Exmark Zero turn they offer 2 different hydro filters - one is less restrictive for use in colder conditions. I have no idea how your mower works, but be mindful that you don't want so much restriction in the hydro filters that the fluid flow is affected. They need lots of flow for proper cooling.

Congrats on your new mower. I bought a new Kubota in 1995 with a Kawasaki 14Hp engine. Always used 10W-30....mower cut from 1-4 acres of grass every summer till I sold it last year and it never used a drop of oil all summer. Since that engine did not have a filter I changed the oil twice a season and it's still running very well still.

You only cut 1-4 acres during the entire summer? I would have done that much with the weed eater LOL

I got 3.25 acres now, and even with a big portion that badly needs to be rolled several times, I cut about 2" off it in 1 hour 35 minutes on my first ever zero turn ride. After using a push mower most recently and a 42" riding mower as the biggest so far, it was quite a shock to see the swath a 60" mower cuts
lol.gif

You only cut 1-4 acres during the entire summer? I would have done that much with the weed eater LOL

I got 3.25 acres now, and even with a big portion that badly needs to be rolled several times, I cut about 2" off it in 1 hour 35 minutes on my first ever zero turn ride. After using a push mower most recently and a 42" riding mower as the biggest so far, it was quite a shock to see the swath a 60" mower cuts
lol.gif

LOL
No I cut 1-4 acres once a week on avg during the summer cutting season!!!ðŸ‘
Wish my mower had hour meter to just see how many that engine would have had on it in the 24 years I owned it
Kawasaki makes a great engine

Last edited:
Yep I sure hope this is the last mower I need to buy... if it lasts 24 years it should be pretty close LOL

Got the Amsoil & NAPA Gold filters ready to be placed into use this weekend, and assembling my LED lighting as we speak.

So I made a phone call to WIX and asked about the 57035 & 51348. I, ahem...
cool.gif
used my BITOG knowledge and hit them with their own facts.
lol.gif
Long story short, "they cannot go against what another manufacturer recommends" however they did state they "see no reason why it wouldn't be compatible, and it would offer better filtration."

We'll see what this so-called "filter rep" has to say when he comes to get my failed 57356...

Yep I sure hope this is the last mower I need to buy... if it lasts 24 years it should be pretty close LOL

Got the Amsoil & NAPA Gold filters ready to be placed into use this weekend, and assembling my LED lighting as we speak.

LED's !!!
Man your serious about cutting some grass !...‚

Sounds like a sweet mower! Pics?

I've seen some crazy hours on Kawi OPE engines used in various applications. Same with Kohler and Briggs for that matter.

A little advice on the ZT3100's. When it's still new, break the fill plugs loose on each drive, apply some anti-seize to them and re-install. They are in there TIGHT. These units drain out when the filters are removed.

I always ran PH3600 equivalent oil filters on my Kohler V-twins. Like you say, on my Cub Z-Force, there wasn't much room to spare with that size oil filter on.

How did that XG3600 work out for you? Are you still using it?

Thank you for your service, by the way!
You’re welcome.

Yes, the 3600 is on there still, it will be coming off for an OCI as soon as the weather warms a little. It’s got about 110 hours on it; depending on how it looks I may just use the 3614 size since the 3600 has only about 1/4” clearance when putting the filter on the threads. It fits, but it’s kinda a PITB.

Back