Help Me Pick My Next Oil Change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MParr
The oils you have on hand won’t hurt your car. You are OK to use the 10W30 in the Summer. Use the 5W30 the other 3 seasons. 5,000 mile OCI and OE filters.

CORRECT, 100% correct.

The oil you HAVE is paid for - it's approved - USE IT
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: MParr
The oils you have on hand won’t hurt your car. You are OK to use the 10W30 in the Summer. Use the 5W30 the other 3 seasons. 5,000 mile OCI and OE filters.

CORRECT, 100% correct.

The oil you HAVE is paid for - it's approved - USE IT
laugh.gif

So it seems the majority are saying use it and the oil will not cause problems. That is basically what I wanted to know. This is my first new car. I just want to make it last.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I already have 7+ years of oil on hand if you count the Trop Artic.

Why so much oil? You definitely don't need to be buying more oil. I don't understand all this oil hoarding that goes on on here. Before joining BITOG, I only bought what I needed. Then, after joining BITOG, for a little while I started buying oil that I found on sale and thus ended up buying more than I needed. I have returned to buying only what I need. People should buy oil because they need it and they should buy it when they need it ... they don't need to be buying oil and hoarding far more than they need (years worth of oil) just because it's on sale. That sounds like an addiction to me.

Anyway, I think the OP already knows that the oil he has will be just fine for his vehicle ... 10W-30 in late spring, during the summer, and early fall ... 5W-30 in late fall, during the winter, and early spring.

The OP said, "Reasoning is not my strong point."

My question is: Because of this, can the OP UNDERSTAND an answer to his question?

I suppose he can simply follow an instruction.

As far as embarrassing stashes go: Give them to me (I keep telling you!)

I think any of those oils you have on hand would be fine, but you shouldn't feel obligated to run the CS and Trop Artic if they make you uncomfortable.
Sounds like you have enough of the PP 5W30 on hand for a couple of years of changes at the OCI you have planned. Unless your finances are such that you really need to get a return on your investment in the CS and Trop Artic, that gives you some time to find a better home for them and you can make a final decision about using them yourself if they are still in your stash when the PP runs out. Maybe you have a lawnmower and can keep a jug around for that (not sure if you have a lawn to maintain).

Or, you can just buy more of the oil you are using now since you seem to really like it and try to give your whole stash away.
I agree with the sentiments to save your 10W30 for summer even though it probably work OK in a StL winter, probably makes sense given that you have 5W30s sitting in the same stash.

I'd run the conventional in the summer for a short 3-4k mile oil change if the thought of conventional bothered me. Use the syn for winter. I don't think you need to purchase any other oil myself. If I was closer, I'd offer you $1 a quart for the oil you don't feel comfortable with.
grin.gif

Re: Hoarding. I started "hoarding" oil when Walmart was clearing out PUP SM before the GLT roll out. I bought several 5 qt jugs for less than $10 a piece. I didn't even know if it was good oil then. That's kinda what brought me to BITOG. Turns out it was/is great stuff. Anyway, I was traveling a lot then, sometimes 5,000 miles a month so I was changing oil all the time at 10k OCIs. Then my wife got a job out of town and was commuting 2 hours a day. So again, I was going through quite a bit of oil. It made sense to find it cheap and stash a year's worth. Now my commute is 20 miles a day and we don't go on many trips because my wife is getting a PhD. She has a pretty good drive once a week for school but still not racking up miles like she used to. Now it doesn't make sense to have more than a 5 quart jug at a time in queue. I'm pretty much on once a year changes now @ ~5k miles. Plan is to buy what's on sale at the time I need it. I will horde Nissan Matic S and Honda DW-1 if I come across a screaming deal though...

I have been a "Buy on sale" hoarder since lonnnnng before coming to BITOG as well. I have 27 engines that I maintain (I don't change oil by time, only hours used, though)

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I will horde Nissan Matic S and Honda DW-1 if I come across a screaming deal though...

I have FINALLY built a small stash of Mercon V! Darn, I wish there were a good substitute...

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I already have 7+ years of oil on hand if you count the Trop Artic.

Why so much oil? You definitely don't need to be buying more oil. I don't understand all this oil hoarding that goes on on here. Before joining BITOG, I only bought what I needed. Then, after joining BITOG, for a little while I started buying oil that I found on sale and thus ended up buying more than I needed. I have returned to buying only what I need. People should buy oil because they need it and they should buy it when they need it ... they don't need to be buying oil and hoarding far more than they need (years worth of oil) just because it's on sale. That sounds like an addiction to me.

Anyway, I think the OP already knows that the oil he has will be just fine for his vehicle ... 10W-30 in late spring, during the summer, and early fall ... 5W-30 in late fall, during the winter, and early spring.

Why so much oil? Back in 2009 my Mom stopped producing enough blood. So for about 3 years she suffered after starting Chemo and getting transfusions. She had a stroke. I was on FMLA going out of town weekly take care of her. She lived 75 miles away. I was driving 25K a year. I had to add oil to my car weekly. She died and 4 months later my Stepfather started passing out randomly. I was his main caretaker. He lived alone after Mom passed. I was on FMLA again. Through this I had my oil burning Saturn. Basically, I was traveling a lot to go to ER or to weekly support my stepfather until he I got him in nursing home. Life happened. Some of those oil purchases were impulse buys during a very intense period of my life with my Saturn in mind.

One other thing. My father killed himself when I was 16. He was drunk most of the time so I never had Fatherly guidance with life. I had to learn a lot of things the hard way. I am coming here for your wisdom. I have doubts since the technical details of oil is beyond me. Now if you need a caring, detailed oriented caretaker I am your person. I am just wanting to take care of my car and grow in being more rational. I value your advice. You have clarified I do not have to run synthetic oil in my Elantra. It will be OK with all of the oil I have. Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I'd run the conventional in the summer for a short 3-4k mile oil change if the thought of conventional bothered me. Use the syn for winter. I don't think you need to purchase any other oil myself. If I was closer, I'd offer you $1 a quart for the oil you don't feel comfortable with.
grin.gif

Thanks for the offer. I did advertise my oil hoard on this forum, but no one local interested. I was just going to get rid of the oil and have the dealership change it. Then the RX300 was traded in for a new Lexus. That meant I had gallons of PP for the Elantra and the rest is history. Free PP in my Elantra, why not? I used to change the oil on the Lexus but not the new one.

I used to change the oil in my parents vehicles, so buying on sale made sense. I remember the days where oil was free after rebate.

I was thinking running the PP a little longer and CS shorter to only do 2 only changes a year. Not sure how Hyundai would like that since they say 3,750 for severe service. I have been here long enough to know the PP could go 10k, so 5k seems reasonable.

Personally I'd use the CS 10W-30 for the warmer weather. Hyundai/Kia engines are a little quieter and smoother on 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Personally I'd use the CS 10W-30 for the warmer weather. Hyundai/Kia engines are a little quieter and smoother on 10W-30.

Cool!
thumbsup2.gif

It is quiet with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I was the quieter in the RX300 also when I used PUP 5w-30. It is good to know the CS may keep the Elantra quiet also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back