Help Me Pick My Next Oil Change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is the 2017 Elantra with the 2.0 motor. Multiport. Hyundai says SM 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30. I just put free 5w-20 PUP from Wal-Mart and with OEM filter on Monday. Already, I am planning my Spring oil change. I am wanting to use up what I have in stock, but not convinced some of my choices will work well. I am very confident and like PP and PUP. Here are the choices:

1. 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum
2. 10w-30 Chevron Supreme
3. 5w-30 Trop Artic

All of these oil are SN. I drive 4 miles to work 4 days and 20 miles one day. Some days do additional driving or may just come home after work. Will be changing oil in May, so weather will be warm, then plan to change in Fall. Driving 8k+ a year. Since my driving habits fit severe service Hyundai says 3,750 mile schedule is required for warranty.

First, I want to tell you what I would choose and why:

1.Pennzoil Plantinum 5w-30. It will handle heat better and keep engine cleaner.
2.Chevron Supreme 10w-30. It is conventional. I have concerns it may reduce gas mileage a little and leave more deposits than the PP. Hyundai says I can use it when it is warm outside.
3.Trop Artic 5w-30 is an oil I do not have confidence with. I know my oil burning Saturn loved it as in using more oil when used.

I like PUP 5w-20 Synthetic like I am using now. On the other hand will it really make a difference if I use up the oils on hand? I need to be more rational and practical. Part of me wants to only use synthetic oil, but I already have too much oil. Thanks for your help!

Choice of filters in OEM or Fram Ultra if you want to add that to your recommendations.

10w30 CS if the car will be seeing 3750 oci's. Otherwise please don't waste synthetic or syn-blends on such a short interval.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
2.Chevron Supreme 10w-30. It is conventional. I have concerns it may reduce gas mileage a little and leave more deposits than the PP. Hyundai says I can use it when it is warm outside.

It's probably the best conventional you can buy and at $11.47 per bottle, it's half the price of Platinum.

I just put 5w-20 PUP from Wal-Mart

Driving 8k+ a year. Since my driving habits fit severe service Hyundai says 3,750 mile schedule is required for warranty.

I really don't think that it is THAT "severe" at all. I'd run that oil as long as hyundai will let you.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Offer free oil changes to those who cannot afford one to use up your stash oil.

Always a noble thing to do.

On the other hand will it really make a difference if I use up the oils on hand?

I would use the oil you already have.
but I already have too much oil.

I would use the oil you already have.

All three meet Hyundai specs. Use them up. Stay with the OE filter and limit your OCI to 5,000 miles. Our local Hyundai dealership uses Quaker State 5W30 blend, exclusively. After you’ve used up your stash, go with a 5W30 of your choice. I prefer a quality blend in my KIA but, if you can score a synthetic cheaper, use it.

Keep with PUP. It's as good as any oil your likely to find.

This.

Offer free oil changes to those who cannot afford one to use up your stash oil.

I have limited time, but did offer free oil to some coworkers. I did think about donating oil I do not use. My coworkers were not interested.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Keep with PUP. It's as good as any oil your likely to find.

This.

I agree.

I have about four containers of PP and CS each. I could see CS being my summer oil and PP being my winter oil. As far as wasting oil remember I had an oil burning Saturn. A quart per 600 miles. It is the reason I stocked up on so much extra oil.

So no one sees any of these oils causing a problem? I guess I am afraid of deposits in engine, especially in ring lands.

I have so much oil I have no problem with changing it more often like Hyundai likes. Now that I have a EZ Flow valve I can change oil in 15 minutes parked on the garage. No lifting needed.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
1). Fine
2). Fine
3). Fine

I think you are saying something, but I am not sure.
smile.gif

Remember, I am a Missouri boy. This is the Show Me State. I guess I am interested in your reasoning. Reasoning is not my strong point.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
With those short OCIs and since you like Shell products, I might suggest the Pennzoil Gold. It’s a synthetic blend which will be fine for your situation and a recent PDS of it posted here showed excellent stats on paper.

Check it out here. Credit to wemay. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

So the bottom line is I have too much oil. I just want to make sure what I have will not harm my car and keep my car in good working order. The link you provided is not helping with my oil addiction.
smile.gif

I appreciate the info. It is making me want more oil.
20.gif

I already have 7+ years of oil on hand if you count the Trop Artic. I think I need help.

The oils you have on hand won’t hurt your car. You are OK to use the 10W30 in the Summer. Use the 5W30 the other 3 seasons. 5,000 mile OCI and OE filters.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
With those short OCIs and since you like Shell products, I might suggest the Pennzoil Gold. It’s a synthetic blend which will be fine for your situation and a recent PDS of it posted here showed excellent stats on paper.

Check it out here. Credit to wemay. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

So the bottom line is I have too much oil. I just want to make sure what I have will not harm my car and keep my car in good working order. The link you provided is not helping with my oil addiction.
smile.gif

I appreciate the info. It is making me want more oil.
20.gif

I already have 7+ years of oil on hand if you count the Trop Artic. I think I need help.

Oil Aholics Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back