Help me decide between Fram and Mobil 1

I must confess to you, I really am as dumb as I look.

And this is Sunday morning on my way to church with an extra hour of sleep. Biscuitville here I come.

banana2.gif

If you change your filter with every oil change than you might as well use the Purolator. No need for a high end filter with 4k intervals.

Your choice despite all the marketing claims will not make a difference during your ownership of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Gebo
Let me try and help you understand my bias in oil filters. Even the color of the cans affect my decision on which to use. Yellow and orange make me think of lower quality. White seems cheap. Black is the quality color. Does that help?

Unreal, I am honestly unable to imagine a more irrelevant basis for purchasing an oil filter.

And we've seen some other good ones too such as the number of baseplate holes and presence of louvers. But rest assured, paint color takes the cake.

I believe it's what is on the outside of the can that matters. That's how I judge a filter. I don't look on the inside.

It's your money and your business but WOW! If I was like you I think Motorcraft white filters on the outside only are very well made and painted and they look High quality.
But inside some not so much.

Car is a Ford Taurus SHO (3.5L EcoBoost) that has been modified with a tune, complete exhaust system, and the typical other hot ridding tricks. After some UOA's, I have settled on 4,000 mile OCI's, using full synthetic oil of the latest Ford specifications.

At WalMart, the Fram Tough Guard oil filter is one penny MORE expensive than the Mobil 1 filter for my vehicle. *The Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter is several dollars cheaper, but that is my third choice to go with*

Is this a no-brainer decision, and I should just go with the Mobil 1, or would the Tough Guard be better for my shorter change intervals and engine modifications?

Z-

Go with the Fram Tough Guard because it's the most efficient of the three, but they're all well built and capable filters. Any one of those three changed on time will take your engine to many many miles though.

Back