Help me choose a new career.

Since the radiator and ac shop closed last October I have been working for a construction company fixing equipment.

Back ho's, excavators, trucks...stuff like that.

I absolutely hate this job. I have never been more miserable in my life.

I gotta make a change.

I really enjoyed AC repair. I was the only guy that could make custom ac hoses and repair old ones.

We did a lot of custom stuff for engine swaps people did.

Example: Put an LS in a mustang and I can make the lines as well as charge it and make it cold.

Stuff like that.

I just don't know how to take the plunge. I have done a few ac charges on weekends for friends of friends as well as making hoses for a local shop that can't or need the hose asap.

Not sure if there is enough business to keep me afloat. I thought about advertising on face book but I am concerned about weirdo's coming to my house. Also living on a dirt road may scare some people away.

I guess I could do mail order if someone is not in a hurry. Ideas?

Become an HVAC apprentice and after a few years have a good paying career with no downside. Of course in California there isn't a journeyman license requirement so you could skip the apprenticeship I suppose.

I had a few jobs like that. The next one was always a little bit better. Why don't you get something stable like say parts counter at an auto parts store and work in some courses at a junior college in a tradesman discipline. My local college has courses in all sorts of valuable skills like tool and die, aviation power plant/airframe, welding, construction trades. After a year or two you will be off to a very valuable and rewarding job.

Good luck!

"I really enjoyed AC repair. I was the only guy that could make custom ac hoses and repair old ones."

Follow your passion. It can provide life rewards beyond the paycheck. Just use common sense and move into it carefully. Some prefer the comfort of working for others, some have the entrepreneurial bent. Both work.

Best wishes in your endeavors.

Is there a $___ per hour you are looking for ?

GE has apprenticeships for medical equipment repair but I have no idea where they need help in California.

Why not set yourself up as a mobile A/C mechanic? You just get a van and load it up with tools and drive to your customers so they don't have to come visit you. I used to use a mechanic like that and then later on he just opened up his own shop. I think he started at $50/hour, then went to $60 and then when he had his own shop, he was at $80, then he moved away. Of course this was years ago. Found him on Craigslist but of course these days, probably Facebook Marketplace is the place to advertise.

The mail order thing will drive you nuts when customers cripe "where's my hose", I ordered it 4 days ago and I gotta get back out on the road in my Pete 378. Or the "you got the angle of the fittings wrong".

One thing to consider is what does your job offer? I wouldn't work at a job I love if the benefits suck i.e. no 401K.. .

Hi Chris, First thanks for reaching out here on BITOG to ask all of us for advice. I feel honored that you would even due that. It sounds like you like the Auto HVAC business. I would think one of your talents could find plenty of work there in the "Hot Rod Capital" of the U.S.

Vintage Air is comany that comes to mind. Although the company is HQ'd in San Antonio, they have plenty of distributors around the U.S. Here is link to their website where you might start some research. www.vintageair.com/distributors/ Given this listing you can take your pick geographically.

Anyone who is building or has built a high end hot rod, tribute car, muscle clone is going to install AC if it is going to be used at as a driver. Installing these retrofit systems takes skill and talent, with each one being a little different.

Good Luck in your search and consideration and for exploring what you want to do. I am sure that you have heard the old saying "Do what you want for a living, and you will never have to work a day in your life". Take Care!

I think your answer that you enjoyed ac work is the ticket. Why not start your own a/c shop. THE A/C Shop! I know it would be scary to start but its your passion, and with the right advertising i don't see why it won't work.

I think I said something along these lines when the radiator shop closed, but it would seem to me that good A/C people would be in high demand in CA.

open your own A/C shop. you already probably have established clients . i know a guy who has been a mechanic working out of his house for 30 years. he tells me he is always busy. once you are established , they will come to you