Help finding riding mower belt part number

Are there any part number wizards that can help me find a part number for the blade drive belt for my old riding mower? I have tried looking all over but can't seem to find it myself. I even downloaded the manual from a sketchy website and don't see it in there.

It's a craftsman 917.280330 with 17.5 hp engine

Attachments

• 20210830_140121.jpg
    20210830_140121.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 24
First go to https://www.searspartsdirect.com

Then enter the model number, in your case 917.280330.

Next, click on the orangish color button that says Shop Parts.

Click on the ground drive area to get the craftsman/Husqvarna ground drive belt (part number 56 in the diagram).

Now, scroll through the parts until you see the ground drive belt, and there it is, Part Number 532125907.

Now go back to the top of the web page and scroll over to the right until you see the Mower Deck. Now press on Mower Deck and you will see that you are looking for part number 27 in the diagram. Next, go through the parts list and you will see that the part number for the mower deck drive belt is Part Number 419271.

Just as an FYI, the 917 prefix in the model number indicates that your mower was manufactured by Husqvarna (also known as American Yard Products or AYP).

Now that you have the part numbers for the belts, you can go to www.jackssmallengines.com, www.rcpw.com, or any one of a large number of online OPE parts stores.

Note, most of these parts sights will give you the choice to order an OEM belt or an aftermarket belt. I've had good luck with aftermarket belts from Sterns, Rotary, and Oregon, and I saved some money along the way.

......Just as an FYI, the 917 prefix in the model number indicates that your mower was manufactured by Husqvarna (also known as American Yard Products or AYP)......
Yep and likely assembled in Orangeburg SC. My last Ariens ride on with the Kohler "No-Courage" engine was made there by AYP Husqvarna. Besides Craftsman, Poulan, Roper and others made there. Last belt I bought for the Ariens was a Husqvarna OEM from Amazon.

Btw, nice job helping out the OP, great explanation of what to do. (y) OP can google part # and see many purchase options.

Glad to have been of assistance. Yes, the Sears Parts Direct website can bee daunting at times. They need to do a better job at listing the most frequent parts that will need to be replaced.

Wow, absolutely stunning help!

OP: Snap a photo of the belt number before it wears off the side with your smartphone. If it isn't a direct part number, it likely will be the belt dimensions.

That way you can quickly reorder the part and even switch up belt formulations. I.e. A Kevlar reinforced belt for iron giant toughness, etc.

Wow, absolutely stunning help!

OP: Snap a photo of the belt number before it wears off the side with your smartphone. If it isn't a direct part number, it likely will be the belt dimensions.

That way you can quickly reorder the part and even switch up belt formulations. I.e. A Kevlar reinforced belt for iron giant toughness, etc.
I'm actually wondering if the belt he had on it was the wrong part which is why it failed though

Glad to have been of assistance. Yes, the Sears Parts Direct website can bee daunting at times. They need to do a better job at listing the most frequent parts that will need to be replaced.
Yes you can tell its a very old web design, most modern signs have sorting features or list most sold items at the top, instead all I see is nuts and bolts I hope I never need 😂

Back