Help Finding 274#2 and a question for Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried Mills out door and they did not have it. I'm trying to find the 274#2 for winter and probibly year round use because it is good to -15 to 300+ F. Does anyone know where I can get just a few tubes of it?

Also Bob you have told me in the past that the 221#2 is good year round in Colorado and that is what I have been using. I'm still a little worried in winter because it gets down to -15 sometimes and the 221#2 says on the tube it is good to +30F. Can you explain how it will protect my ball joints in sub 0 temps if I keep using it if I can not get the 274#2.
Mills does have the 274#1 that is good down to -30F but my truck needs a #2. Can I safely use the 274#1 year round if I can not find the 274#2?

Thanks for the help After I figuer this out I'll be able to sleep better at night!
grin.gif

Tim Mills should be able to get it for you. It may take a while as they may have to make up a batch in mid-stream.

Difference between the 1 and 2 is the thickness of the tac. I'd call tim and get hime to send you on of te #1 and see how it is compared to your standard #2 grease you normally run. Our 238 #1 for example is about like our 221#2.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Difference between the 1 and 2 is the thickness of the tac. ..... Our 238 #1 for example is about like our 221#2.

This is bringing me more questions than answers. Would someone expand on the differences in tac b/t grades #1 and #2 and why one should choose one or the other. I've always used grade #2 but I'm low on the learning curve on this subject. I might be interested in that 274 grease also.

What is the tac?

The difference between an NLGI 1 and 2 is the proportion of soap or thickener to oil. An NLGI 2 is a heavier grease so it has less oil and more thickener. An NLGI 1 is softer than a 2 so it has more oil and less thickener. This holds true through the entire NLGI range. Generally, the lower the thickener content, that is the more oil and softer the grease, the better the low temperature mobility properties.

Mills is going to carry it now and they will send me a few tubes when they get some in stock in a day or 2!

I just received two tubes of 274 #1 today from Tim Mills. Moderately soft (softer than 221) and very tacky.

Tac or tackifier is a "stickiness" agent that causes the lubricant to adhere to surfaces, and is usually comprised of polyisobutylene's or ethylene/propylene copolymers, which are synthetic hydrocarbons.

The thickener simply holds the oil in suspension and determines the hardness or softness of the grease (for the intended application) and provides a controlled "bleed" of the base oil, which actually does the lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back