Help choose the best oil for me engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 1998 Chevy S10 2.2L Auto I put about 30miles on it a day mixed driving but mostly city.
I have castrol gtx 5w30 in it now. (all my other fluids are valvoline)

what would be the best oil for my application.
it has 91K miles

slight valve cover leak but im gonna fix it soon little to no consumption OCI 3000-4500 r so must of the time closer to 3k

I have a 1999 Cavalier with the 2.2L engine. It got M1 15W-50 the day it came home from the dealer. It now has 211,000 miles and is used daily. I lived in the Wytheville, Pulaski area for 12 years and had no weather issues with 15W-50. It always started, and still does, before I can release the key.

If I were going to use a 30 grade oil, I think the best you could get for your application would be M1 10W-30 HM, Valvoline full synthetic 10W-30 MaxLife, or Valvoline 10W-30 MaxLife blend.

Can't kill the 2.2's... Use a decent oil and change at a reasonable interval and drive many happy miles!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
wouldnt it consume more fuel with a HM or 15w-50 oil since they are not energy cons.

I have used 15W-50 synthetic in every vehicle myself and my family have owned since 1990. Without exception, they all got better, some much better, than EPA estimates. I do not believe there is a a real world measurable difference in mileage from 5W-20 all the way up to 15W-50. If you go to the API web site, they clearly state than you may notice no difference/improvement in mileage with energy conserving oils. They are used for fleet average laboratory controlled tests. Mu old 1999 Cavalier with 211,000 miles is getting about 2 mpg better mile than my neighbors 2005/6 Cobalt with the 2.2 Intec engine. This is on the same roads, same weather, same conditions.

i have a friend that lives in Dublin, VA. He has a very nice, 1994 S-10, 4WD, with the 4.3 V6. He has been running M1 15W-50 for just over 10 years now. He actually gets a little better MPG than he did with the 10W-40 dino he ran from the day he brought it home from the dealer.

I have a 2008 Silverado with the 4.3 V6, and I have a full camper pack. I am getting 23 MPG on the road and 19 around home. It got M1 15W-50 right off the bat. It now has 6500 miles and is on its third OCI. It will get another at 8000 miles.

I also put Valvoline Dexron VI and a Wix transmission filter in very early on. I converted the Cavalier to Valvoline Dex VI at 200,000 miles. I actually could feel the difference and it got synthetic transmission fluid the day it came home and every 25,000miles. I wish Valvoline made a full synthetic 15W-50 with their add pack but with an HTHS of 4.5-5.2, and a 100 C cSt of no more than 18, 40C cSt of no more than 130. I would put that in everything I own, tonight.

Them 2.2's will run on veggie oil,close your eye's and pick one, it'll out last you.

of course i run M1(0w30 green cap) with a UPF filter in my '00 2200 sunfine

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
crazycrak said:
I also put Valvoline Dexron VI and a Wix transmission filter in very early on. I converted the Cavalier to Valvoline Dex VI at 200,000 miles. I actually could feel the difference and it got synthetic transmission fluid the day it came home and every 25,000miles. I wish Valvoline made a full synthetic 15W-50 with their add pack but with an HTHS of 4.5-5.2, and a 100 C cSt of no more than 18, 40C cSt of no more than 130. I would put that in everything I own, tonight.

NAPA oil is made by Ashland, and is very similar to Valvoline oil - doesn't NAPA have a 15W-50 grade? I thought I read that somewhere.....

how would mobil 1 0w-40 do ?

I figure great cold weahter start up and 40 for stop and go short trips or hualing in hot weather

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: FrankN4
crazycrak said:

NAPA oil is made by Ashland, and is very similar to Valvoline oil - doesn't NAPA have a 15W-50 grade? I thought I read that somewhere.....

Valvoline has 4 or 5 different 50 grade oils. They have conventional, blend, MaxLife blend, racing, and full synthetic. Their full synthetic is a low SAPS oil with only 1910 calcium and no sodium an no magnesium. It is also very thick, as are all of their 50 grade oils.

I would love to see the Synpower add pack in an oil with the above specks.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I drive a 1998 Chevy S10 2.2L Auto I put about 30miles on it a day mixed driving but mostly city.
I have castrol gtx 5w30 in it now. (all my other fluids are valvoline)

what would be the best oil for my application.
it has 91K miles

For that application and usage you are good as is.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back