Help a PC noob with case fans?

- can you turn your PSU so it sucks fresh air from under? If yes, I'd consider doing that

- if you have the possibility to add a fan on top (extracting hot air), I'd consider it. Either that or one more "intake" fan...depending on what you prefer, positive or negative pressure inside the case
No and no. The top, bottom, front, and MOBO panels are all 100% sealed. My only options are the vented side panel, the rear exhaust, or one bottom front intake fan spot that will suck what little air is available from the front cover cavity. That's why I want the biggest fans possible in the only two locations available, which are different sizes. And with only one fan header, that's why I was confused.

Why pwm fans they are controlled by bios.. if you are full power all the time just use regular fans at full power.(some fans have switch for low-m-high on them)

Measure and see if 120mm fans fit they are the standard and more options + cheaper + less noise.
I already measured in my OP. I'm not full power all the time. The end goal is less noise, that's why I don't want full speed fans and why I want PWM. In order to get the biggest fans available in the only two spots available, they're different sizes. And with one fan header, that was the reason for my question.

Do you even need new fans? you say
I already measured in my OP. I'm not full power all the time. The end goal is less noise, that's why I don't want full speed fans and why I want PWM. In order to get the biggest fans available in the only two spots available, they're different sizes. And with one fan header, that was the reason for my question.
do you even need more fans you say they arent running now? Should I write a book or are you already set in your plan.

The main question is, do you want it to be pwm control and if you do, is it critical and is it loud. I think for a supplemental case fan it is ok, but if you are looking for a CPU fan you got to watch out. Case temp doesn't fluctuate that fast vs chip temp. Picking a big enough for worst-case CFM and dB, then it should be fine with full-on cooling.
The GPU has it's own fan that works just fine, I'm just adding case fans to help out the other components. I'm assuming PWM means I can control what speed they constantly run at (overriding anything else). So if they're running constantly even when not needed, they should keep everything cool. If something happens and things get hot, I'm also assuming the MOBO will override my settings and kick into overdrive and cool things down. Maybe I'm assuming wrong...?

Last edited:
do you even need more fans you say they arent running now? Should I write a book or are you already set in your plan.
The one tiny fan doesn't run now because it's not PWM and it's not hot enough to turn on. I just want a fan to run at 30-50% 24/7 to help with airflow without introducing much noise. Again, noise is the problem, not temperature. If a fan is running at 100% it's making my problem worse. The noise is coming from the PSU and GPU fans. If those get better airflow, the fans will quiet down.

You can write a book if you want, but until someone shows me a better way, yes, that's the plan. Hence the original core question about mixing two sizes of PWM fans.

Rpm signal doesn't do much except a (usually) configurable error message (On top of the reported value that you can monitor if you want, of course).

I also agree investing in a better cpu cooler could be a good thing, depending of what you're looking for, temps and/or noise, etc.
The CPU cooler runs basically at an idle and is basically silent. The CPU temp stays nice and cool always. I planned on leaving it alone.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Report back how it works.
Sounds like you either didn't read my OP or are just having a bad day. Thanks for your help.

I'm the one asking if it's okay to connect the fans to solve my problem. If you have a better idea, let's hear it. I'm the admitted noob. Show me a better way if you have one. I wasn't the one who claimed to know it all.

Sounds like you either didn't read my OP or are just having a bad day. Thanks for your help.

I'm the one asking if it's okay to connect the fans to solve my problem. If you have a better idea, let's hear it. I'm the admitted noob. Show me a better way if you have one. I wasn't the one who claimed to know it all.
I guess I'm confused at exactly what you are trying to accomplish and you seem to have put together an answer and rereading the earlier posts a 3rd time isnt worth it.
(who claimed to know it all? or is that a dig?)

Random thoughts that might help you:
not going to package as your solution.

Can power using molex (4pin ide style connector) or sata power connectors

They make about 4 styles of fan controller or you could just get quiet fans and run them at 100%.

or you could get one of those adapters that runs them at constant 7 volts for quietness.
or about 5 other options.

PS. usually those 3 pin connectors on the motherboards have wattage limits and you have to deal with pwm signaling although many adapters cover this.

Assuming pwm anything is hard. check your bios and what it lets you do with the settings.
Fiddle with them for hours rebooting 10x to see how it works and such.. have to check with load unless its just for noise.

harder than fan controller or other fan power options.. for your use.. of a constant load mining computer. Also doesnt take into account seasonal changes in temp. where the computer is located.. alot easier to turn a knob up than it is reconfigure the pwm settings in the bios that you havent? looked at yet.

The one tiny fan doesn't run now because it's not PWM and it's not hot enough to turn on. I just want a fan to run at 30-50% 24/7 to help with airflow without introducing much noise. Again, noise is the problem, not temperature. If a fan is running at 100% it's making my problem worse. The noise is coming from the PSU and GPU fans. If those get better airflow, the fans will quiet down.

You can write a book if you want, but until someone shows me a better way, yes, that's the plan. Hence the original core question about mixing two sizes of PWM fans.

I am going to put it as simple as I can: if you only want it to run at a fixed speed, you just adjust the voltage to get there. Find a SATA to Molex adapter and a molex to 3-pin fan adapter, then at the molex to 3 pin adapter swap the 12V and 5V with a pen (pinch the key that hold the pin or socket in place and pull it out, swap and put it back in).

PWM stands for pulse width modulation, it is only needed if you need something to control it with a computer chip or some software. You don't need it if you only need one speed.

If this is still too complicated and you can afford, look on newegg / amazon and find a quiet fan with low rpm that runs on 12V, and just plug it in without swapping any pin. It may cost a few bucks more but it is even easier.

If you want quiet I think you’ll need a case better optimized for airflow. GamersNexus does some pretty extensive reviews. As for controlling them, you could use a fan controller plugged into your one PWM header, then all your fans plug into the controller which is powered by a SATA power connector as to not overload your motherboard header. Then your fans can be controlled via software.

If you want quiet I think you’ll need a case better optimized for airflow. GamersNexus does some pretty extensive reviews. As for controlling them, you could use a fan controller plugged into your one PWM header, then all your fans plug into the controller which is powered by a SATA power connector as to not overload your motherboard header. Then your fans can be controlled via software.

It is a prebuild. In today's market unless you absolutely are willing to pay you most likely will get a rebuild with some compromise. I was going to upgrade my dad's PC and then realize a good pre-build with Ryzen 4750G is about 1/2 of a DIY build of a similar grade.

Case fan power is the last of his worry, In the worst case just buy a low-speed fan and plug it in.

It is a prebuild. In today's market unless you absolutely are willing to pay you most likely will get a rebuild with some compromise. I was going to upgrade my dad's PC and then realize a good pre-build with Ryzen 4750G is about 1/2 of a DIY build of a similar grade.

Case fan power is the last of his worry, In the worst case just buy a low-speed fan and plug it in.
Yes, but his is using standard equipment so it will all fit into any PC case that accepts (from what I can tell) a mATX motherboard… it looks like he has an Asus Prime A520 motherboard.

Something like the Lian Li Lancool 215 X is available now from Newegg for $90. That comes with 2x200mm front fans and 1x120mm rear fan, has room for 2 more fans at the top, and room to expand if he ever decides to upgrade. Definitely overkill, but it’s an option.

I’d personally throw a $25 fan controller in there and control the fans via software then see how the noise and thermals are with that. If they’re unsatisfactory, I’d upgrade the case (and cpu cooler, but that’s just me).

Back