Heavy clutch pedal

Evening gents, few days back I had clutch kit and slave cylinder changed on my 02 Nissan Terrano 2.7 diesel manual. Kit mounted is made by Luk. It works perfectly except pedal is quite heavy, no noises or similar, just tad heavy. What can cause this, can this be normal on older trucks, given the size of pressure plate? Thanks

No two clutches feel the same. Is the system properly bled? Is the LUK a heavy duty clutch? If so there might be a slight difference in feel over a tired, worn old clutch. If it is properly bled and the slave cylinder is functioning properly I'd probably continue to drive it. My bet is in a week or so you'll be used to it if there are no mechanical issues with it.

No two clutches feel the same. Is the system properly bled? Is the LUK a heavy duty clutch? If so there might be a slight difference in feel over a tired, worn old clutch. If it is properly bled and the slave cylinder is functioning properly I'd probably continue to drive it. My bet is in a week or so you'll be used to it if there are no mechanical issues with it.
Shop that did the work is reputable, also know the main tech. I have fleet of cars and vans (all manual) but all are more modern and smaller engined, so not that comparable. No idea if LUK set is heavy duty, could be but it wasn't specified on the box and in Europe that isn't a practice in general for sale purpose.

Shop that did the work is reputable, also know the main tech. I have fleet of cars and vans (all manual) but all are more modern and smaller engined, so not that comparable. No idea if LUK set is heavy duty, could be but it wasn't specified on the box and in Europe that isn't a practice in general for sale purpose.
Hydraulics take care of the most of the pedal effort, but some clutches are harder to disengage than others. Generally speaking cars with smaller gas engines use smaller clutches than a diesel, even a small diesel. Improper bleeding can leave a slight amount of air in the system and could cause issues. Or it might be the nature of the beast, and the clutch is harder to operate, having a stronger pressure plate.

I had a shop do a clutch job once and I knew the job was botched when I couldn't get into reverse w/o some nasty grinding. From that point on I did my own clutch jobs.

Last edited:
Could be as simple as the tines on the new pressure plate being more stout, thus a heavier feel.
Exactly. It could be a heavy duty unit, or a pressure plate with more clamping force than the clutch the OP had prior. We might also have a case of comparing apples to oranges. As long as it works properly I wouldn't worry about it.

How many miles on the original clutch and pressure plate? Springs are like speakers, they need a few hours to break in and perform to their full potential. I'd be willing to bet that 500 miles from now your clutch will feel just like it used to.

What did the installer say?
Nothing really, he said clutch was fitted as it should. I do have full confidence in mechanic as that garage do all our vehicles and never had problems earlier.

How many miles on the original clutch and pressure plate? Springs are like speakers, they need a few hours to break in and perform to their full potential. I'd be willing to bet that 500 miles from now your clutch will feel just like it used to.
Old clutch lasted 262k km. Hope it will loosen up a bit, if not then I guess I'll have to get used to it .

Back