Heavy 5w30 Oil

am also pretty sure that the title of this thread didn't ask about 5w40, 10w30, or other grades. You guys just can't keep to the point and argue among yourselves in every thread. Also finding a bunch of members here are nothing but stalkers, looking to attack comments but never help the 'original question' posted by so many threadstarters. Pretty sad.

What was the question then? How would you answer it?

Me too! :) IMO it's one of the best 5w30s out there right now, it has a nice strong HTHS, it holds it's viscosity very well (according to my UOAs in my Corvette at least), it passes some nice European specs, and it's not that much more expensive that the regular Mobil 1 5w30 (up here it's only a couple of bucks more per jug. As long as they make it, I will run this oil in my Corvette 🥰
Same here! As long as they don't ruin it I'll be sticking with it. All things considered it is tough to beat for the price.

You'll need to dig up TDS's for oils. You might also consider a thin 5w40 or 0w40.

High Mileage oils are almost always "heavier" than their non-hm counterparts. Also, the Euro oils are usually "heavier".

What you are looking for is an ACEA A3/B4 5W-30, they tend to have a Kv100 right on the upper limit of a 30 usually around 12-12.4.

However i would imagine 5W-30 A3/B4 oils must be rare in the US.

You might consider Mobil 1 0w40, it's a pretty thin 40 and many people have used it in engines calling for 5w30 without problems.
This. Thin 40!

I love how no one ever answers the guys question in this thread. Simple question. What’s the thickest 5w30 oil at operating temp. Nope. Just “why why why just run 5w40” like come on

I love how no one ever answers the guys question in this thread. Simple question. What’s the thickest 5w30 oil at operating temp. Nope. Just “why why why just run 5w40” like come on
It’s been answered plenty of times, including literally the very first response. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. But only if it meets your engine’s recommended oil specifications. Of course, a 40 grade will work just as well.

PP Euro L is approved for the most stringent approvals within that category.
At a quick glance, it doesn't seem to meet MB 229.52, Porsche C30, VW 504.00/507.00 and API SP unlike say M1 ESP or Valvoline XL-III.

At a quick glance, it doesn't seem to meet MB 229.52, Porsche C30, VW 504.00/507.00 and API SP unlike say M1 ESP or Valvoline XL-III.
No it doesn’t. My take is just for given application, it is overkill anyway.
It is still excellent oil, very low Noack and high HTHS.
API is irrelevant for Euro cars, so you can find European oils still being API SL due to additive package.

No it doesn’t. My take is just for given application, it is overkill anyway.
It is still excellent oil, very low Noack and high HTHS.
API is irrelevant for Euro cars, so you can find European oils still being API SL due to additive package.
What's interesting is that the PP 0W-30 Euro LX variant meets MB 229.52, C30 and VW 504/507 but not BMW LL04 hah.

Anyway, my application is a bit different, as I want a sout 5W-30 for a non Euro car (Kia Sorento). I've used both M1 ESP and Valvoline XL-III so far

1699826758862.png

What's interesting is that the PP 0W-30 Euro LX variant meets MB 229.52, C30 and VW 504/507 but not BMW LL04 hah.

Anyway, my application is a bit different, as I want a sout 5W-30 for a non Euro car (Kia Sorento). I've used both M1 ESP and Valvoline XL-III so far

View attachment 188239
BMW approvals were discussed a lot in Euro forum. They again allowed 0WXX oil in LL01 and LL04 approvals. It is just a matter of time before LL04 is approved for LX. I know what approvals this oil has. THE MOST important one is MB229.51. .52 just adds a bit of cold performance and LSPI test. But in Euro oils, LSPI is generally nonissue as calcium is well balanced by other additives.

Back