Heavy 5w30 Oil

My go to heavy 5W30 is Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4. It's both heavy weight (viscosity) and has a heavy add pack (SAPS).

It's a full synthetic, long-life, stay-in-grade, Euro rated, high SAPS, high ZDDP, high HTHS oil that carries the stringent quality OEMs of MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01.

KV100 ~ 12 cSt
HTHS >= 3.5 cP
Noack SA ~ 1.2%
TBN > 10 (~12)
Zinc ~ 1000 ppm (so chemical limits force it to be API SL, but it's much higher in quality than this would imply)

I use Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 all the time, and have many jugs of it in my oil stash.

Last edited:
What you are looking for is an ACEA A3/B4 5W-30, they tend to have a Kv100 right on the upper limit of a 30 usually around 12-12.4.

However i would imagine 5W-30 A3/B4 oils must be rare in the US.

You might consider Mobil 1 0w40, it's a pretty thin 40 and many people have used it in engines calling for 5w30 without problems.
One of the thickest 5W-30's:

"Castrol Euro 5W-30 A3/B4" is $31.22 at Walmart in the US:

HTHS = 3.5
KV 100 = 12.1

I would like to know what brand make the heaviest 5w30 weight motor oil. Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil In what varieties Synthetic, High mileage or fully synthetic? Thanks
What's the application?

Redline 5w30 has a HTHS of 3.7
^This would be my go to for a "heavy" 30-grade.
But at the moment it makes more sense for me financially (and availability-wise) to just go for a "light" 40-grade. In the end the two are the same-ish, but second option is usually easier on the wallet and available everywhere if I need it ASAP.
M1 FS 0W-40 and Quaker State EURO 5W-40 are my current favorites, based on Price/Quality/Availability. Having Porsche A40 and MB 229.5 approvals is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Edge High Mileage 5w30 is 11.3 @ 100c ,Redline is 11.9. I'd run Mobil 1 ESP now that they thinned out Mobil 1 truck and suv. Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage is barely a w40.

Last edited:
What you are looking for is an ACEA A3/B4 5W-30, they tend to have a Kv100 right on the upper limit of a 30 usually around 12-12.4.

However i would imagine 5W-30 A3/B4 oils must be rare in the US.

You might consider Mobil 1 0w40, it's a pretty thin 40 and many people have used it in engines calling for 5w30 without problems.
At my local Walmart, Castrol Edge A3/B4 is always in stock. As is PP euro l. Not sure where OP is located

Or get quaker state euro 5w-40. Cheaper and better.
No, it is not.
Quaker State 5W40 is basically the previous version of PP Euro 5W40 (SN+ version. Now it indicates SP but that is only bcs. the oil was already meeting SP specification even before the specification was officially introduced). The pour point indicates much more Group III base stocks. That was the time when SOPUS had some issues with GTL supply. I think HTHS is in 3.6 range.
PP Euro L pur point of -45 indicates more GTL. HTHS is 3.68, which is actually higher than Mobil1 0W40 and right in the line with Castrol Edge 0W40 (SN) or Redline 5W30. GTL oils in general have high HTHS and lower pour points.

PP Euro L pur point of -45 indicates more GTL. HTHS is 3.68, which is actually higher than Mobil1 0W40 and right in the line with Castrol Edge 0W40 (SN) or Redline 5W30. GTL oils in general have high HTHS and lower pour points.
The oft promoted ILSAC 10W30 Quaker State has a pour point of -54 and low % VM
so - that wins ! :) :) ;)

The oft promoted ILSAC 10W30 Quaker State has a pour point of -54 and low % VM
so - that wins ! :) :) ;)
Sure. My point was just to indicate what QS 5W40 is. It is simply an old PP Euro 5W40. Not saying it is a bad oil.
Also, the comparison between approvals is not correct. PP Euro L is approved for the most stringent approvals within that category. If going 5W40, PP Euro 5W40 is really, really good stuff with HTHS above 3.8.

I have a few vehicles with high mileage, Just wanted to learn more about oil viscosities, Do Walmart or my local auto parts store carry European oils.
Yes, you can find various euro oils at some walmarts and definitely at the website. Same can be said about any major autopart store.

I am also pretty sure that the title of this thread didn't ask about 5w40, 10w30, or other grades. You guys just can't keep to the point and argue among yourselves in every thread. Also finding a bunch of members here are nothing but stalkers, looking to attack comments but never help the 'original question' posted by so many threadstarters. Pretty sad.

For a "heavy weight" 5w30 motor oil I like Mobil ESP. ;)

Me too! :) IMO it's one of the best 5w30s out there right now, it has a nice strong HTHS, it holds it's viscosity very well (according to my UOAs in my Corvette at least), it passes some nice European specs, and it's not that much more expensive that the regular Mobil 1 5w30 (up here it's only a couple of bucks more per jug. As long as they make it, I will run this oil in my Corvette 🥰

... Also finding a bunch of members here are nothing but stalkers, looking to attack comments but never help the 'original question' posted by so many threadstarters. Pretty sad.
All I saw stated is he has some high mileage cars. He assumes he might need a heavier oil.

O.P.:
Is you car burning oil? is it noisy when hot?

Back