Heating up VSOT prior to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per Valvoline's instructions...They want you to pour VSOT into a warm, running engine. Its obvious that they feel this process benefits mixing, which I don't doubt. But for some folks this could present some problems. First of all, it would require you to run the engine as much as 15oz below normal capacity during warm-up. Second, it can be difficult to pour anything into the oil filler a running engine(without making a mess)because of air velocity generated by the cooling fan.
I know many VSOT users(including me)here opt to premix thier VSOT & oil prior to pouring it in. Do you think there would be anything to be gained by heating up the VSOT prior mixing it and adding to the vehicle?

Running your engine 15 oz low isn't going to hurt anything. The oil pump pickup is still going to be submerged in oil. Just don't do any high g-force cornering. I don't have any experience with VSOT, but the engine has to be running??? Yeah I suppose that would be difficult. Not too mention the oil probably spurting out the fill cap.

how about just sticking the VSOT into some "about to boil" water for a time before you put it into the engine? That would warm it up nicely!

Thats what I did with my AutoRx before I put it into my engine. Of course I only left it in for a few minutes, and then did the proper shake up before putting it into the engine.

I have poured Maxlife Engine Protector (same thickness as VSOT) in my engine when it was shut off. The engine was fully warmed up though, and after letting the bottle drain out for about 20 minutes I took a good drive to mix it in. But perhaps some engines with smaller oil drains (or clogged oil drains) would not agree with that treatment.

Best way to warm VSOT is in the heating season. Just place it near the heat duct a day before you want to pour it in.

At what temperature do you think the bottle would pop open and spew VSOT all over the wall (or stove if using nearly boiling water). Since boiling water (at sea level) never exceeds 212F (need a pressure cooker to raise the temperature above that), using about to boil water probably will only spare you the last few degrees and may still result in a "room air freshener" effect when the lid blows.

I always just pour one quart of oil, then the VSOT, then the remaining two-and-a-half quarts as a chaser into a non-running engine. If it's a problem, it hasn't presented itself as one yet. I make sure the VSOT is reasonably warm (i.e., keep it in the car with me on the drive home from work), but other than that I don't worry about it.

you don't leave the cap screwed on the VSOT when you put it into the hot water! Just sit it on top of the bottle, without it being screwed on.

And of course, the heat source should be removed from the water BEFORE you do this!

Believe me, it works just fine.

Ohhh!
pat.gif
Of course. Unscrew the cap first. Just don't let it tip over in the pot or you'll have soup.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back