Heat Pumps Improve EV Range in Cold Weather

How is an EV goinng to drag around a heat pump? A Rube Goldberg design for sure.

heat pump.jpg
Goldberg.jpg

How is an EV goinng to drag around a heat pump? A Rube Goldberg design for sure.

View attachment 134937
View attachment 134938
I suspect that you're trying to be funny, but just in case you've posted because you're unfamiliar with the technology, here's an article with pictures to help you understand the setup. Tesla's been using heat pumps for several years now. I've posted a pic just to make it a bit easier for you to see that Mr. Goldberg's expertise is sorely lacking here.

model-y-octovalve.jpg

Last edited:
Proves my point. I assume that device has lots of extra seals, a pump, valves, plastic bits, an aluminum heat exchanger and fluid.

Must be a Goldberg design for sure. What could go wrong with that?

Literally all the same parts vehicle air conditioning systems have had for nearly a century.

Proves my point. I assume that device has lots of extra seals, a pump, valves, plastic bits, an aluminum heat exchanger and fluid.

Assume? You know the adage about "assume" right?

Last edited:
My Prius Prime has this getup. So in ten years when all the r1234yf leaks out I will not only have no AC, but no heat as well.

Tesla's heat pump system is unlike a home heat pump. The idea is rather interesting, and it can take heat from the motor and battery pack.

It really is an equalizer. It's for keeping the battery and motors at optimum temperature, both raising and lowering temperatures and heating the cabin. Sure it does eat some range but it works very well at its purpose and on a cold day in a pinch I'd rather be in the Tesla than the VW.

Actually the opposite.

It's a master class in thermal packaging and efficiency - not the heat pump part per se, but the octovalve assembly that proportions and directs it.

This is the kind of thinking you just dont see at the legacy automakers as a result mainly of their compartmentalizations.

Sandy munro has a few vids on it and why it's so clever, and compares everything to it as a reference to what can be achieved.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 5.23.03 PM.png

Last edited:
It's a master class in thermal packaging and efficiency
Thank you for that eye opening video. The complexity and probable cost to maintain these systems will be mind numbing. Thirty-two coolant hoses? If I ever needed a nudge to go retro in my vehicle choices this provided it. If the average Joe wants to drive a four wheeled version of this, go for it.

I'm buggin' out.

space shuttle.jpg

Thank you for that eye opening video. The complexity and probable cost to maintain these systems will be mind numbing. Thirty-two coolant hoses? If I ever needed a nudge to go retro in my vehicle choices this provided it. If the average Joe wants to drive a four wheeled version of this, go for it.

I'm buggin' out.

View attachment 135001
How many hoses do you think are under the hood of your gas car? I can assure you it's a similar amount.

Really good. I have heat in the car in at least half the time as my GTI.

Yes, but does the system have resistive heating aswell for when it's too cold for the heat pump to be effective? I'm sure it does and that explains it working really good. Except range will suffer just as the battery isn't in any mood to play.

Yes, but does the system have resistive heating aswell for when it's too cold for the heat pump to be effective? I'm sure it does and that explains it working really good. Except range will suffer just as the battery isn't in any mood to play.

“The system conducts thermodynamic arbitrage from finite source thermodynamic sources and has the ability to augment those finite sources “

Back