headlight lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is best product to use on plastic headlight lenses to keep them from deteriating.

I got ok results with the Meguires PlstiX, but didn't last long. Then I used 3M Plastic cleaner followed by 3M plastic polish (available at NAPA). The results were much better, and lasts a lot longer. I do it every 6 months or so, and my lenses look a lot better now.

If you need 3M product numbers (so NAPA can order them), let me know.

I put a thin coat of Mother's plastic polish on all my plastic light covers (headlight, tail lights, and cornering lights) about once a month. Just enought to give it some protection without getting too abrasive.

I loaned my bottle to a co-worker whose headlight covers were horribly hazed. She had to really put some elbow grease in it, but they now look almost new. She said the difference in driving was unbelievable and that now she can see much better with low beams than she could previously with her high beams.

Isn't it amazing how many cars you see driving around with hazed over lights?

wmor51,

3M Plastic cleaner 39017 (Part# 051131)
3M Plastic polish 39010 (Part# 051131)

They both have same part# as you can see, but the "product number" is different. Give them to NAPA, if they don't have them in stock (they usually do), and they can get the catalog and order them for you. (I'm sure you can get them online, too)
Good luck.

PS: apply them long enough, scrub hard..it takes a bit of time and patience. cleaner first!

Nu finish is rated best by consumer reports because it has no polish in it to remove your paint. Its just a wax.

"Nu finish is rated best by consumer reports because it has no polish in it to remove your paint. Its just a wax."

NO wax in NuFinish.

It is a sealant.

Read the label.

Polishing compounds. Lately I've been using some NuFinish after polishing up some of the hazed areas, and it seems to work nicely as a finish and water beader.

they do not make the lampgards for my suzuki aerio sx anyway. but thanks everyone for your advice.

wmor51 is the discloration on the outside or insode of the headlamp? I know alot of fords has this prob on the inside and you jsut have to buy new headlamps.

miguires has a plastic cleaner and polish also. well they did at one time. I have both and works great on my 95 rangers headlamps. if you get any of these products I would get a buffer too. makes it eaiser and quicker to clean the lamps. than by hand.

dark jedi i have a 06 aerio sx and wanted to fine somthing to prevent from happening. i have decided to use aerospace 303 once a month. hope it works.

Best thing to use to protect the plastic headlight lenses from deteriorating over time is one of the 3M clear film products that is applied to the headlights. It is sold under several different brand names (Clear Bra, Rockblocker, etc.) Some places even sell the product in sheets which you can then cut to fit.

Plexus is good stuff for cleaning/protecting plastic. I swear by it for cleaning and protecting the clear plastic cover over my instrument cluster. I also use it on my headlights, taillights and even use it on my aftermarket window tint film.

I recently tried putting 303 aerospace protector on the headlights. Too soon to know how much it helps. Used a 3" buffer attachment for the drill. Worked really well.

Plexus is a good safe plastic cleaner. It's just the same thing as lemon pledge believe it or not. I found this out on a guided motorcycle tour. The tour guides cleaned all of our visors with lemon pledge and it worked exactly the same (even smelled similar) as my can of plexus.

Plexus is not the same thing as the 2 stage cleaner/polish offered by Meguiars and by 3M referred to above. These products will take out scratches and microscopic pitting, making plastic look new. These are the real deal, and worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back