Head lamp Recommendations

I've had a string of Petzl AAA units over the last 20 years or so, until I found the BudgetLightForum and fell into the rabbit hole. Now I have and use regularly a Skilhunt H03 while the Petzls sit in a drawer until someone needs a loaner.

The Skilhunt is cheap and tough and does what I need done; I think it's great. One of the best things about it is that 18650 cell- it's what you want for sure. Once you've switched over to LiPo batts (and there's an upfront cost in batteries and a charger) you will *never* go back.

I used a Craftsman one today fixing my dads friends truck and man that thing was nice. It’s rechargeable too. Very bright. I might go buy myself one of those I was surprised.

I used to go in for fancy flashlights but realized I often didn't have one handy when I wanted one. Now I tend to go for quantity over quality... lots of walmart and harbor freight type flashlights and headlamps floating around house, shop, cars, trucks and toolboxes. The ones I tend to grab the most often are the harbor freight knockoff of the astra work lights.

A couple of things to consider when picking head lamps is: (1) how much weight do you want to carry on your head? Headlamps that run on 18650's are generally going to bigger than lamps that use AA or AAA batteries (and often rechargeable models). There's a reason why 18650 head lamps generally have the third strap that goes over the head. The bigger, heavier lamps require it for stability. Some large lamps even have the battery pack on the back which isn't very good when you're lying on the ground working on something overhead. (2) Colour temperature. I generally prefer warm whites for camping and night hikes but for working on my car, I prefer neutral white or even cooler. Generally, I find that if the application requires brighter light then I opt for a cooler colour temperature. For low light level applications, like chores in a tent before turning in for the night, I prefer a warmer light. (3) If you want to use this for things like camping, what mode does the lamp start up in? If your eyes are already dark adapted, you don't want a headlamp that always starts up in "high" or even "medium". Again, if you're using this for camping, does the head lamp have a decent moonlight or firefly mode (< 1lux).

FWIW, I have warm-white Armytek Tiara, a neutral-white Fenix HL50, and a neutral-white Fenix HL23. They are all AA lamps. For working on my car, I gravitate towards the Fenix HL50.

In my collection I also have an 18650 based hand flashlight because everyone should have at least one >1000 lumen flashlight. (I find the best combination for night hikes is to use both a head lamp and a regular hand held flashlight.)

The only light I'm a bit disappointed with is the HL23. Build quality is excellent but it tends to throttle down its high mode too quickly. My HL50 doesn't do that, and as a bonus, can use CR123 batteries if you ever need a light in extreme cold weather where alkaline, NiMH, and even regular 18650 type batteries aren't happy. Only downside to many Fenix models is a lack of a good moonlight or firefly mode.

A couple of things to consider when picking head lamps is: (1) how much weight do you want to carry on your head? Headlamps that run on 18650's are generally going to bigger than lamps that use AA or AAA batteries (and often rechargeable models). There's a reason why 18650 head lamps generally have the third strap that goes over the head. The bigger, heavier lamps require it for stability. Some large lamps even have the battery pack on the back which isn't very good when you're lying on the ground working on something overhead. (2) Colour temperature. I generally prefer warm whites for camping and night hikes but for working on my car, I prefer neutral white or even cooler. Generally, I find that if the application requires brighter light then I opt for a cooler colour temperature. For low light level applications, like chores in a tent before turning in for the night, I prefer a warmer light. (3) If you want to use this for things like camping, what mode does the lamp start up in? If your eyes are already dark adapted, you don't want a headlamp that always starts up in "high" or even "medium". Again, if you're using this for camping, does the head lamp have a decent moonlight or firefly mode (< 1lux).

FWIW, I have warm-white Armytek Tiara, a neutral-white Fenix HL50, and a neutral-white Fenix HL23. They are all AA lamps. For working on my car, I gravitate towards the Fenix HL50.

In my collection I also have an 18650 based hand flashlight because everyone should have at least one >1000 lumen flashlight. (I find the best combination for night hikes is to use both a head lamp and a regular hand held flashlight.)

The only light I'm a bit disappointed with is the HL23. Build quality is excellent but it tends to throttle down its high mode too quickly. My HL50 doesn't do that, and as a bonus, can use CR123 batteries if you ever need a light in extreme cold weather where alkaline, NiMH, and even regular 18650 type batteries aren't happy. Only downside to many Fenix models is a lack of a good moonlight or firefly mode.
Correction: I have an Fenix HM23, not an HL23.

Nicely detailed and spot on... I will say that yes some headlamps can be quite large/bulky the HM65R from Fenix is unique in that the body is magnesium and is definitely a bit lighter than the best quality aluminum. I bought it to replace the HP25 I used quite a bit, which is a 4AA form factor. The 25 was quite a bit more bulky than the 65 and of course nowhere near as much output. Also like that the 65 is cool for spot and neutral for flood, so you have the best of both beam types/tints at any power level needed. No comment on the faint moonlight type mode (missing from all headlamps I've had) as it's not my thing, but to each their own.

All of my flashlights, headlamps, and the batteries for them are Fenix.

Zero complaints. Have used them in all temps, all weather, and on several continents.

18650 lights seem so bulky and heavy. I clunk a little AAA light when wearing it... I think a 14500 battery based might be a good option. One thst takes the USB port rechargeable.

I don’t know thst such a unit exists though...

Edit: I may grab one of these:

18650 lamps are great when you need to turn night into day though. For example, some of my work colleagues like to go downhill mountain biking after work which, at this time of year, means riding in the dark. Here, the extra bulk is worth not crashing into a tree.

That said, if The Critic is looking for a headlamp solely for wrenching (ie close range), how much light is suitable for this application? When I'm working on my car, using my Fenix HL50 I'm normally using its medium or high modes which are "only" 55 and 150 lumens respectively. This is in overcast or night time conditions though. You might want more light if you are trying to illuminate a dark cavity while working under your car during high noon.

My parents bought me a really nice Lux Pro headlamp today at Lowe’s. Wasn’t cheap either I really like it it can change colors too. I was kinda bummed because I wanted the rechargeable Craftsman but oh well I’m still thankful for it. Works excellent used it tonight working on the truck.

My parents bought me a really nice Lux Pro headlamp today at Lowe’s. Wasn’t cheap either I really like it it can change colors too. I was kinda bummed because I wanted the rechargeable Craftsman but oh well I’m still thankful for it. Works excellent used it tonight working on the truck.

Get both. You can never have too many flashlights. :)

If you haven't done so already, get a good supply of Eneloop rechargeable batteries to feed your lights. Keep a set on standby so you never have to wait to recharge. Alkaline batteries just aren't work the leakage risk.

Get both. You can never have too many flashlights. :)

If you haven't done so already, get a good supply of Eneloop rechargeable batteries to feed your lights. Keep a set on standby so you never have to wait to recharge. Alkaline batteries just aren't work the leakage risk.
Agreed. Also can’t have too many that go on your head so you don’t have to hold them 😆. I’ll have to look at those batteries. 🙂

Back