Head lamp Recommendations

Looking for a head lamp that is suitable for automotive repair.

No set budget, just want something that is reasonably bright with available back-up batteries.

Fénix HL60R and Nitecore HC65 are two models that have been recommended to me.

Last edited:
I really like my Olight h2r in the 'warm white'

The turbo setting of 2000 lumens is insane, but short lived and the battery eventually decides it can't support it.

The strap is good lasting longer than the Nitecore.
Issues might be the magnetic tailcap sticking to various undersides of the vehicle when sticking head close to steel.

same magentic charging base/cap is great though, wave the end of the light near the charging cap and snap, its charging.

i did not think this feature would be desirable, Was used to removing and replacing batteries and perfectly ok with it on my failed HC-50, but really enjoy it.

Olight has a new 21700 based headlamp out recently, the perun2

Only other experience I have with similar power head lamps, was the nitecore HC-50, which became intermittent, and chewed through the 3400 mah batteries faster on high, ~565 lumens

Check out candlepower forums

The H2r on high, not turbo, on my head, Beats a 2400 lumen light placed in the general area of work, but both is best.

Just got this one:

Energizer VISION LED Headlamp Flashlight, 400 High Lumens, IPX4 Water Resistant, Multiple Modes

Reasonably priced. Good brightness (400 lumens). Rechargeable.

Initial impressions are good. Works well and it’s not so expensive that I will shed a tear if I break it.

If I may...
I use the pair from Costco, instant rebate, were very inexpensive.
I insert the Panasonic-style rechargables (also Costco) - NiMH.
I been messing with rechargables since the 80's (to no satisfaction), but they finally got it right with these.
I get the Costco starters and fill in with Amazon batteries, probably got 100 around the house.
Once a month or so I move room to room with chargers and spares and recharge all in that space, next!

I have put a Coast HL7 305 Lumens(about $30) through many car repairs, fishing trips, and etc.. HL7 has a true spot light and flood by adjustment on the front. Light intensity is variable with a slide lever on the back that houses the batteries. I use rechargeable batteries, but always keep some regular batteries if needed.

I had no idea they had rechargeable headlamps. I use my ultra cheap Mossy Oak one from Walmart it works good I got it covered in oil once and it didn’t affect it at all.

I understand the desire for a a light which can take easily purchased Alkaline batteries. I used to desire the same, and had no issues swapping in eneloops while charging others

OP's two listed initial considerations for headlamps are Lithium based lights over 60$.

The energy density of Lithium can't be matched by alkaline or NIMH.
The higher voltage of a single lithium cell, can mean a lot more potential light output.
The higher energy density means a lot more light potential, for a lot longer.

I've heard great things about Fenix, Zebralight and armytek, as well as Acebeam, but only have experience with the nitecore HC-50 which failed after a few years, and the Olight H2R, and these blow away my former Eneloop powered warehouse store bought lights I had previously. Different league.

I use a Pelican 2780R at work, and have no complaints aside from slow-ish charge time. I keep meaning to buy another battery for it, but I have an older AA-powered Petzl as a backup.

I had a Coast HL7 305 for the longest time, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It held up under "industrial use" for quite some time. That is until I lost it under a conveyor many years ago, and that was when I was paying for my stuff.

My current work provides tools and accessories and ironically I've found the cheap Energizer ones work really good. I had a nice Milwaukee and it didn't last a month before it broke. I just glued a magnet to it and made a work lamp, I hate to waste stuff even if I didn't buy it. This is my current one (the little red lights are handy for annoying your co-workers :LOL:)

I have put a Coast HL7 305 Lumens(about $30) through many car repairs, fishing trips, and etc.. HL7 has a true spot light and flood by adjustment on the front. Light intensity is variable with a slide lever on the back that houses the batteries. I use rechargeable batteries, but always keep some regular batteries if needed.
I have used the Coast HL7 for about 8 years when I paid $49 for it at Lowes. Now that it has come down to $30, it is a bargain. Don't underestimate the benefit of a variable focus beam and the adjustable brightness on this headlight. Sometimes 305 lumens is too bright and produces blinding glare from close objects/surfaces such as working under a car on jack stands. The only complaint is that the elastic headband has finally stretched to the point where I have no more adjustment range.

I have used the Coast HL7 for about 8 years when I paid $49 for it at Lowes. Now that it has come down to $30, it is a bargain. Don't underestimate the benefit of a variable focus beam and the adjustable brightness on this headlight. Sometimes 305 lumens is too bright and produces blinding glare from close objects/surfaces such as working under a car on jack stands. The only complaint is that the elastic headband has finally stretched to the point where I have no more adjustment range.

My headband has stretched too.

What I like the most about the HL7 is the spotlight...bright in the center like it should be. Flood is very good too.

I'm partial to Fenix lights. The price to performance ratio is great. My favorite headlamp is the Fenix HM61R. I find the flood pattern and the ability to detach it and use as a regular flashlight make it more useful than a normal headlamp.

I understand the desire for a a light which can take easily purchased Alkaline batteries. I used to desire the same, and had no issues swapping in eneloops while charging others

OP's two listed initial considerations for headlamps are Lithium based lights over 60$.

The energy density of Lithium can't be matched by alkaline or NIMH.
The higher voltage of a single lithium cell, can mean a lot more potential light output.
The higher energy density means a lot more light potential, for a lot longer.

I've heard great things about Fenix, Zebralight and armytek, as well as Acebeam, but only have experience with the nitecore HC-50 which failed after a few years, and the Olight H2R, and these blow away my former Eneloop powered warehouse store bought lights I had previously. Different league.
I can vouch for Fenix headlamps as I've had a few. My newest one, likely last I'll ever need, is their HM65R. Is magnesium bodied for lighter weight, offers on board charging, has by far the most comfortable headband I've ever used for any light and it has flood and spot beams for any possible use. As with any quality headlamp it's not cheap, but it clicks all the boxes for my intended use and exceeds my expectations based on other types/brands I've used.

I've a number of headlamps over the years... the latest one are Fenix, I first bought the HL50 (single AA) and only upgraded to the HM50R as it would go thru batteries with some frequency. It didn't hurt the rechargeable one is also brighter.

Main use is walk with dog at night and working outside after dark. In the shop, I don't find a headlight useful... since where you need light isn't always in-line where your heads point. For the shop, I stick with Astro 40SL, 52SL and hopefully soon the 80SL.

Thank you for all of the recommendations. I will review and make a decision. I guess I am surprised that there is not a clear consensus on one make/model being the clear winner, but there are many good choices to fit varying needs.

Reactions: JC1
I use the Fenix HM50R. Mainly because it is so small and the best headlamp money can buy for the size, at least in terms of reliability, power, and longevity of the charge. Their larger ones are just as good, but weight more and are more bulky. Beside color rendering quality, Fenix is about as good as you can buy for the money. Impeccable craftsmanship and incredibly water resistant. They also have a high charging rate on the models with built-in USB charging.

Another huge bonus for some of the Fenix lights is that the large button on the side can be easily pressed with gloves on or with the palm of your hand. If you have grease on your finger tips, it can still be adjusted and turned on and off by pressing both palms against the sides and squeezing. Many other headlamps fail miserably when trying to press the button.

BUT, for automotive work, especially when doing electrical jobs, I think having a high CRI (color rendering index) is critical. Many of the bright LED headlamps have a pretty poor CRI for differentiating colors. In that case, you have to either mod the headlamp with a higher CRI diode or buy a model with higher CRI.

Armytek has some mixed reviews but my Wizard Pro has be phenomenal for me. Bright, efficient, good runtime, durable, excellent beam pattern for everything from detail work up close to car repairs to hiking. Good tint and CRI, as well (XHP50 warm/neutral white). If I was to replace it at this time I'd look strongly at the Nichia version or possible a Zebralight.

Many other excellent options out there. Some have mentioned Fenix which is definitely quality (I don't like the cool white low CRI emitters they stay with, though). Also, Acebeam is very good quality with a couple of good options including some high CRI models.

Back