HDEO OIL IN YAMAHA OUTBOARD & 4 STROKE SEA DOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me apologize for my question as I am sure it has been beat to death in the past.
I am new to outboard & Sea Doo maintenance as I only know about cars and motorcycles.

So any way, here goes....

Is it OK to use a good quality HDEO such as Rotella T 15w-40 or even the T6 5w-40 in place of the Yamalube in the outboard (F115, fuel injected & 100+ hrs) and BRP oil in the 4 stroke Sea Doo (90+ hrs and non-supercharged)?
Both get about 20-30 hrs a year usage.

It would be great to be able to use the same oil in both and be able to do oil changes for less than than $40 compared to the $90 now.

I am active on a couple of motorcycle forums and a lot of riders have used the 15w-40 for years and a few have started using the new T6 full synth 5w-40.
I have used the T6 5w-40 in my Honda VTX 1300 for the last 8,000 miles or so myself.

Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks.

I would get a virgin oil analysis done on the factory lubes and then use those results to find suitable replacements.

Does the owners manual list a API or JASO requirement of the oil?

I think there was a VOA done on yamalube and it wasnt anything special, kinda like polaris oil.

Personally I would use T6 in both and sleep easy.

my .02

Yamaha states to use oil in API grade SE thru SL.
They do not have 5w-40 listed but they do show that you can use 5w-30.
I don't know about Sea Doo.

Cold starts will not be an issue on either machine.

Sea Doo's "new" summer blend oil is 5w-40.
Which makes me think that the T6 5w-40 would be ok.

I know it's only a once a year OCI on both, but I just hate to spend twice as much on the manufacturer's oil and it would be great to be able to use the same oil in both.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I inquired about the BRP oils a while back and the response was that they were nothing special. The previous 5W40 synthetic was thought to be similar to Castrol Syntec VW 502 oil. Don't know about the previous conventional 10W40 or today's 5W40 blend.

SeaDoo dealers sure try to put the fear of god warnings about using other oils. These motors are scary expensive to replace. An HDEO is likely fine but peace of mind isn't very expensive vs buying one of these engines.

I've been running Rotella 5-40 in my Sea Doo for the last 5 years.
It gets 15 to 20 hours a years. I change it every other year. Uses no oil. I did UOA using the same oil on my Yamaha and the oil was fine after 2 seasons.

Originally Posted By: dr2152
I've been running Rotella 5-40 in my Sea Doo for the last 5 years.
It gets 15 to 20 hours a years. I change it every other year. Uses no oil. I did UOA using the same oil on my Yamaha and the oil was fine after 2 seasons.

I think I'll go with the T6 5w-40 in the Sea Doo and stick with the Yamalube in the outboard, that's a $10,000 engine.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back