Hawker Chan- a Michelin Star'd meal for $1.50 USD

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
saw this Singaporean restaurant on a food channel, discussing how it is Michelin rated "street food". Low and behold, there is one in Bangkok. Chicken was the moistest chicken I ever had. Glad I got to try this restaurant was very unique- guess I like western chicken though. If one is ever bored, I recommend watching a video about this place, a great story on how his chicken recipe is generations old.

The restaurant became famous for a Michelin star meal for $1.50 USD

PXL_20221022_043152662.jpg
PXL_20221022_043529008.jpg
PXL_20221022_043532191.jpg

I don't think that's the same experience you'd get in a 3 star Michelin restaurant. I do love Singapore, one of my favorite destinations.

I don't think that's the same experience you'd get in a 3 star Michelin restaurant. I do love Singapore.
I suspect you are very right. I am not a fan of Michelin star type meals (even this one), so I can't comment on the Michelin experience.

This is my kind of chicken:
195207371_GRILLED-CHICKEN-1-1_t800.jpg

The thing I understand about Singapore is that they don't really allow "street food" per se. No street carts or even outdoor markets like you'd see in other parts of Asia since they banned those starting in the 1970s in favor of hawker centers where everything has to be sold indoors. I've heard some decry it as taking away the fun of that style of dining. I suppose some of it could be rather unsanitary, but I've seen actual street food being fairly well regulated with health dept inspections and everything.

Reactions: GON
The thing I understand about Singapore is that they don't really allow "street food" per se. No street carts or even outdoor markets like you'd see in other parts of Asia since they banned those starting in the 1970s in favor of hawker centers where everything has to be sold indoors. I've heard some decry it as taking away the fun of that style of dining. I suppose some of it could be rather unsanitary, but I've seen actual street food being fairly well regulated with health dept inspections and everything.
Singapore's success as a young nation is pretty fascinating. I work with some Singaporing counterparts, and they are all top-shelf professionals. I suspect anything that is not clean and orderly is counter to what has made Singapore so successful.

Singapore's success as a young nation is pretty fascinating. I work with some Singaporing counterparts, and they are all top-shelf professionals. I suspect anything that is not clean and orderly is counter to what has made Singapore so successful.
I hope you had a good beer with that meal. My mouth hasn’t stopped salivating

I haven't been to Singapore, but I have been to other parts of Asia where night markets are probably more common than street carts. I don't even think food trucks are a big thing in Asia. But that everything has to be sold indoors does kind of take the fun out of it. I do love a good outdoors night market.

I hope you had a good beer with that meal. My mouth hasn’t stopped salivating
I haven't had a adult beverage since arriving in Thailand- and the hotel I am staying at offers free adult beverages. Lots going on, to include I have no clothes except what is on my body- so I am avoiding adult beverages.

On a good note- my luggage was reported to have left Vancouver (YVR) airport yesterday. Looks like the luggage just sat at the airport for five days. Times are changing overall- how could properly tagged luggage just sit for five days at an airport. I suspect the airline contracts the baggage handling, and simply nobody cares.... I think this is the trend for many things at this time. But I am super glad to have the luggage later today (it is Sunday right now in Thailand). Cathay Pacific is where the luggage was stalled, but the luggage originated on Alaska Air, so I sent them a note to their baggage service. The response back from Alaska's baggage service (not kidding):

"Thank you for contacting The Central Baggage Service Department. We have received your message and are committed to responding as soon as possible, in the order received. Some issues require a more thorough review and currently may take up to 30 days for response."

I did buy a suit, dress shoes, shirt, etc yesterday, not good stuff buy need to be properly dressed tomorrow. Fifteen hundred dollars for not so good stuff that I will never use again.... oh well...... I just need to suck it up.....

I haven't had a adult beverage since arriving in Thailand- and the hotel I am staying at offers free adult beverages. Lots going on, to include I have no clothes except what is on my body- so I am avoiding adult beverages.

On a good note- my luggage was reported to have left Vancouver (YVR) airport yesterday. Looks like the luggage just sat at the airport for five days. Times are changing overall- how could properly tagged luggage just sit for five days at an airport. I suspect the airline contracts the baggage handling, and simply nobody cares.... I think this is the trend for many things at this time. But I am super glad to have the luggage later today (it is Sunday right now in Thailand). Cathay Pacific is where the luggage was stalled, but the luggage originated on Alaska Air, so I sent them a note to their baggage service. The response back from Alaska's baggage service (not kidding):

"Thank you for contacting The Central Baggage Service Department. We have received your message and are committed to responding as soon as possible, in the order received. Some issues require a more thorough review and currently may take up to 30 days for response."

I did buy a suit, dress shoes, shirt, etc yesterday, not good stuff buy need to be properly dressed tomorrow. Fifteen hundred dollars for not so good stuff that I will never use again.... oh well...... I just need to suck it up.....

I’m sorry to hear this GON. I hope the rest of your trip goes better.

Reactions: GON
Chicken looks good for $1.50. Did you book your travel with a credit card? Some cards reimburse you for clothes bought when your luggage is late/lost.

I’m sorry to hear this GON. I hope the rest of your trip goes better.
53S,

Appreciate the kind words- all is well.

The last time this happened to me was 1999 at MT Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania. KLM flight landed at 2am from Amsterdam. No luggage. At the time, KLM only had a weekly flight to Tanzania. I had to buy clothes on the economy. Every single item of clothing that was able to purchase was super funky and labeled "irregular" and was likely made about 20 years earlier. I guess in the late 1990s, that was the types of clothing products that were only available in Tanzania.

I looked like quite the "wild and crazy guy" in Tanzania for about nine days.

two-wild-and-crazy-guys.jpg

Chicken looks good for $1.50. Did you book your travel with a credit card? Some cards reimburse you for clothes bought when your luggage is late/lost.
RH,

Yes, I did- great suggestion I need to look into.

Chicken was amazing at that price point. I think it was a bit more than $1.50USD in Thailand, but it was so very moist. Great to have "fast food" so well prepared. Not my favorite chicken but thrilled at the quality and value the restaurant was providing.

Last edited:
Back