Havoline Black Already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So upon doing some routine maintenance on my Jeep 4.0l last night, I decided to check the dipstick.

The oil was completely black (no suprise, I guess) but what concerns me is that I changed this oil only about 1200 miles ago.

Whenever I used PP or Valvoline before, it would stay golden color until about 3000 or 4000 miles. This last OCI it was Havoline Synthetic, that I bought last year from BigLots.

Should I be concerned & change it right now? I know black is a good sign...meaning the oil is doing its job. I just wasn't expecting it so soon with this brand.

GL

Originally Posted By: Greg L
So upon doing some routine maintenance on my Jeep 4.0l last night, I decided to check the dipstick.

The oil was completely black (no suprise, I guess) but what concerns me is that I changed this oil only about 1200 miles ago.

Whenever I used PP or Valvoline before, it would stay golden color until about 3000 or 4000 miles. This last OCI it was Havoline Synthetic, that I bought last year from BigLots.

Should I be concerned & change it right now? I know black is a good sign...meaning the oil is doing its job. I just wasn't expecting it so soon with this brand.

GL

When in dout...get a uoa done and dont change it out. I suck at rhymes.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
What does a UOA normally cost?

$32.50 with TBN. or $22.50 W/O from Blackstone

i am using it now with castrol startup (buck a quart at pep boys)...looks good to me...i bet it is fine

I've run Havoline in both my 2.5L YJ and 4.0L XJ and neither turned black. Regardless, oil color is not an indication of it's condition. Run it to 3K and change it out if you feel the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back