Have you ever been passed up for a promotion because you asked for too much money ?

I learned not to really be allegiant to any employer. If you get skipped on a promotion, just promote yourself by walking to a new job with a higher pay.

I did it three times within the past ten years, while my colleages took 3 percent merit raises, I doubled my salary.

Actually, no. Internal promotions can be very stringent from a salary standpoint.
We are like this - it’s a salary range - the promotion is partly about more responsibility or even the first time you have non contractor personnel as direct reports. From there - how fast you move to the right within that range - or even enter a higher range is mainly about the ranking process … The higher ranks will also be awarded some extra company stock …
The salary ranges will be updated by market basket analysis (similar) to retain key people …
I‘m perfectly happy with compensation - but really don’t like the software package 👀

We are like this - it’s a salary range - the promotion is partly about more responsibility or even the first time you have non contractor personnel as direct reports. From there - how fast you move to the right within that range - or even enter a higher range is mainly about the ranking process … The higher ranks will also be awarded some extra company stock …
The salary ranges will be updated by market basket analysis (similar) to retain key people …
I‘m perfectly happy with compensation - but really don’t like the software package 👀
Many of the larger Fortune 500 shops will move an employee to midpoint over time. But once you midpoint, that is usually where it ends - merit increases become minimal and the incentive is for you to move to the next payband.

Self inflicted? Throughout my work life I was happy for a promotion and the raise attached. Never thought to negotiate for more. Old thinking.
Or is it? Obviously, the "new thinking" didn't work out well here.

Many of the larger Fortune 500 shops will move an employee to midpoint over time. But once you midpoint, that is usually where it ends - merit increases become minimal and the incentive is for you to move to the next payband.
Yeah - one of my guys got to feeling frisky over his ranking - so I reminded him the tougher brackets lie ahead …

One piece of advice my dad gave me is take what you can get. If they ask you how much you want say well what will you give me. Don’t list an amount because you maybe getting less that way or may not get what you want because you asked for too much. So it could go either way. You could always ask for a raise once the right time comes.
Your dad understands negiotiating, NEVER be the person that says a number first. You never know what number the other person has in their head.

I think that's what they called the "terminal level". Which means you can stay at that level till retirement instead of getting promoted within a time limit or getting fired.

I think that's what they called the "terminal level". Which means you can stay at that level till retirement instead of getting promoted within a time limit or getting fired.
No, everyone is at that level in a grade after 2-3 years.

I learned not to really be allegiant to any employer. If you get skipped on a promotion, just promote yourself by walking to a new job with a higher pay.

I did it three times within the past ten years, while my colleages took 3 percent merit raises, I doubled my salary.

Yep, that’s the exact advice I gave to the person that didn’t get promoted.

One piece of advice my dad gave me is take what you can get. If they ask you how much you want say well what will you give me. Don’t list an amount because you maybe getting less that way or may not get what you want because you asked for too much. So it could go either way. You could always ask for a raise once the right time comes.

I've filled out more than a few job applications where "Expected salary" or equivalent wording was a required field. By required I mean that the application wouldn't let you proceed/submit unless you put a number in there.

In every case I've found the closest equivalents on Glassdoor and plugged something toward the higher range of what I've found, but it's awfully difficult to say "don't name a number" when you quite literally can't even apply for the job without inputting one.

I got passed for a promotion because its too hard to backfill my position. But I got a healthy raise as consolation...

I can almost guarantee I'm the highest paid in the area for my position.

Back