Have you ever been passed up for a promotion because you asked for too much money ?

Have you ever been passed up for a promotion because you asked for too much money ?

I have a friend that was upset because he was the best candidate for a promotion…... but didn’t get the job because he wanted too much money. Boss promoted less knowledgeable person for less money.

Reactions: JC1
There's probably a little more to the story. Were they considering multiple internal candidates and one of the candidates was significantly less expensive due to their mostly internal career history? If so, that is very possible.

I never saw a promotion increase that is "you ask for too much so you get nothing", I've only seen hiring with that kind of "this is all we can offer" negotiation.

I think the likely scenario is the guy pissed off the management (or threaten for a promotion or will quit) so they changed their minds. I've seen that happen a lot. There is usually no way to recover from this and the guy usually leave in the end.

My guess is there is more to the story. Did he get offered the position and then have it rescinded due to money? Usually internal promotions (and most external hires also) they offer you the job, and then you dicker over money. I was a hiring manager for 3 different companies - one was a fortune 500, one mid sized, one small. Hired and promoted lots of people and the money part did come into play but it was just about the last item - and if there was a dispute it usually ended with a take it or leave it offer that was up to the person being offered the position.

Boss's promote less knowledgeable people all the time.

Sometimes people think there the most knowledgeable when there not. Ego's get in the way often as well. Or the other person knows the right people further up, or whatever.

FWIW I successfully negotiated raises for "promotions" in companies where that was supposedly not allowed, but I didn't want the job - as in "we really need you to take over X", and I was like - no, that's a flippin mess, happy where I am at thanks. The money part started from there. Also, both times - it was NOT worth the money.

Last edited:
One piece of advice my dad gave me is take what you can get. If they ask you how much you want say well what will you give me. Don’t list an amount because you maybe getting less that way or may not get what you want because you asked for too much. So it could go either way. You could always ask for a raise once the right time comes.

Reactions: JC1
One piece of advice my dad gave me is take what you can get. If they ask you how much you want say well what will you give me. Don’t list an amount because you maybe getting less that way or may not get what you want because you asked for too much. So it could go either way. You could always ask for a raise once the right time comes.

Are you sure you're not 61?

Are you sure you're not 61?
Right!? :ROFLMAO:

The rest of Gen-Z would ask for tons of money, not get it, but move to another company and get it.

I don't have the cojones to do that. Plus I love the company and team I work for/with too much to leave right now. The pay is fair.

Companies are wising up, just sat in meetings all day today discussing how we need to increase salary, offer hybrid work and shorten the interview process. We're losing out to competitors that are moving quicker than us and offering higher compensation. I'm about to put in for another off cycle increase for someone on my team I suspect could be a flight risk and difficult to replace.

Right!? :ROFLMAO:

The rest of Gen-Z would ask for tons of money, not get it, but move to another company and get it.

I don't have the cojones to do that. Plus I love the company and team I work for/with too much to leave right now. The pay is fair.

I've never asked for anything crazy/out of line raise wise, But rarely ever got anything through these channels. They (management) would always 100% LIE to my face for the reasoning every time......Which causes me to run-off at the mouth & people don't like to be called liars even though they are. Tell me the truth for crying out loud.....You DON'T want to!!!

**I always loved the line....."You make more money than me".....Let's see the W2?......"You know we don't discuss what other employees make"......Um, We just were & you know exactly what I made last year? Then it's all a bunch of BS, Back & Forth & in circles.

That's why I bounced around a lot, I always got a raise by changing employment. I stayed at a Hot Rod Shop for 15 years because I was making 50% of the "Door labor rate" which is the absolute maximum for a flat rate mechanic. This allowed me to get a raise every time the shop labor rate went up. One reason why shops don't pay on percentage anymore.

I've never asked for anything crazy/out of line raise wise, But rarely ever got anything through these channels. They (management) would always 100% LIE to my face for the reasoning every time......Which causes me to run-off at the mouth & people don't like to be called liars even though they are. Tell me the truth for crying out loud.....You DON'T want to!!!

**I always loved the line....."You make more money than me".....Let's see the W2?......"You know we don't discuss what other employees make"......Um, We just were & you know exactly what I made last year? Then it's all a bunch of BS, Back & Forth & in circles.

That's why I bounced around a lot, I always got a raise by changing employment. I stayed at a Hot Rod Shop for 15 years because I was making 50% of the "Door labor rate" which is the absolute maximum for a flat rate mechanic. This allowed me to get a raise every time the shop labor rate went up. One reason why shops don't pay on percentage anymore.
The company I work for has an actual team of people in HR that are dedicated Compensation Analysts. But their numbers are always at the lower end of the pay range. Just throwing out random numbers here, if a job title has a pay range of $60k-$75k, it seems most likely their offer is probably gonna come in at around $62k. Very little negotiation they'll do. Just the way it is here.

But boy let me tell you about our amazing quarterly profits we've been making :ROFLMAO:

The company I work for has an actual team of people in HR that are dedicated Compensation Analysts. But their numbers are always at the lower end of the pay range. Just throwing out random numbers here, if a job title has a pay range of $60k-$75k, it seems most likely their offer is probably gonna come in at around $62k. Very little negotiation they'll do. Just the way it is here.

But boy let me tell you about our amazing quarterly profits we've been making :ROFLMAO:
Our HR did that, and our team lost 3/4 of the people so far in the last 2 years. Now they have to pull money from somewhere to pay people enough to slow down the exodus.

All our hourly employees are on a “public” (to employees) pay scale that goes up yearly till you max out or move to a position that goes higher. It is what it is, you’re not getting a promotion outside of that. They do occasionally adjust the entire pay scale though.

Most of the time it's because management hasn't a clue about their employees knowledge base or their quantity of production. They only see $$$. Or maybe the other guy is a rat, some managers don't care if you know nothing as long as you're willing to rat out coworkers for stupid things.
Or the employee who was passed over overestimates the impact of the skills/experience gap. IJS.

Back