Have you been to Switzerland?

Thoughts?
Could you live there?
No Politics please
Yes I been there.
Their German is very difficult to understand, especially in the countryside, even if you are a highly fluent speaker (as I am).
In the big urban centers their German is not quite so far "dialektisch".
But they do all understand standard german 100% since they read/write in High German.

In comparison Austrian German is easier and closer to High German ( tho also not easy for those who learned it as a 2nd language).
if you already speak german and are confident to communicate there , make sure your german is very good, very fluent, to give you a chance to keep up with their difficult dialect.
If you are a beginner in German, no chance to keep up with their speech (but most of them can switch to speaking closer to High german if they want to)

Swiss French spoken in the extreme west of the country around lake Geneva, is basically standard French though, so if you speak decent French thats were you want to be.

Otherwise the country is a more expensive version of Austria (where I have also been).
Incidentally sometimes urban Swiss go to Austria to vacation.. presumably for offering comparable ski slopes and landscapes at lower prices while still being German speaking.
I see a lot of Swiss license plates when vacationing in Austria, especially West Austria.

Just like Austria not inherently a very welcoming country to foreigners if you want to live/work there, unless you are well dressed and/or drive a nice car and hold a professional job.
Then you'll see some respect/acceptance.

If you are younger/poorer and looking at emigrating for a menial job; Swiss girls wont even look at you, no matter how ripped you are.

Last edited:
Thoughts?
Could you live there?
No Politics please

Yes and yes. In fact if I could live anywhere, it could very well be my choice.

My wife and I spent ten days there in 2017 just driving around the Alps. We were also there in 2008 but only for a short time. The place is impossibly beautiful and the way of life is very calm.

Many many times, every year for decades a couple of times a year for 2 weeks riding the alpine passes and touring the country by motorcycle.
They are the very friendly people and always welcoming, good food and my kind of climate. I wanted to live there but being a non EU country
it would be very difficult then (no idea about now) requiring a large deposit in the Swiss bank for a start.
I did meet Roger Moore twice in the early 90's there and crossed the original Chapel bridge before it burned down and rebuilt in 93.

I went there four years ago. It was nice but very expensive. The one thing I was shocked by was all the foreign looking people in Zurich. I read that 1/3 of the population is first generation Swiss and 1/4 are resident aliens. I guess I was expecting Heidi with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Difficult to obtain residency let alone citizenship.
Taxes are high but surprise they're high because they don't liberally use the sovereign credit card.

Swiss govt debt per capita $33k (38% GDP) 2019
US govt debt per capita $84k (134% GDP) 2020

Taxes are lower in the US simply out of convenience.

Yes I been there.
Their German is very difficult to understand, especially in the countryside, even if you are a highly fluent speaker (as I am).
But they do all understand standard german 100% since they read/write in High German.

In comparison Austrian German is easier and closer to High German ( tho also not easy for those who learned it as a 2nd language).
if you already speak german and are confident to communicate there , make sure your german is very good, very fluent, to give you a chance to keep up with their difficult dialect.
If you are a beginner in German, no chance to keep up with their speech (but most of them can switch to speaking closer to High german if they want to)

Swiss French spoken in the extreme west of the country around lake Geneva, is basically standard French though, so if you speak decent French thats were you want to be.

Otherwise the country is a more expensive version of Austria (where I have also been).
Incidentally sometimes urban Swiss go to Austria to vacation.. presumably for offering comparable ski slopes and landscapes at lower prices while still being German speaking.
I see a lot of Swiss license plates when vacationing in Austria, especially West Austria.

Just like Austria not inherently a very welcoming country to foreigners if you want to live/work there, unless you are well dressed and/or drive a nice car and hold a professional job.

If you are younger/poorer and looking at emigrating for a menial job; Swiss girls wont even look at you, no matter how ripped you are.
Tirol area is beautiful. I like Austria in general.

Very often, going skiing at 4 Valles / Nendaz / Verbier. Heaven on earth. Beautifull weather, empty slopes, biggest ski resort in Switzerland, breathtaking landscape. Friendly People, a bunch of skiers from England and the rest of Europe. Great times.

Skiing is only a liltle bit more expensiive compared to Austria, but well worth. Cost of Food, eating in Restaurant, visiting a bar is higher compared to Germany.

What i realy dont like is their obession with "Speeding" and their really high fees if you get a ticket for speeding. While tickets are to cheap in Germany, they are to costly in Switzerlend. Makes me feel uncomfortable when driving there.
Yes I been there.

Das hast du sehr gut beschrieben.

Even as a native german, i sometimes have a hard time to understand some "Slangs".

How coincidental this question is. I've been there several times as part of a "Eurail Pass" (rail) vacations. Those passes are called BritPass for the UK.
I was at a Phashing (sp.) party and while chatting with a local I said, "I could live here". He replied, "Think twice before moving here".
I can agree with the civility of the folk there and everything is novel and new when you're traveling. I have no idea how their 'daily grind' feels.

The only 'real' thing I ever did in a foreign country was to investigate and establish a course of action for the acquisition of funding for the rehabilitation of a building in Ilford (part of London).

Enjoy....

Attachments

• P1030396(1).JPG
    P1030396(1).JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030390(1).JPG
    P1030390(1).JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030400(1).JPG
    P1030400(1).JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030411(1).JPG
    P1030411(1).JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030454(1).JPG
    P1030454(1).JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030466(1).JPG
    P1030466(1).JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030474(1).JPG
    P1030474(1).JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030501(1).JPG
    P1030501(1).JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030535(1).JPG
    P1030535(1).JPG
    346 KB · Views: 2
  • P1030538(1).JPG
    P1030538(1).JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 2
Not yet but it's on my list, along with Austria, Italy, Croatia, France... I think Italy will be next on my list for whenever I get to Europe again. I enjoyed visiting Germany last year. I could easily live in Europe pretty much anywhere, the culture is different but not necessarily in a bad way.

Mandatory military service makes some interesting sights. I remember seeing highly attractive late teen girls with fully automatic rifles patrolling the airport. Made me look twice...

Das hast du sehr gut beschrieben.

Even as a native german, i sometimes have a hard time to understand some "Slangs".
I habe for 30 Jahren in Berlin Abitur gemacht, Leistungsfaecher Deutsch + Chemie.
Deshalb ist mein Wortschatz auch als Ami relativ gross.
Ich glaube ein guter Wortschatz besonders bei archaischen Begriffen hilft Dialekte, oder manchmal auch linguistisch "benachbarte" Sprachen, zu verstehen.

Wo denn nun die Kommas gesetzt werden, damit habe ich mich allerdings immer schwer getan.

Back