Hate Windows Rant- Unable to open photos _ now able to again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, great to read all the replies. Honestly, being this is a forum and my posts are sometimes a bit controversial ///
Well, expected a few to tell me I was crazy and Win10 is a trouble free OS.
*L*

Its why I posted I have been computing for DECADES, since Win 95 and pretty good with the hardware but in those days we would swap out hardrives, motherboards ect.
(guess I am sounding old)

Again, we never have less then 3 actively running desk tops, 2 laptops, various combination of ipad and galaxy notepads ect.

Now that I said that I am not embarrassed to say my wife has a 8 year old emachine, bought at a time when emachine was stepping up its game with slightly higher specs.
So you know, to this day, that darn computer is less trouble prone then any other we have ever had. Not fast to boot up ect, of course, its even running Win10.
Not that at times updates didnt screw that one up either.
Its not her main computer and why no need to upgrade, its her shopping computer, she has a very new/ late model Dell Business Desk Top supplied by her company also in our house.

Oh well, this ends my rant. I guess its jsut not Apples business model to compete in the lower end market. Gosh just a while ago you could get a "mini" at a halfway decent price.
Maybe someday linux will tempt me, dont know ...

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Maybe someday linux will tempt me, dont know ...

When you eventually research what Linux is and why it is, how it works and why; and perhaps after re-reading all of your posts from the "Why privacy matters" thread you are going to kick yourself for missing out on this match made in heaven.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Linux

You can choose your hardware cost/ performance.

Safe, secure, private, reliable, simple, easy and well-supported. And you are no one's cash cow.

I found Linux to be extremely useful and easy to set up and use. Win 10 can be a royal PITA to set up and is very intrusive if you install it and allow all the default settings. I use both Linux Cinnamon and Win 10 Pro, I use Linux about 90% of the time now.

To both the Linux posts above.
I am now entering a more sane period on my life, been CRAZY busy with work for the last couple years and now, finally can sit back and catch up on everything.
When time I do plan on trying Lynx.

In my new found lifestyle of less work and more enjoyment I also have decades of digital photos to organize, double check I have photos on the two consumer desktops backed up on the two back up drives I have before wiping the drives.

I have three pretty good desktops unused/retired from Windows Service, never an issue with any but getting old, (2 consumer models and 1 business) 1- HP with Pentium 4, 1- Lenovo with AMD A-4 and one pretty darn recent Dell Optiplex with Win7 and Intel I5.

None of these computers are used anymore, and ready to throw them away and why I want to set up one with linux.
I ASSUME Cinnamon is the best and most easy? I am looking for EASY and SECURE.
I have posted many times on this subject and hoping soon to have the time to finally do it.

One of the two posts above are correct. It makes me SICK that people lay down/roll over and accept google and everyone else building digital files on themselves, their spouses and their CHILDREN to follow them around wherever they go on everything they do including physiological profiling that then gets put on for sale to the highest bidder in the world. This information is then used to sell you stuff, it can even make you want to buy stuff and you dont know why you are buying it.
Scariest of all is will they use this for other purposes. Voting etc.

Drives me nuts*LOL* people allowing their personal information to be prostituted as long as an "app" is "free" like gmail or ANYTHING google, as well as the others.
Why on earth do people not care? It amazes me, we are raising a generation that will be open to exploitation and not realize it until its too late, possibly.
Whats more is in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave is the technology companies google etc, seem to have already corrupted our system?
Why is Europe way ahead of us in protecting our privacy in the digital age?

Last edited:
None of these computers are used anymore, and ready to throw them away and why I want to set up one with linux.
I ASSUME Cinnamon is the best and most easy? I am looking for EASY and SECURE.

I saw this this morning and thought of this and other threads here:

[Linked Image]

In Linux land, you are bound to nothing; and that includes the Graphical User Interface (GUI from now on). The GUI is everything you see on your screen and everything you click on. Linux, having no one central authority in charge of anything, has many different independently-developed GUI's floating around for your choice to use. Many of these bundle basic applications with the graphical base and call themselves a "Desktop Environment". Cinnamon is a Desktop Environment.

Groups of people - sometimes corporate entities, universities, governments or enthusiasts - will take a Desktop Environment and bundle it together with a whole bunch of other software to make a complete Operating System; in Linux land this is called a Distribution, or "distro" for short. Some distro's are meant for desktop users, others for web servers, others for scientific research, others for security... These groups can fashion their distro however they want: There are no rules. In fact, most of these distro's are made by people who simply take an existing distro and modify it to their liking. There are no real restrictions, either. All of this stuff exists for the *benefit* of the user. All of the source code is open to the public to ensure that security holes are found and patched immediately and transparently; and that there is zero possibility of greasy privacy-diminishing "back doors" or any other such nefarious trickery going on. This software is "free" both as in "no cost" and as in "freedom".

What most folks do, then, is start off with one of a small handful of reliable, well-supported, well-tested disro's that offer all of the software you'll ever need and a massive support community. I would suggest, and I believe most Linux users around here would agree, that Ubuntu or the Ubuntu-derivative Linux Mint (whose featured Desktop Environment is Cinnamon) are easily-installed, ready to rock out of the gate, have collections of pre-tested software (called "repositories" or "repo's" for short) that are massive and sport excellent hardware support and community support.

I've walked a substantial number of BITOG'ers through setup of Ubuntu and Mint installations through teh years; so feel free to PM me if/ when you'd like to take a kick at the can. It should be noted that almost all distro's offer "live media" that will enable you to "install" the Operating System on a USB drive and bot directly from it. You can use this live media to test the OS and acclimatize yourself to it; and to even use it day-to-day if your needs are extremely spartan.

Ubuntu info: https://ubuntu.com/desktop
Ubuntu download: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?country=CA&version=18.04.3&architecture=amd64
(This will automatically start the download the a .iso file. Google how to transfer this file to a USB drive in Windows - likely simply the use of a small piece of software to transfer it and make the disk "bootable". Once booted you can play around and even install it right from there if you want.)

Linux Mint info: https://linuxmint.com/
(This is their home page, from which you can examine their different Editions. Cinnamon is their marquee but they also have versions meant for older hardware.)

Last edited:
Linux Mint and Ubuntu are pretty easy to use. If your laptop is a bit older, I've been running PeppermintOS (based on Ubuntu) on an old netbook with 2GB of RAM. Works well without using lots of resources and it's easy to use. http://peppermintos.com

If you have certain types of laptops, and feel comfortable with BIOS flashing(or using a EEPROM programmer and a SOIC clip to flash a SecureCore UEFI BIOS like new laptops have on them) and modifying system files, you can turn one into a Hackintosh. I have a old Lenovo X220 that's turned into a HackBook with MacOS X Sierra on it. You will need the hacked/unwhitelisted BIOS to run an non-OEM wireless card on most laptops. While ChromeOS and Linux play nice with Intel cards, MacOS won't work with Intel wifi.

I just installed ChromeOS onto a T440s. I still use my now 6 year old MacBook Pro, Hackintoshes are fun but a real Mac works as expected. I use the Mac for coding and 'nix work, and my other laptops(the T440s with Chrome and T450s with W10 Pro) to muck around with.

I've seen that Windows base app issue happen before, try this to fix it - you MUST run Powershell as an admin to do this:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2167894-reinstall-windows-photos-app

uc50ic4more - Thank you for your offer. I may take you up on that some day. I have a lot of time off right now but a long list of things I must get done first *L* Like weeks.
If I ever get a nice stormy day I may fire up one of the mentioned computers and install.

Thanks again for all the other comments.
I do need to restate. Linux will be installed on a desktop not laptop.

We do use laptops in our home and on vacation, as well as tablets from Samsung and Apple. With that said we also have an office in our home, well set up with 2 desks and we (wife and I) much prefer working on desktops. Laptops etc we use for less intensive stuff when laying around the home.

Last edited:
That issue popped up on a few of my users's PCs and I had to completely reformat them before M$ came out with an official fix. The latest quarterly update screwed up a bunch of our desktop's DNS settings too. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Pew
That issue popped up on a few of my users's PCs and I had to completely reformat them before M$ came out with an official fix. The latest quarterly update screwed up a bunch of our desktop's DNS settings too. Unbelievable.

Just amazing isn't it?
I wish Windows would come out with a Windows 'lite" all this garbage along with updates all the time drives me nuts.
Linux very well maybe the way to go when I have the time to start "all over" setting up a system.
I do use a program called Windows Update Stop which prevents automatic updates, but for security reasons I do turn on auto update now and then and let it update, which, like the last update messed up downloading photos from my Nikon camera AND preventing photos of all types to be opened .

The next update solved the camera and photo issue. Thank god that update took only a few days to clear up. Because like you I was thinking of re-installing Windows.
Its time almost for me to turn off the auto update again and wait another 6 months. maybe by doing this, by the time I allow the updates, it already has a fix for whatever those updates screw up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican
CRAP!

Once again Windows 10 lets me down. After DECADES of computing, I only wish I went to Apple YEARS AGO.

If freaking APPLE wasnt so darn expensive for desktops I would get one. Price is just insane 300% more for the same as I have in Windows. I dont mind paying for for a better product but .. you know??? 300% ??

Even that simple little Apple Mini for $1200 or so dollars? REALLY? It doesnt include keyboard and Mouse? *L*
Its that or an "All In one" and I hate the idea of an all in one.

Went to Apple iMac 2 or 3 years ago after the umpteenth W10 screw-up and never regretted it. Still run W10 on a laptop because of a program that doesn't work with Apple, but that's the only reason! Apple is more money, but they are better built and will outlast a PC 5 to 1 so in the end it may prove cheaper, plus the Apple support you get is umbelievable, not that I need it much
smile.gif

This will be the next subject, maybe I should just start a new thread, thank you.
I am interested in trying Linux BUT the Mac Mini is was started me posting, simply because I am sick of Windows.

Anyway, just this morning, I started rethinking the Mac Mini again, when I started this thread I was shocked by the price, but, I have all this extra credit card cash back to waste, I always just let it accumulate for something that I dont need but would be fun to have and the Mini seems like a place to spend it on.
I do want to know the in's and outs of OS though.

I am not the biggest fan of Linux, but my 83 year-old Mom has been using Debian 9 for over 2 years now. It is so called old-stable branch (Debian 9.9.10 as of this time). Just shows you that even not so flashy variant of Linux is easy to use nowadays. If you decide to try this one, look for Debian 10 non-free CD linked right here - the link may change over time

The link above for Debian is not working.
Here is the link to the official Debian website download page:

Download Debian

I am using Debian stable, it works very well but it is not the easiest to set up. For a beginner I would recommend Mint Linux.
I would certainly give Linux a try before spending a lot of money on Apple products.

Thank you for pointing this out: of course, the version 10 has changed to 10.1.0 and that's why the link was dead.
Here it is now, so you could see the tree structure better:

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/u...re/10.1.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

For my tastes the extras version is extremely easy to use, I just prefer the old-stable branch as the so called stable is still too buggy.
I am coming from the real UNIX world, hence my prejudice. The old-stable is going to be good for another couple of years, and this is where I'd roll into the more mature stable.
The non-free version with extra software is the easier one to use for a beginner, and this is where all those ubuntus and mints put their custom lipstick on top of the base.
Mint also has LDBE, Debian based edition, but it is a rolling buggy edition with a nice UI. They change their code base model every few years though, making a stable and steady use impossible for me.
Mint is too dependent on one person, and Ubuntu on one company. Debian with all its infantile crowd is far more continuous project in the long run.
SuSE has some interesting choices, but is too dependent on the upstream company and its solvency.
Of course, everybody is different, and this is where the beauty of the software world is - so many choices...

But the Windows, yes, it is getting too buggy and annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back