Has Toyota solved the truck frame rust problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying a new truck, and I do like the Toyota Tacoma. In fact I own one. But, I live in California so I don't have to worry about my frame(s) rusting out like so many people from other parts of the country have had to deal with.

However, I'd like to travel outside of California and likely move to another State at some point. From what I've read on other forums, I don't *think* that Toyota has ever really solved their frame rust problem in that they still buy their frames from the same manufacturer and (from what I've read) don't "treat" the frames with preservative any different, etc., etc.

IF what I've read is true...I won't even consider buying a Tacoma. I love the reliability, etc., of my truck but if a new Tacoma is still prone to problems...I'll but another brand.

If this thread has been discussed elsewhere, feel free to point me in that direction.

Thank you,
Ed

The worst frames were due to the supplier. Now Toyota should have been doing spot checks, but ultimately that suppler was blamed.

But I'd say no--and I'd put the rest in the same boat. Most of them do very very little for rust prevention. The flat black that they use (chassis black?) seems to be to keep rust at bay during shipping & assembly--and nothing else. The others might do better, better metal and thicker at that; but ultimately they all rot, and seem to need help if one wants to go to high age in the salt belt.

My understanding (as a Tacoma owner with this concern) is that the issue is mostly fixed.

The really bad rusted frames were sourced to a bad batch from Dana that weren't coated properly (or something along those lines). They figured it out around 2010 and corrected it then. Keep in mind that these were all '2nd gen' Tacomas which were from I think 04-15. A 3rd gen (2016+) Tacoma won't have the frame issue.

If I lived in a heavy salt region, I would definitely get Krown coating on my Tacoma, but anywhere else should be fine as long as you're wise enough to rinse off the truck (underside included) after each winter.

The older ones were REALLY bad. The newer ones are better, but not completely fixed. I've seen quite a few around here with rust issues. The 2016+ are too new to accurately say if they will have problems. If concerned I would definitely get it coated.

Originally Posted By: thooks
Vehicles in CA have rust problems?

The OP stated there aren't rust problems in CA, but he'd like to travel out of state and might be moving.

OP from what I've see the Toyota frame rust problem might have improved a bit, but not much.

Last edited:
As has been said, The rust issues associated with Tacoma's, Tundra's, and Sequoia's, was due to Dana Corp making the frames improperly. Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp as a result. With the hassle and bad press, I'm sure Toyota has since taken steps to ensure that rust-preventive measures are taken as speced.

ANY new vehicle which is operated in a highly corrosive environment can have rust issues, if the instructions I've seen in every owners manual to keep the vehicle clean when operated in such an environment, is ignored.

I live in an area that salts the roads heavily all winter long. Back in my consumer car repair days, I saw vehicles from all the manufacturers with severe rust issues. I have friends who are still in consumer car repair that tell me nothing has changed in that regard. The common theme among those cars? Negligent owners.

Bottom line: If you operate a vehicle in a highly corrosive environment, follow the owners manual instructions and wash off the salt as often as is necessary. Including the undercarriage. Also, protect the paint as necessary.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
As has been said, The rust issues associated with Tacoma's, Tundra's, and Sequoia's, was due to Dana Corp making the frames improperly. Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp as a result. With the hassle and bad press, I'm sure Toyota has since taken steps to ensure that rust-preventive measures are taken as speced.

Dunno. My FIL had an 08 tundra, and not only was the frame bad, but so much connecting hardware, brake componentry, etc. was bad, that he couldnt sell it under good conscience. The fords he has get beat upon (delivery use) without any sort of issues of that type.

My Sequoia got a free frame a few years ago due to the rust settlement. A lot of the rusted hardware, various brake lines, and the control arms were all replaced at no charge to me. This seemed to vary widely by dealer, some people got a lot of free replacement stuff, others didn't.

Within a few months of the frame replacement there were rust stains on various spots. They buffed out with some chrome polish, but rust stains nonetheless. There is no bubbling, peeling paint, or anything like that, even now, but after a few days of driving in the rain or after salt use due to snow, there are rust stains again in random spots. Overall it still looks pretty new. Whether or not the treatment for corrosion is any different from the original, I have no idea.

Something to note, they generally rusted from the inside out, so a basic visual inspection of the outside wont do it. You need to get a view inside using a borescope or similar type of inspection camera, and start poking and prodding with a pick, screwdriver, or whatever. My original frame looked fine on the outside. The inside had rot all over, and I managed to put a screwdriver right through a section that appeared fine from the outside.

I can assure anyone who has one, due diligence is necessary to keep these frames in good shape, and even that wont guarantee anything. As soon as its over 32 degrees in winter, all my cars get thoroughly washed, top bottom and everywhere in between. I get underneath and spray everywhere. Even this type of OCD didn't prevent my frame catastrophe.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Dunno. My FIL had an 08 tundra, and not only was the frame bad, but so much connecting hardware, brake componentry, etc. was bad, that he couldnt sell it under good conscience. The fords he has get beat upon (delivery use) without any sort of issues of that type.

There was a Ford F-150 talked about on here recently that had holes rusted in it's frame. About the same vintage as your FIL's truck.

As I said, I saw all makes and models of severely rusted vehicles when I was working on cars, and I have Mechanic fiends that still see the same thing. ANYTHING that is neglected in a highly corrosive environment, will have issues.

I have a 20 year old Toyota 4Runner which I bought new. It has spent every winter on salt-encrusted roads. In fact all I use it for these days is winter driving, and fourwheeling. It is rust free. Only because I knew what happens to all vehicles in a highly corrosive environment, so I washed it as often as necessary. I had a neighbor that had a Mercury Mountaineer (fancy ford explorer) that he bought the same week as I bought my 4Runner. He neglected to wash the salt off regularly throughout the winter. His Mountaineer was hauled off for scrap during the cash-for-clunkers debacle, because it was rusted to the point of being unsafe, and it was in need of yet another transmission rebuild.

The point is, anything will have problems with rust, if it's neglected in a highly corrosive environment.

The Dana Corp framed Toyota's were an exception, that has long since been resolved.

I've seen even old Toyotas with rusted out frames. It's not just a Dana thing as I'm sure they make other frames. Their boxed in design holds salt, dirt and allows corrosion to happen.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I've seen even old Toyotas with rusted out frames. It's not just a Dana thing as I'm sure they make other frames. Their boxed in design holds salt, dirt and allows corrosion to happen.

As I said...

The point is, anything will have problems with rust, if it's neglected in a highly corrosive environment.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
^^^These especially.

I get it. You especially don't like Toyota's.

I've seen and worked on them all. All makes are susceptible to severe rust when neglected.

The improperly made Dana Corp framed Toyota's were an exception. They were worse, because Dana Corp dropped the ball in making the frames, and Toyota did too, by not verifying what they were getting from their supplier. The courts determined that Dana Corp was more culpable, which is why they had to pay Toyota 25 million.

Not sure about Toyota but i can share a recent experience with our 2013 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax....In one Ohio year the frame had corroded so badly that were were flakes of rusting dropping off everywhere..Even Chevrolet agreed and they removed the bed and "undercoated" the entire truck...18 months later it was worse then ever ! We got rid of that truck 1 week before the 5 year warranty expired....Brake lines, frame, looked like they were rotten. We also have two Ram Cummins and they are 13 and 10 years old respectively...All driven through Ohio winters...frames, bake lines, etc. look fine given the years and mileage...Must be a different treatment process used on them.

I believe people used to say american and swedish/german vehicles had better corrosion treatment due to the wintery home markets and japanese/korean vehicles had inferior rust protection due to warmer home markets. Now who knows, rust takes a while before it makes serious problems. The treatments probably are getting better but the salt use on the road is increasing as well.

That's a funny looking Toyota:
f3lkzbqhjei01.jpg

Some pics of my '06 T4R summer of 2017 132k WI. miles prior to treatment...no worries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back