Has anyone upgraded to macOS 14.0 Sonoma?

Yeah, I knew there was an extra letter but figured you'd know what I meant 😆

I spoke to soon about that old MBA '13 too. I'm not certain that OCLP supports Sonoma yet so I ended up trashing the OS on it.... Doing a recovery now and will see what OS I can actually put on it. The way OCLP tricks macOS is thorough enough that the macOS software update mechanism told me Sonoma was available and I went ahead with the update. That was a mistake....
Well, this explains it:
OCLP said:
This release currently only supports macOS Big Sur through Ventura. macOS Sonoma support is still in development and will release on October 2nd, 2023. See following comment for more info

Yeah, I found that too late 🤣 Big Sur has been restored and Ventura is being built and prepared to install soon.

Yeah, I knew there was an extra letter but figured you'd know what I meant 😆

I spoke to soon about that old MBA '13 too. I'm not certain that OCLP supports Sonoma yet so I ended up trashing the OS on it.... Doing a recovery now and will see what OS I can actually put on it. The way OCLP tricks macOS is thorough enough that the macOS software update mechanism told me Sonoma was available and I went ahead with the update. That was a mistake....
So you’re saying I shouldn’t try it on my 2013 MBP? I havent put Monterey or whatever is the latest allowed currently on it yet. Runs great…

So you’re saying I shouldn’t try it on my 2013 MBP? I havent put Monterey or whatever is the latest allowed currently on it yet. Runs great…
No, no, no, this was my screw-up. The '13 MBA is back up and running Ventura and runs great. Officially, the last version it is supposed to run is Big Sur so it's currently (2) versions "newer" (Big Sur, Monterrey, now Ventura).

This patch tool, OCLP, doesn't work with Sonoma (yet). It's actually odd because they are usually keeping up with Apple and unofficially working side-by-side on upcoming versions. They do say it's almost ready but with (2) hang-ups (neither of which would affect you or I):

The main challenges we still face with macOS Sonoma:
  • T1 support (ie. Touch ID)
MacBookPro13,2, 13,3, 14,2 and 14,3​
  • Widget support on Intel 3802-based GPUs
Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell​
Nvidia Kepler excluded​

Don't care for the non-changeable pre school font on the lock screen....

Seems to have initiated some page load hangs in safari...

No other issues so far on M1 MBP.

Here's a feature (well, I guess it's a regression correction) that I just discovered in Sonoma: When printing, the dialog box defaults to the # of copies box to make it easy to change, if necessary, the # you want. It worked this way in Monterrey, changed in Ventura, and is back the way it was before.

And OCLP now supports Sonoma. Not sure if I want to be a brave, early adopter yet though ! Or maybe I just will and worst case, just have to wipe it to go back to Ventura....

@DuckRyder
Curious if you are still getting page hangs.
Ive been "chicken" to upgrade but just the other day I upgraded Ventura to 13.6 as it said some kind of security update. Anyway, nothing drastic but I seem to have some funny things happen now and then. Slow page loads, even typing in BITOG at times. Could be a fluke, dont know. but think I am going to wait for an update to 14.0.1 Sonoma.

Cal me crazy but I have had issues with my Canon MF445 at times with my Mac mini running intel i5... years back Apple and Canon couldn't figure it out... its been running perfect right now but sometimes on an update it gets funky then eventually better. Sometimes a long annoying lag before it prints and right now as soon as you click the mouse it works fine.

Yes, i'm not sure what changed and its somewhat infrequent but a bit annoying.

My advice to my bride was to wait for the .1 version...
Im still on
Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 12.26.09 PM.png

I have to pay more attention but I am/have been getting a large amount of hangs on BITOG and some really funky stuff when trying to post. Sometimes something I typed someplace else starts showing up in the text I am typing in a response to someone else.
So many times I am starting to wonder if something is infected but I dont remember it happening on other sites.

Anyway, thought I would let you know in case you are experiencing some of this. Last two days many times I cant scroll in DuckDuck GO and have to go to google sometimes. But I THINK it only happens when I am also logged into BITOG on another page. I may try turning off hide my IP. I'll also pay more attention by logging out of BITOG and closing the page.. At first it was infrequent but now it's becoming annoying.
DDG freezes with BITOG closed. Going to upgrade maybe that will fix what is going on. I dont have issues on many sites... but just weird stuff on some.

Edit/update = I turned off hide my IP in Safari - Mac OS version 13.6 and issue cleared up in DDG
I dont know if coincidence or not but the issue cleared immediately, too soon to know, just did it.

Last edited:
Back